Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia

New Zealand or Australia

Old May 31st 2016, 6:07 am
Just Joined

TobyTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand or Australia

Hello fellow ex-pats! I've posted something similar in the Australia section, so only fair I post this here in order to get a balanced opinion from yourselves

The company I work for has offices in Brisbane and Christchurch, and due to growth over the last 18 months both locations are open to transfers. The dilemma is which one to go for?

I've been to Christchurch several times for just a couple of weeks a time, so I know it fairly well, but obviously living in a new country/city is a whole different ball game. Not been to Brisbane yet...

From research and experiences, I gather the following (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

Christchurch pros:
- Mild weather that's still generally better and warmer than UK, winter lasts approximately 3 months
- Beautiful landscape/country/roads
- Outdoor lifestyle
- Fuel prices

Cons
- Lower wages than UK and Aus?
- Higher cost of living?
- Earthquakes
- Overpriced housing and built to a lower quality (no central heating, poor insulation etc)

Brisbane pros:
- Warmer weather for longer periods throughout the year
- Fuel prices
- The crumpet
- Winter? What winter?
- Cheaper housing than NZ
- Higher wages?

Cons
- Humidity?
- Spiders/snakes (I loathe spiders and the thought of having to check everything)
- Stamp duty/higher taxes?
- Housing bubble/economy heading for recession?
- Nanny state speed enforcement
- Expensive car prices and restrictive import laws

FYI I'm a Business Analyst, so will need to consider long-term prospects too. Your thoughts/input are much appreciated
Old May 31st 2016, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or Australia

If I were you and had the chance to visit these two places (good that you have been to Christchurch) I would visit, seriously think like a local, and try to imagine placing myself there.

I ended up in NZ because I visited here and loved it. I never set foot in Australia until after I had officially moved to NZ so for me there was no big list of pros and cons as you have. I can't say what I would have done if I'd had the choice of both Australia and NZ (though really I still do) I prefer NZ (as opposed to Aus) because it is generally quiet, safe, laid back and isolated. Some people will HATE NZ for exactly the same reasons I love it.

Christchurch is small by global standards but I have enough to do here and if I want a taste of big city glitz I can hop on a plane to Melbourne or Sydney and have all that with none of the hassles of having to live long term in a big smoke.

At the end of the day there is nothing of great value I can give you that would sway your decision one way or the other. Which country one settles in is down to very personal preferences and yours will differ to mine.
Old May 31st 2016, 7:02 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Two completely different countries...Australia is full of Ozzie's....even the possums left the place and came over here....Bogan's all of em !

Seriously though You want money...Oz complete with the crowds and traffic. Chch poor but happy....your choice....

Last edited by Stormer999; May 31st 2016 at 7:05 am.
Old May 31st 2016, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Christchurch I think offers better all round options

2nd biggest city in NZ

Not that far out for alternative interviews in Sydney, Melbourne, Wellington or Auckland.

Just think of the options for the weekend
Old May 31st 2016, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your comments so far - really appreciate it and the more I read the better

I thought Christchurch was the third biggest behind Auckland and Wellington (especially after the quakes)?

Thanks Parnell. By options for the weekend do you mean local stuff around Chch or close proximity to fly to other cities in NZ/Aus?

Thanks all
Old May 31st 2016, 8:16 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Skiing, salmon/trout fishing, swimming/surfing without having to worry ...good start
Old May 31st 2016, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

By the way on the subject of earthquakes - Australia also has serious and ongoing risks from natural hazards. They might not be as weird and unfamiliar to us central plate dwellers from the British Isles as NZ's quake risk is but I wouldn't decide between countries on the basis of one unfamiliar natural hazard when you have floods, cyclones and bushfires to think about as well.
Old May 31st 2016, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

I am an currently an Aussie in NZ, we most recently came in from Bahrain/Saudi - so loving the greenery, but it's cold now and we are in the Northland district.

Christchurch - Con: EARTHQUAKES, earthquakes, earthquakes - that would be enough of a reason for me not to go there but anyway,

For what it's worth:

About Brisbane
Humidity - that's what aircon is for and the beach. But if your house is architecturally designed you need to only open the windows. People live on the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast and commute to Brisbane either by driving or rail transport. Depending on your housing budget you could buy on/near water. Both coasts offer unique lifestyles. If leafy green suburbs are your thing you will find them in Brisbane within 6 - 10 kms of the city centre. Housing prices seem to be lowering and settling down to reasonable levels. Depends what type of housing you're into. It's a mixed bag. You can get ultra modern contemporary or turn of the century stylish. There's also a lot of rubbish too. You have to be selective according to which school areas you want. A favourite suburb close in but pricey is Clayfield. Beautiful homes there. But very fine schools.

