Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand Forum R.I.P!

Originally Posted by sky
No
Good
Old May 4th 2007, 11:59 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 'almost' always happy in NZ. The times I'm not I tend to keep to myself and as my hubby says 'a trouble shared .... is a trouble doubled' I do think people from the UK are actually quite lucky here because most times you go out you'll get to hear other people who sound like you. There are so many UK accents around. For me, I hardly ever hear someone who sounds like me and that can really get to me sometimes - I'm even tearing up now just thinking about it. I almost followed someone on Queen street one day because I'd heard them speak with an Irish accent

It's different things that get to people and it's all specific to them. So, even if you're happy (wherever you are) 99% of the time, there will always be that 1% when you're not and it's a shame if it manifests itself in a litany of complaints that really aren't the problem at all. The reason I don't complain if something is bugging me is because tomorrow it'll be forgotten by me but someone is sure to bring it up as an example of my 'unhappiness' six months down the line (whether it be here or in 'real' life) when in reality it was only a glitch and didn't affect me for more than a few hours or days.
Old May 5th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
I would agree that name-calling and being personally offensive is not on. It's also nice to read/hear about someone's happy life from time to time - but that's it, it's 'nice'. Life is a bit of a sh*t a lot of the time for a lot of people, wherever you are, and a standard coping mechanism is to resort to humour. Nearly all bad things are funny if you look at them in the right way (barring a recent death or similar, clearly) and I think the negative posters are simply finding the humour in the bad. It's a fact of life: good = nice, sometimes exciting for the persons directly involved; bad = laugh your socks off funny for anyone who chooses to take it in the way it is mostly intended. Billy Connolly did not get where he is today by talking about the joys of life.

And no, I am not comparing myself or any other poster to the Big Yin - he is (as we all are, I suppose) unique.

It should also be mentioned by way of reminder that finding the humour in the bad also brings a certain amount of exaggeration with it - making it all the more funny.

Insults to a person aside, I can't understand why people don't find things funny more often. Laughter is the best medicine, as the old cliche goes (of course, if you are genuinely happy all the time you may consider that you don't need any medicine - but if you are genuinely happy ALL the time, you are also a liar, and I'm not being personal).

I am not suggesting that happy people shouldn't say they are happy, just that all people should try to find the funny (read 'bad'/'negative'/ 'bitter' etc.) funny.

Not including pot luck dinners. They are not at all funny.

Ever.

Good Post. And if the laughter medicine fails...there's always Vodka!
Old May 5th 2007, 2:18 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Batty
For me, I hardly ever hear someone who sounds like me and that can really get to me sometimes - I'm even tearing up now just thinking about it.
I'm sorta like that but only opposite. I hear someone with my accent and I think, 'Get off my turf you sons-of-bitches! How far do I gotta go not to be around you all for crying out loud?'