British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Zealand here we come (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-zealand-here-we-come-718403/)

shuglu72 May 25th 2011 2:03 pm

New Zealand here we come

Deep Breath.....Hi folks. Been watching the chat on here for a year or so while our house has been on the market and its been very useful in lots of ways. House is now sold...YAY!!! and now its time to PANIC!!!!!!!!!!.
I'm married to a lovely kiwi gal and she can't wait to get back home almost as much as i can't wait out get out of this country. We have a little girl(2) who i'm sure will love the beaches even more now she can appreciate them a bit more.
In a nutshell and all going to plan :fingerscrossed: we're hoping to ship in early August and be there ourselves around October. Might as well get there in time for summer eh :thumbsup:
We were over last year and sorted bank accounts out etc etc so that bits all done. We will be moving in with her Dad initially until we find work. We'd ideally like to be in/around Tauranga but we'll see how things turn out once we're there. Not sure what i'm looking fwd to the most really.....fish n chips on the beach in Mission bay or Tui beer. lol. Only kidding there's soooo much to look fwd to.

scrubbedexpat094 May 25th 2011 2:36 pm

Re: New Zealand here we come

Kia ora Shuglu, welcome to our cosy NZ forum. Very glad that you have decided to come out of 'lurk' mode & join us. Congratulations on selling the house :thumbup:. The panic is normal but grab a bottle of kiwi wine & you'll be fine.

Good luck with your plans & happy posting :D

shuglu72 May 25th 2011 2:41 pm

Mmmmm a bottle of wine. Now we're talking.;)

Am Loolah May 26th 2011 9:50 pm

Welcome to BE.:thumbup:

Have an introductory one on us ... :drinkwine:

I'm in Papamoa and love it, been here just over 4 years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else for now.:thumbup:

Triliteral May 29th 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 9390514)
Welcome to BE.:thumbup:

Have an introductory one on us ... :drinkwine:

I'm in Papamoa and love it, been here just over 4 years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else for now.:thumbup:

Hi Shuglu
Sounds like you're half way to being a real Kiwi already! We live in Northland. I came here at the age of 8, but my partner, Peter, moved out here 9 years ago. It's a wonderful place to bring up kids. Tauranga is lovely - great beaches and close to the Coromandel for bush walks etc! Good luck with your new life here
Tri

nicolelocin214 Jun 29th 2011 12:04 pm

Just wanted to say hi. Im a kiwi gal like your wife and my partner and I and our two kids (18 months and 3 months) are moving out to NZ hopefully at the end of the year. Moving to the south though.
Just wondering how your plans are coming along?
Now that your house has sold what are you doing for accommodation? Im trying to put together a plan of action at the minute as to how is best to do the move and shipping. Are you shipping belongings out?
:D

shuglu72 Jun 29th 2011 1:01 pm

Hi
We're taking everything except the kitchen sink i'd say. At the moment the house sale is all going through ok..fingers crossed so we should have a date really soon for moving out. Our stuff is going straight away to my wife's Dads house in Auckland and i think we'll be following on around Novenber time. Didn't see the point in rushing out in the middle of their Winter. We've found a short term let which wasn't easy i have to say, but its worth the trouble so you don't get tied into 6/12 month contracts. Ours is kind of a holiday cottage normally but i've found that most places like this will do you a special price for a longer term/no contract let. Police records are back clear and we'll be sending off for the main Visa shortly. The partner visa is not as complex i don't think as the normal one but did people on here find that using one of the Government registered guys (as is now required) a big help. How much do they normally charge?.
We're even considering taking the car but thats a whole world of pain and to be honest theres enough to do already.
Good Luck with your move though.:D