We do get electrical thunderstorms leading into summer, they can be exciting to say the least but they're not every day. And you just need to be aware to keep a tidy yard so things don't go flying about.

Excellent schools in Brisbane - state and private. Whatever floats your boat you can get co-ed in State Schools or single sex schools & co-ed in Private. Both type have uniform policies. Particularly the private schools.

Winter - We do get about 2, oh ok 3 weeks of winter particularly on the respective coasts towards the end of July. Autumn is beautiful. Brisbane can be a few degrees colder in winter and warmer in summer because it's on the river and doesn't get the sea breeze.

Spiders/snakes. In my entire life in Australia I have only ever seen one snake in a domestic situation, a green tree Python (non poisonous) asleep in our garden shed. It was in the winter and he was looking for a warm spot, which our metal shed provided. He was gone in 24 hrs. I have lived in Sydney, Perth, Darwin, North Queensland, Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Spiders (red backs) are only an issue during summer on the outdoor furniture unless you have the house pest-treated. You have to just be aware they can hide under the seats in the outdoors but again I think in all my time in Qld (30yrs) only encountered 1 or 2. We would treat the underside of the furniture with surface spray. Seriously though, would you allow an arachnid to determine your future? They help to keep other insects at bay.

Nanny state/speed enforcement. Only for those who want to break the law. Road rules are to keep you safe. Can do 110km/h on highway between Brisbane/Gold Coast.

Stamp duty/higher taxes. You will most likely be eligible for $15k Qld Great Start Grant and first home buyers concession in stamp duty when you purchase your home, info online. Cannot comment on comparison on taxes (haven't had to pay any for a while because Middle East) but there are generous government rebates and payments available for families under certain income. Even if you're earning good income!

Cars in NZ are more expensive than Oz plus the Aust government have relaxed the motor vehicle import laws as we no longer manufacture cars. The dealers are not happy and therefore prepared to do very competitive deals. A lot of folk change over their cars every 2 - 3 years. I think they keep them for much longer here in NZ.

Long term in NZ - I can only comment as far as your kids are concerned. Whilst they can attend university in Christchurch for tertiary study, in their future they probably will go to Australia for employment. Do you want to grandparent remotely?

Brisbane has University of Queensland, QUT & Griffith University - lots of choices. Cannot comment on Christchurch - but earthquakes!

All the best and what a dilemma. I don't really think either would be a wrong choice.

Just going to add. It is really beautiful here in NZ, achingly beautiful. If you like rolling green hills, amazing coastline and friendly people. Not to say you won't get that in Queensland.

Last edited by Work Widow; May 31st 2016 at 9:05 am. Reason: Additional info
Old May 31st 2016, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Work Widow
I am an currently an Aussie in NZ, we most recently came in from Bahrain/Saudi - so loving the greenery, but it's cold now and we are in the Northland district.

Christchurch - Con: EARTHQUAKES, earthquakes, earthquakes - that would be enough of a reason for me not to go there but anyway,

For what it's worth:

About Brisbane
Humidity - that's what aircon is for and the beach. But if your house is architecturally designed you need to only open the windows. People live on the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast and commute to Brisbane either by driving or rail transport. Depending on your housing budget you could buy on/near water. Both coasts offer unique lifestyles. If leafy green suburbs are your thing you will find them in Brisbane within 6 - 10 kms of the city centre. Housing prices seem to be lowering and settling down to reasonable levels. Depends what type of housing you're into. It's a mixed bag. You can get ultra modern contemporary or turn of the century stylish. There's also a lot of rubbish too. You have to be selective according to which school areas you want. A favourite suburb close in but pricey is Clayfield. Beautiful homes there. But very fine schools.

We do get electrical thunderstorms leading into summer, they can be exciting to say the least but they're not every day. And you just need to be aware to keep a tidy yard so things don't go flying about.

Excellent schools in Brisbane - state and private. Whatever floats your boat you can get co-ed in State Schools or single sex schools & co-ed in Private. Both type have uniform policies. Particularly the private schools.

