Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

Out of interest, are the parents Permanent Residents or have they remained here on work permits? My understanding is that the English standard for reading writing , comprehension and dialogue should be at an IELTS level 5 . As you know , I have been helping an Hungarian family here. NZIS have highlighted 'concerns' about English language standards which hampers their application.both children are fluent. The parents are not far behind verbally but the written ability needs work.

My condolences to the entire family for their loss.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Out of interest, are the parents Permanent Residents or have they remained here on work permits? My understanding is that the English standard for reading writing , comprehension and dialogue should be at an IELTS level 5 . As you know , I have been helping an Hungarian family here. NZIS have highlighted 'concerns' about English language standards which hampers their application.both children are fluent. The parents are not far behind verbally but the written ability needs work.

My condolences to the entire family for their loss.
They are permanent residents Bev and have been in NZ 15 years. That is around the time we first had the big infux of Asian's coming here. They used to come in busloads around our area looking at real estate and sections to build.

For the first few years the family were here you would never see a curtain open and certainly never saw Mum and Dad out and about. I often saw the young family members around and got to know them first. They used to do all the shopping etc for their parents.

Over the last few years the Asian's that have come seem to have opened up more to the Kiwi lifestyle. They walk a lot in the evenings and often stop for a chat and ask about plants etc.

I have a feeling that the English level your Hungarian family are dealing with is a result of lots of Asians coming with poor language skills during that influx.

While I was still nursing I mentored three Doctors from overseas to help them pass NZ medical exams. They certainly knew their "stuff" and their pronounciation was reasonable but their written word was a real handicap.

I have recently being asked to assist a surgeon from Iraq who recently failed the NZ exams and I can converse with him really well.

Thanks for your kind thoughts for the family. The funeral was today. It was a Buddist service and very moving.