Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

Originally Posted by Batty
We don't have kids (here) and don't hike and I love it here. It's 'only' the money that takes people away - if there was a turnaround in x number of years most people would come back. I know. I'm Irish and we did the same thing. As soon as there was money there most people went home, followed by the emigrants, and now you're just as likely to have an English builder to do your work (we did) as an Irish one. How times change. It's no reflection on the country or its people - rather the Government of the day and its policies. My husband was away from here for 13 years and it ate at him each and every day - the only reason he didn't come back was because of me and my commitments. I'd say 90% of the Kiwis who leave here only ever go for the short term - whether or not that becomes their reality I don't know - I do know they have a love of New Zealand that's more than patriotism - it goes way deeper than that. This may not be an old country in terms of European settlement but there is a spiritual pull that's as old as time itself for most Kiwis. Or at least, that's my experience.
You have to either be a kiwi or married to one to understand that pull Batty.

NZer's have been leaving here for their OE for generations and I think you will find that despite the many opportunities in Aus in the long term they will be drawn home.
When you are looking at Kiwi's leaving you also have to factor in emigrants who come to NZ as a means to gain entry into Aus.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand immigration is declining while emigration is increasing.

There are loads of Kiwi's here (Brisbane) and most of them have no intention to go back to NZ, basically its the money they get here, once you ern it it's hard to go back to less of a wage.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
There are loads of Kiwi's here (Brisbane) and most of them have no intention to go back to NZ, basically its the money they get here, once you ern it it's hard to go back to less of a wage.
I have been one of those Kiwi's and said the same thing once. But it is the pull that gets most in the end.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the Kiwi's you have met are second, third or fourth generation Aus residents.
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I would be interested in knowing how many of the Kiwi's you have met are second, third or fourth generation Aus residents.
That does not really "pop" in to the conversation and I'm not asking
Old Nov 24th 2007, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

It's surprising how quickly things can turn around though.

If the Australian economy does eventually go t*ts-up (over-reliance on commodities), there'll be lot's of expat Kiwi's with no work.

Kip
Old Nov 24th 2007, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kippers
It's surprising how quickly things can turn around though.

If the Australian economy does eventually go t*ts-up (over-reliance on commodities), there'll be lot's of expat Kiwi's with no work.

Kip
You could say that about anywhere, saying that with Kev getting in time will tell.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 12:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We found this lead article in the Nelson Mail yesterday very interesting.Of course, it wasn't just the headlines that caught our eye. The fact that they are around the same age as us and he is also a plumber drew our attention. Phil hears this type of story quite often around the building sites.
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Good read that Bev's, tempted?

At the moment our house is a hostel for people moving from NZ
A mate's here now and we have a family coming for a rekey 15th December with a view to moving over in January.

Your more than Welcome to stay

Did I ever tell you how close we are to the Gold Coast
Old Nov 25th 2007, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Tooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud ofTooanfrom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

When you are looking at Kiwi's leaving you also have to factor in emigrants who come to NZ as a means to gain entry into Aus.

This is one of the most telling quotes I have heard of.

Just another tangent--we have just had a young man killed by "Boy Racers"-he was loading/unloading a delivery truck. He and his family have been here for 15 yrs--the family had to have an interpreter--Huh? Fifteen years and "No speekee English" That's the way to intergrate into your new country
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Did I ever tell you how close we are to the Gold Coast
Perhaps
Old Nov 25th 2007, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Perhaps

Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:14 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom

Just another tangent--we have just had a young man killed by "Boy Racers"-he was loading/unloading a delivery truck. He and his family have been here for 15 yrs--the family had to have an interpreter--Huh? Fifteen years and "No speekee English" That's the way to intergrate into your new country
I saw that - and had the same thought
Old Nov 25th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

You could say that about anywhere, saying that with Kev getting in time will tell.

Yes true.
But Australia's boom has the look of a 'gold rush' funded largely by a rampant China.

The traditional economy was agricultural, and we know what's happening to that.

Kip
Old Nov 25th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Batty
I saw that - and had the same thought
I saw that but was not surprised in the least
Old Nov 25th 2007, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tooanfrom

It so happens that the family live in our street .... three doors down to be exact.

The parents do have some issues with comprehending the Kiwi dialogue but they do speak English reasonably well and I have had quite a number of conversations with them.

All the younger members of the family have been to school and/or university here in NZ.

My understanding is someone from their own culture has been assisting them through the complex sudden death, crime investigation and assosciated legal process that is taking place.

They are victims of crime and they have rights that are currently being met by a Mandarin Victim Support worker and I am pretty pleased to see they are.

Last edited by Bellasmum; Nov 25th 2007 at 11:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.