Reload this Page >

New Zealand hopefuls

New Zealand hopefuls

Old Feb 23rd 2003, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

bartender is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Who else is going to NZ?

Hi
Help!! I'm at the point where I am trying to get info on removal firms, what to take or leave, how to deal with pensions, etc. Lots of different viewpoints, but don't know anyone else going through it or having done it all. I'm totally confused!
Anyone have any answers, advice, suggestions, more questions????
George

Last edited by bartender; Feb 24th 2003 at 7:14 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2003, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who else is going to NZ?

Originally posted by bartender
Hi
Help!! I'm at the point where I am trying to get info on removal firms, what to take or leave, how to deal with pensions, etc. Lots of different viewpoints, but don't know anyone else going through it or having done it all. I'm totally confused!
Anyone have any answers, advice, suggestions, more questions????
George

hi bartender,
sorry i can't really answer any of your questions but i want to add one of my own and also pop yours back up to the top again for someone who knows!

mine is about the settlement funds we will lodge in nz. are they taxed in any way or due any other big charges/fees we should know about?

will appreciate the answer to this. especially inertested in case we have to lodge it twice ie once to have it assessed by nzis and then again when we go! many thanks
Old Feb 26th 2003, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Who else is going to NZ?

Originally posted by jajpe
hi bartender,
sorry i can't really answer any of your questions but i want to add one of my own and also pop yours back up to the top again for someone who knows!

mine is about the settlement funds we will lodge in nz. are they taxed in any way or due any other big charges/fees we should know about?

will appreciate the answer to this. especially inertested in case we have to lodge it twice ie once to have it assessed by nzis and then again when we go! many thanks
Hi Jajpe
Don't know the correct answer to your question, as I don't need settlement funds for the extra two points. However, I recall being told that you don't pay tax on resettlement money.

Which brings me to the next follow-on quesyion to yours, do you have to pay tax on any/all the money you bring with you to NZ?? I have a house to sell here in London, which will give me considerable (in UK terms) funds over there. Is there a minimum/maximum that you are allowed to take over before it is taxed? Or is there no limit if you are emmigrating?

George
Old Feb 26th 2003, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

arthurm is an unknown quantity at this point

you can bring as much as you like without it being taxed.

you'll be taxed on the interest it earns if you put it in the bank here.
Old Feb 27th 2003, 3:23 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by arthurm
you can bring as much as you like without it being taxed.

you'll be taxed on the interest it earns if you put it in the bank here.
To add to that: the NZ withholding tax will only be 2% on the interest you earn if your bank has approved status to levy non-resident withholding tax. Obviously this does not continue when you become resident. If you don't get this permission, withholding tax levied on interest will be much higher.

But according to UK law you should also declare any income on your UK tax return.

Confirmed: you can bring as much money as you like to NZ without being taxed.

Cheers - Don
Old Feb 27th 2003, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
To add to that: the NZ withholding tax will only be 2% on the interest you earn if your bank has approved status to levy non-resident withholding tax. Obviously this does not continue when you become resident. If you don't get this permission, withholding tax levied on interest will be much higher.

But according to UK law you should also declare any income on your UK tax return.

Confirmed: you can bring as much money as you like to NZ without being taxed.

Cheers - Don
Thanks for that - one worry off my head. But if I leave money over here, you say I get taxed on it over in NZ? I was thinking of leaving a slush fund for my yearly visits back - and to see daughter through college. Would I need to declare this?

George
Old Feb 28th 2003, 3:14 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ taxes you on worldwide income, incl UK income such as bank a/c savings interest.