Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand Driving License

New Zealand Driving License

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:34 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Zealand Driving License

Help.....tomorrow I have to go and get my license changed. Problem is, as I have a HGV Class 1, I also have to take a new test to change that over to the NZ equivalent. It's a theory test but I have no idea what it's going to be on......

Does anybody know??

I assume it's based on the Highway Code but I suppose it could also be on HGV law.........help!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of
Default Re: New Zealand Driving License

Hi,

I dont this is going to be much help, but my OH was supposed to renew his licence. I did a search on google for class 5 test, and came across some example questions. Sorry I can't remember the site we looked on.

Good Luck for tomorrow
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

You've left it a bit late to revise ... but try here ...

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ro...-vehicles.html

Last edited by Robbie2010; Aug 23rd 2010 at 9:37 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug
Help.....tomorrow I have to go and get my license changed. Problem is, as I have a HGV Class 1, I also have to take a new test to change that over to the NZ equivalent. It's a theory test but I have no idea what it's going to be on......

Does anybody know??

I assume it's based on the Highway Code but I suppose it could also be on HGV law.........help!
hi go to the aa you do an eye test fill in some forms, then do a 35 min theory then hand it back in they wil tell you if you passed or not you can buy the theory book in any good paper shop about £30 well woth it and your hgv will be on the same bit of paper , i know i have done it
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:38 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
You've left it a bit late to revise ... but try here ...

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/ro...-vehicles.html
I know, I don't actually need the HGV, just the car license but as it cost so much in the UK, I'm not about to give it up. I could just get the car license first and the HGV in a couple of months..........
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug
I know, I don't actually need the HGV, just the car license but as it cost so much in the UK, I'm not about to give it up. I could just get the car license first and the HGV in a couple of months..........
car and hgv will be on one bit of paper , with car and hgv questions, things like sheeting down load different weights driving hours etc just take your time and you will find you know the answers if you fail then go and buy the book
Old Aug 27th 2010, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

lindam is an unknown quantity at this point

So you have to change a UK driving licence to a NZ one ? I thought the UK one was ok in NZ ?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lindam
So you have to change a UK driving licence to a NZ one ? I thought the UK one was ok in NZ ?
no the uk one will last for one year, then you have to get a kiwi one,
the equivalent hgv uk class 2 nz class 4 uk class 1 nz class 5
as i said before hgv and car are on same form i have a theory book but would take to long to down load, its diffrent laws thats why its better if you buy the book hope this helps
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:41 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindam
Car licence is issued on the basis of your UK licence, no further testing required. Each time you leave NZ and re-enter it resets the 1yr clock though...
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:21 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
no the uk one will last for one year, then you have to get a kiwi one,
the equivalent hgv uk class 2 nz class 4 uk class 1 nz class 5
as i said before hgv and car are on same form i have a theory book but would take to long to down load, its diffrent laws thats why its better if you buy the book hope this helps
But if you're a lush like me and keep flitting out of the country you can find yourself looking at reaching at least the end of your fifth year not having needed to change it! Wonder how many years on a UK licence I can manage, such is my aversion now to form filling ....
Old Sep 1st 2010, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
But if you're a lush like me and keep flitting out of the country you can find yourself looking at reaching at least the end of your fifth year not having needed to change it! Wonder how many years on a UK licence I can manage, such is my aversion now to form filling ....
Are you certain that by leaving and re-entering the country that it resets the one year clock? I'm not sure exactly what the NZTA rules are, but I would be very careful of that.

I would suggest that should you have an accident and the insurance policy you have is over a year old, the insurance company may well argue that you were driving without a valid licence - as you had clearly been driving in NZ for over a year without obtaining a NZ licence.

This would make you fully liable without any cover and also mean any premiums you've paid were a complete waste of money.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pieface
Are you certain that by leaving and re-entering the country that it resets the one year clock? I'm not sure exactly what the NZTA rules are, but I would be very careful of that.
So read the rules:

here

"Can you drive in New Zealand?

You can drive in New Zealand if you hold a driver licence from another country or an international driving permit and:

* your overseas licence is current and valid, and
* you've not received a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand, and
* you last entered New Zealand less than 12 months ago, and "

My italics, but as you can see it plainly refers to your last entry, that allows for previous entries...
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:53 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
So read the rules:

here

You can drive in New Zealand if you hold a driver licence from another country or an international driving permit and:

My italics, but as you can see it plainly refers to your last entry, that allows for previous entries...

...and the sentance that your overseas licence is valid???

As a UK licence is related to an address, which you no longer have, I am not sure that it is still valid. Sure the UK don't make you change the address if you go overseas but if you had an accident on your old UK licence in NZ....where would the police be able to contact you?

Perosnally I wouldn't risk it. It's $40 odd and a quick eye test at an AA shop. Not a lot of hassle really.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

pieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the roughpieface is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by simonsi
So read the rules:

here

The paragraph below that does add some ambiguity though:

------
Here for a year or more?

If you'll be in New Zealand for more than a year, you need to gain a New Zealand driver licence. If your overseas licence is still current or expired less than 12 months ago you can apply to convert it to a New Zealand licence
------

I think what you can read into that is that if you regularly travel to New Zealand, you can carry on using your overseas licence, if you in New Zealand long term (more than a year), you need to convert it.

Being that conversion is such an easy process, I wouldn't risk potentially giving an insurance company reason to not pay out on a claim! Not to mention the possibilty that you could be driving around unlicensed!

I think there's a few policemen on this forum, maybe they could clarify...

Last edited by pieface; Sep 1st 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:51 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, thanks for your advice everyone. When I arrived it was a test to transfer your licence, hence I was delighted to get extra time when I went overseas.

Yes, I checked with my insurance company, yes I was being tongue in cheek and fully intend to get a NZ licence when it pops to the top of the priority list, but thanks for the concern

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.