Winter - We do get about 2, oh ok 3 weeks of winter particularly on the respective coasts towards the end of July. Autumn is beautiful. Brisbane can be a few degrees colder in winter and warmer in summer because it's on the river and doesn't get the sea breeze.

Spiders/snakes. In my entire life in Australia I have only ever seen one snake in a domestic situation, a green tree Python (non poisonous) asleep in our garden shed. It was in the winter and he was looking for a warm spot, which our metal shed provided. He was gone in 24 hrs. I have lived in Sydney, Perth, Darwin, North Queensland, Brisbane & Gold Coast.

Spiders (red backs) are only an issue during summer on the outdoor furniture unless you have the house pest-treated. You have to just be aware they can hide under the seats in the outdoors but again I think in all my time in Qld (30yrs) only encountered 1 or 2. We would treat the underside of the furniture with surface spray. Seriously though, would you allow an arachnid to determine your future? They help to keep other insects at bay.

Nanny state/speed enforcement. Only for those who want to break the law. Road rules are to keep you safe. Can do 110km/h on highway between Brisbane/Gold Coast.

Stamp duty/higher taxes. You will most likely be eligible for $15k Qld Great Start Grant and first home buyers concession in stamp duty when you purchase your home, info online. Cannot comment on comparison on taxes (haven't had to pay any for a while because Middle East) but there are generous government rebates and payments available for families under certain income. Even if you're earning good income!

Cars in NZ are more expensive than Oz plus the Aust government have relaxed the motor vehicle import laws as we no longer manufacture cars. The dealers are not happy and therefore prepared to do very competitive deals. A lot of folk change over their cars every 2 - 3 years. I think they keep them for much longer here in NZ.

Long term in NZ - I can only comment as far as your kids are concerned. Whilst they can attend university in Christchurch for tertiary study, in their future they probably will go to Australia for employment. Do you want to grandparent remotely?

Brisbane has University of Queensland, QUT & Griffith University - lots of choices. Cannot comment on Christchurch - but earthquakes!

All the best and what a dilemma. I don't really think either would be a wrong choice.

Just going to add. It is really beautiful here in NZ, achingly beautiful. If you like rolling green hills, amazing coastline and friendly people. Not to say you won't get that in Queensland.
Thank you, this is an awesome post

Poisonous spiders are something for me to consider as I really do hate them that much, and if they have the ability to inflict damage even more so. But I can probably live with that!

From the vast research I've done on cars, right now premium European used cars are a little bit cheaper to buy in NZ than Aus, and annual registration fees are much cheaper (NZ$90 a year for Audi S4 compared with AU$900 in Qld). But the prices could change with the new import law and fuel in Australia is MUCH cheaper than NZ. It's delightful.

I do seriously wonder about my potential children's future(s) one day and if they will have more opportunities in Australia, so that is something I'm going to factor in too - thanks
Old May 31st 2016, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to add Spiders to the cons of New Zealand then.

We have a lovely pet in this country called the white tail spider. Very common animal around these parts. They love hiding in curtains, shoes, towels, slippers and any item of clothing on the floor. Oh and they have a decent set of fangs and venom on them, which are far more painful than a false widow bite.
Old May 31st 2016, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TobyTR

I do seriously wonder about my potential children's future(s) one day and if they will have more opportunities in Australia, so that is something I'm going to factor in too - thanks
There's no point to worry about that, as your kids will go their own way anyway and who knows if there will be more opportunities in Australia.

It can go from boom to bust in no time and what we adults think are opportunities, might not be the opportunities for them.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 1:47 am
Just Joined

This is true... Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2016, 3:17 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom H
You might want to add Spiders to the cons of New Zealand then.

We have a lovely pet in this country called the white tail spider. Very common animal around these parts. They love hiding in curtains, shoes, towels, slippers and any item of clothing on the floor. Oh and they have a decent set of fangs and venom on them, which are far more painful than a false widow bite.
Really? I've never seen one and I've lived here 25+ years. I've never heard of anyone being bitten by them either, although I'm sure it has happened somewhere.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 3:23 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jmh
Really? I've never seen one and I've lived here 25+ years. I've never heard of anyone being bitten by them either, although I'm sure it has happened somewhere.
You are in the wrong work or perhaps the wrong, or maybe that should be right , area. I know 2 plumbers , one person working as a cleaner & a lad that have been bitten by them.
Old Jun 1st 2016, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd go for Brisbane over Christchurch ... Far more opportunies in Oz.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.