Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or France??????

New Zealand or France??????

Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

AngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or France??????

Originally Posted by wez130
Visa applications under the parent category have been suspended recently so I wouldn't rely on that route.
I know that the parent visa would relate to my parent coming over not us going to be near a parent. I've already filled the visa for out and with a job offer we have plenty of points so should be granted a visa because of his trade however we would have a problem taking my mum with us to nz which we had intended to do so in that respect france would be better. I wouldn't consider nz without looking into the visa's. It's a case of which should we opt for. Were would we settle best also were considering the uncertainty in europe after brexit. There's lots to consider.

Last edited by AngelsEyes; Dec 9th 2016 at 7:37 am.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Jitters about moving to NZ

Originally Posted by AngelsEyes
We are a late 30's couple with two youngish boys (who both play rugby in UK) my husbands mum lives in NZ. We thought about moving 10 years ago but didn't as we thought we would give our country the best shot.

My husband is a very skilled builder and I have a range of skills from interior design to running my own cafe. we have built a house in the UK that has alot of equity despite this we are always tight on cash every mth and can't really afford to do much i.e. meals or holidays what's the point in having this asset but being broke all the time.

Also the small rural village we live in the people here aren't really our sort of people so we started looking at moving we first thought France then we worried about the state of things in Europe at the moment and also our kids would have to be taught in French which would be tricky so we thought about Australia too expensive for property, now were thinking Nelson or Marlbourgh in NZ.
We would be building a home and prob setting up a family business, cafe or restaurant. We would like to grow or rear most of our food which we can't do where we currently live as the climate isn't right and not enough space.
We won't need a mortgage and could prob manage for 2 years or so without earning anything.

I'm just worried about giving up this fab house we've built then getting to NZ and regretting it. I'm a very sociable person and would want to make friends i'm a bit worried about comments people have made about Kiwi's being not too easy to get on with.

I have no problem being rural but would like access to clothes shops good hairdressers say an hours drive away maybe a weekend treat of cocktails and a meal. Would this be possible in the areas i've mentioned.

Oh also worried about people talking about quality of food and limited choice in supermarkets what specifically are people referring to? I make all of our food from scratch and don't buy processed foods.

Any comments would be appreciated
First of all. Your comment about 'regretting it'. Re either country you are never going to know until you do it. I think that humans, being as we are do not do stuff out of the fear of regretting it.

I am impulsive and do not overly chew the cud on stuff. It can be very liberating and it can be disasterous. I have been liberated and seen many more than one disaster with my 'devil may care attitude'.

However life is for living and I really do not regret virtually any of my screw ups. They all came with a learning curve....some steeper than others.

My ex wife and I had the same choice, France or NZ. I am half French and thus somewhat of a Francophile. We chose NZ. Don't regret it at all. Unless you have the ability to speak 'commercial french' nursing was not going to be viable for my ex. She was A level standard. So in the end we chose NZ

You have the added advantage that you have a very close relative here. That must be a huge pull. My opinion? If you can, come to NZ. Building skills are very much needed here and so long as your man can fulfill the NZ visa requirements re certification and or all other hoops you have to jump through he will never be short of work.

NZ, especially for young children is just wonderful. NZ has been a total success for me if only for the 11 years of wonderful life my children Have had here. Good luck. PS ref food, all the raw ingredients in NZ are just as good as in the UK. I cook from scratch too. Never had a problem with the issue of any food in NZ..just sometimes not as much choice as in the UK but you get used to that and I have found that I have become even more resourceful with my cooking (which I REALLY love) as a result.

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 9th 2016 at 6:35 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

AngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond reputeAngelsEyes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
First of all. Your comment about 'regretting it'. Re either country you are never going to know until you do it. I think that humans, being as we are do not do stuff out of the fear of regretting it.

I am impulsive and do not overly chew the cud on stuff. It can be very liberating and it can be disasterous. I have been liberated and seen many more than one disaster with my 'devil may care attitude'.

However life is for living and I really do not regret virtually any of my screw ups. They all came with a learning curve....some steeper than others.

My ex wife and I had the same choice, France or NZ. I am half French and thus somewhat of a Francophile. We chose NZ. Don't regret it at all. Unless you have the ability to speak 'commercial french' nursing was not going to be viable for my ex. She was A level standard. So in the end we chose NZ

You have the added advantage that you have a very close relative here. That must be a huge pull. My opinion? If you can, come to NZ. Building skills are very much needed here and so long as your man can fulfill the NZ visa requirements re certification and or all other hoops you have to jump through he will never be short of work.

