Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand films - Goodbye Pork Pie

New Zealand films - Goodbye Pork Pie

Old Jan 20th 2006, 6:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile New Zealand films - Goodbye Pork Pie

Anyone who has been in NZ a while will appreciate this trip down memory lane...

My MIL in NZ sent me a DVD of a 1980's New Zealand film called "Goodbye Pork Pie". It tells the story of 2 guys who steal a car in Kaitaia and drive down to Invercargill. Their adventures along the way are absolutely hilarious and totally New Zealand style... go find a copy if you can.

Here's a great link to some info about the film -

http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/archiv...lastlaugh.html

I do like NZ and Oz films (I'm not talking about Lord of the Rings / Narnia etc) - among my favourite NZ films are Once were Warriors and Whale Rider - they are so different from the usual Hollywood stuff and so emotive. Favourite Oz films - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and The Dish.

Anyone else prefer NZ/Oz films to US ones?

Cheers

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jan 20th 2006 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 4:29 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Zealand films - Goodbye Pork Pie

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

My MIL in NZ sent me a DVD of a 1980's New Zealand film called "Goodbye Pork Pie". It tells the story of 2 guys who steal a car in Kaitaia and drive down to Invercargill. Their adventures along the way are absolutely hilarious and totally New Zealand style... go find a copy if you can.

I do like NZ and Oz films (I'm not talking about Lord of the Rings / Narnia etc) - among my favourite NZ films are Once were Warriors and Whale Rider - they are so different from the usual Hollywood stuff and so emotive. Favourite Oz films - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and The Dish.

Cheers

Buzzy
Seen Whale Rider three times, it's a great film - even the males in the household liked it. Once Were Warriors though - eek! Got it on DVD, first time couldn't get past the bit where he beats her first time, second time I got through that bit then had to stop at the uncle scene. I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to stuff like that. I'll look out for the Goodbye Pork Pie one though, sounds good.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:12 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Buzzy
I remember Pork Pie. Not a bad little flick. You might like to try and track down a copy of an earlier NZ movie (mid to late 70's I think) called "Sleeping Dogs".It was one of Sam Neil's first well known movie roles. Was directed by Roger Donaldson (think he lives in the US thesedays). The late Bruno Laurence also stars in it.

Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Buzzy

How about "Strange Bedfellows", starring Michael Caton and Paul Hogan?

Gill
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:54 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Yay, I remember "Goodbye Pork Pie", it was one of the first movies that really impressed on our generation that a Hollywood-style action movie that didn't suck could be made in NZ. I remember being very impressed by the car stunts at the time although they're fairly tame by today's standards. It was a tremendous buzz to see Wellington and other NZ locations in a movie too.

The director Geoff Murphy really doesn't get enough credit for jump-starting the NZ film industry in the 80s with films like Utu and The Quiet Earth. Smash Palace is another good NZ movie from around that time. The late great Bruno Lawrence was in most of them.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Check out "Welcome To Whoop Whoop"............An Outback tale.

A very strange but highly amusing Ozzie film, be prepared for some extremely course language.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 7:30 am
UK, NZ and SA User

leaseuk is on a distinguished road

What about The Navigator - A Medieval Odessy - 1988. That's a great tale. All done in black and white until they break thru and turn up in Auckland present day when it is in colour.

We can watch it with modern knowledge but to the medieval people in the story the plague is an evil and when they flee from it they do not realise they are taking it back to their people in the village. They journey through to the modern world in the quest to beat the evil and see dragons (cars at night) and tv shops. There are strong medieval Cumbrian/Northumbrian accents to get used to. It has a great twist at the end.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

Saw a really good film on the Air NZ flight back - 'The world's fastest indian' its all about Burt Munro, a New Zealander who takes his 'Indian' motorbike to the Bonneville salt flats. Stars Anthony Hopkins and is a great film.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

beaches is an unknown quantity at this point

I loved Once Were Warriors, and also the follow-up which I didn't think was quite as emotive, but very good all the same and pretty funny in places.

Loved Whale Rider too.

Will make a note to get Goodbye Pork Pie out on DVD soon.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Cheers

Buzzy
Have a look at Perfect Strangers and In My Father's Den. River Queen looks worth a visit - just had its premiere in Wanganui.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Cheers

Buzzy
In my fathers den is a good NZ movie..
Kombi Nation is a bit of a cult movie, the type thats so bad is kinda good

the castle is a class Aus movie

I liked muriels wedding and strictly ballroom too
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:24 am
Just Joined

GINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura aboutGINGERSEAMONSTER has a spectacular aura about

Has anyone seen the DVD "New Zealand Travel Guide" presented by Ian Wright who presents the Globetrekker show on sky telly?

We have looked around for a DVD or video which shows the countryside and towns in NZ rather than what you see in a movie, and Amazon list this one as well as one called "coast to coast" which is supposed to be a cure for insomnia.

Anyone seen the Ian Wright one and if so can they recommend it?

Does anyone know of any others that show the country rather than a movie?
We have seen the Billy Connolly dvd which shows us a fair bit but we want more!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

Hi Gingerseamonster,

I saw the Ian Wright one on the Air NZ flight to AKL and its very good. Try:

Globe Trekkers DVD

For the DVD.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 12:58 am
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

I love the Peter Jackson film 'Heavenly Creatures', Kate Winslet's debut I believe, based on a true story. Check it out:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110005/

We bought Whale Rider we were so impressed.

Jane Campion's 'The Piano' (one for the intellectuals, or those who don't mind watching paint dry... and I mean that with all due respect), that was set in NZ wasn't it?

We also love the Oz film 'The Dish'...hilarious!!! As is 'Mr Reliable'.

I have a lot of respect for the Oz film industry as there are some good stories turned into films ('Rabbit Proof Fence' for example. I dare you not to cry when the girls are yanked away from their mothers).

Deborah Mailman, who was in Rabbit Proof Fence, the TV series 'The Secret life of us' and a stunning film called Radiance (1998) is an outstanding Australian actess.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

beaches is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beaches
I loved Once Were Warriors, and also the follow-up which I didn't think was quite as emotive, but very good all the same and pretty funny in places.

Loved Whale Rider too.

Will make a note to get Goodbye Pork Pie out on DVD soon.
Just had to add to this - watched Goodbye Pork Pie at the weekend. Sorry - I hated it. Didn't find it funny at all. <please don't shout!> Fell asleep towards the end I was that bored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.