NZ, especially for young children is just wonderful. NZ has been a total success for me if only for the 11 years of wonderful life my children Have had here. Good luck. PS ref food, all the raw ingredients in NZ are just as good as in the UK. I cook from scratch too. Never had a problem with the issue of any food in NZ..just sometimes not as much choice as in the UK but you get used to that and I have found that I have become even more resourceful with my cooking (which I REALLY love) as a result.
My husband is exactly the same he never regrets anything he chooses to do. I'm a worrier. But your right life is for living. I think for me NZ is the right choice but my husband has lived in NZ when he was 19 for a year and he would prefer France Oh well maybe we'll travel for a bit before we decide. X
Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is exactly the same he never regrets anything he chooses to do. I'm a worrier. But your right life is for living. I think for me NZ is the right choice but my husband has lived in NZ when he was 19 for a year and he would prefer France Oh well maybe we'll travel for a bit before we decide. X
Good luck!! You could do both!!
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

My husbands trade is building site manager its a sought after trade and with his mum living there we should get a visa no problem.
It will be a job offer first before a visa. If you go the skilled migrant route to residency then yes, a close family member helps a little & gives 10 points. Automatic pull is currently at 160.

As long as his degree , quals and project management exp matches the NZ standard he will be good to go.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

My mother in law lives in NZ and she's been desperate for us to move there but when the GBP crash after Brexit happened we started to reconsider.
I think for me NZ is the right choice but my husband has lived in NZ when he was 19 for a year and he would prefer France
I just wonder how you balance out these two issues and whether you yourself have visited NZ to form an opinion yourself or whether you are just bowing to pressure and perhaps some rose-tinted viewpoints of your MIL. Your husband clearly has a bigger draw to be here to be nearer to his mum and the fact that he's not the driving force behind a move to NZ does seem a little odd. Sounds like you need to have a good heart to heart with him rather than asking people here to validate you and your MILs thoughts.

You also mention having an autistic son and perhaps should have a good read around this forum on that topic, as experiences of others I have read would not favour NZ as being such a great move for him.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:46 pm
`

I dunno. Both us in the NZ forum and on the French forum must sound like a bunch of naysayers in a way which may seem a bit odd to the OP given we've all done as they wish to do.

I think it is fab that this family want the adventure to try living in another country and it would be good if they got to scratch that itch. It just needs a whole lot of talking and thinking. See the fact from the myth and all that stuff.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
I dunno. Both us in the NZ forum and on the French forum must sound like a bunch of naysayers in a way which may seem a bit odd to the OP given we've all done as they wish to do.

I think it is fab that this family want the adventure to try living in another country and it would be good if they got to scratch that itch. It just needs a whole lot of talking and thinking. See the fact from the myth and all that stuff.
I am not part that 'bunch'. I have been quite the opposite of a naysayer. Quite the opposite. I do feel that some people on this site are patronising (as one of the new contributors has just mooted and now does not wish to use the site anymore) to people who are thinking of doing what we have done. This site is no longer what it used to be back in 2005. Shame methinks.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS

Thank you for your comments we've been thinking about this move for some time we won't be staying in the UK that's for sure but yea an adventure is what we want. Nobody is pressurising anyone as suggested on one of the comments we just want to make the right move for our boys. Were not a mainstream family so what works for one maybe doesn't for others just wanted to get a perspective on life in both countries. We have visited both as tourists but that's different from living there I think our family consensus is were gonna maybe rent our house out and travel for a year.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 10:09 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I am not part that 'bunch'. I have been quite the opposite of a naysayer. Quite the opposite. I do feel that some people on this site are patronising (as one of the new contributors has just mooted and now does not wish to use the site anymore) to people who are thinking of doing what we have done. This site is no longer what it used to be back in 2005. Shame methinks.
Nothing is going to be the same as 2005 or even 2011 when we we were looking, things have moved on since then, more people on the internet for one, so comparing life/situations to even 2 years ago really isn't going to give an up to date picture. Requirements to enable uplift of visa had changed just in the last 6months and no doubt will change again in the new year with jobs taken off and possibly some added. Ability to afford decent housing has changed in lots of countries.
Every persons opinion is valid and just because some are on the negative side goes to show that emigrating is hard and does not always work out however much you want it to or how much research you do. Some are able to make changes for the better, some return and find a new respect and appreciation. Some move elsewhere, be it another area or country.
The responses today are more valid then the responses, even 12 months ago as life evolves and things change daily.
The fact that people are more willing to give their personal opinion and experiences and have a platform to do that, shows how far the internet has opened the world up to the masses. Just look at the first hand blogs/live feeds we can access from all around the world, something not done a few years ago.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 11:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

If you're lifting up rocks and looking underneath the surface and looking for a change then you're gonna find things that you don't like - we struggle to agree on the benefits and differences from one end of Auckland to the other, far less from one end of a country to another or one whole country or continent to another.

When people come on here asking for opinion on one whole country versus another then it stands to reason they will get a range of responses and challenges to their thinking. It's a bit of a stretch to think that everyone will agree and be on board with what is often an idealised and naive view from afar. The so-called 'naysayers' are usually responding to the bright red flags which are hoisted up the mast for all to see and will invevitably come to the fore when it is abundantly clear that the original poster hasn't really thought things through and is expecting a move to another country to be the panacea to all the issues in their current life.

It stands to reason also that any newer posters when embarking on a life changing and difficult journey will face some flack and may get a little upset when they start to fathom the wider implications of a move to any other country are not totally in sync with the dream. If people lack some basic resilience and are dropping out of the game in the early stages because someone asked a few awkward questions or mentioned a few things they don't like and then you seriously have to wonder if they are made of the right stuff to turn their whole life upside down and move across the world.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
If you're lifting up rocks and looking underneath the surface and looking for a change then you're gonna find things that you don't like - we struggle to agree on the benefits and differences from one end of Auckland to the other, far less from one end of a country to another or one whole country or continent to another.

When people come on here asking for opinion on one whole country versus another then it stands to reason they will get a range of responses and challenges to their thinking. It's a bit of a stretch to think that everyone will agree and be on board with what is often an idealised and naive view from afar. The so-called 'naysayers' are usually responding to the bright red flags which are hoisted up the mast for all to see and will invevitably come to the fore when it is abundantly clear that the original poster hasn't really thought things through and is expecting a move to another country to be the panacea to all the issues in their current life.

It stands to reason also that any newer posters when embarking on a life changing and difficult journey will face some flack and may get a little upset when they start to fathom the wider implications of a move to any other country are not totally in sync with the dream. If people lack some basic resilience and are dropping out of the game in the early stages because someone asked a few awkward questions or mentioned a few things they don't like and then you seriously have to wonder if they are made of the right stuff to turn their whole life upside down and move across the world.
Think you are missing the point I was trying to get across or maybe I was not very clear. I was, in a polite way trying to say that IMO some of the poster on here, the ones who have 'done it', have a bit of a 'holier than than thou' attitude in some of their reposts. They may not mean it but that is the way it looks to some others and me.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Think you are missing the point I was trying to get across or maybe I was not very clear. I was, in a polite way trying to say that IMO some of the poster on here, the ones who have 'done it', have a bit of a 'holier than than thou' attitude in some of their reposts. They may not mean it but that is the way it looks to some others and me.
as with everything on tinternet its in the eye of the beholder.
reading something one day may have different response if you read it on another, many factors to take into account when you read things. Preconceived views of a poster could be one, how you are feeling that day etc.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
as with everything on tinternet its in the eye of the beholder.
reading something one day may have different response if you read it on another, many factors to take into account when you read things. Preconceived views of a poster could be one, how you are feeling that day etc.
Sorry, it does not make good, what I and some others perceive as a 'poor and unwarranted' reponse to some new posters. Like it or not, some people are offended by the attitude of some folk on this site. Just like we all have differing opinions about all things NZ, I guess you and I and others beg to differ on the point I am endeavouring to make.

Last edited by Genesis; Dec 10th 2016 at 3:08 am.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 3:40 am
`

I think our family consensus is were gonna maybe rent our house out and travel for a year.
I like that. I like that a lot. I hope your family has the most fab time of it be it here, France , Oz or anywhere that takes the fancy. In the grand scheme of life ,a year out is nothing and you will all gain so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.