Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia?

New Zealand or Australia?

Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or Australia?

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Well it would be a hard difficult road back to the good old days, that's for sure!
Totally AGREE with you there!

A hard road indeed, it would take people/politicians with real stomach, leadership and fight as well as actually caring - this is why its unlikely to ever happen.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You've just made me think of that awful home advert, CJ Gardener Homes I think it is, with the couple from somewhere in the Midlands

As Stewie Griffin says - Damn you Dannigirl!
Is that the one where the woman's face and her voice do not match AT ALL. She looks quite glam, then she speaks......
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:06 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Is that the one where the woman's face and her voice do not match AT ALL. She looks quite glam, then she speaks......
Yep, that's it, that's the one

Grrrr, annoying at its very best

An awful advert, reminds me of the car insurance adverts back in Blighty
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well I stand corrected then about Romanians. I just think you sound a bit hysterical. If UK immigration stands at about 13%, worst case 15%. Last census 7.5 million people in Britain born outside of UK.

I think roughly in Nz according to NZ census (and this will most likely change as another census just done) 27% of people were born outside of NZ!

I think it more an over population thing in the UK, so I think it is unfair to blame "immigration" per se. There are a higher percentage of "foreigners" in NZ.

And however much you say you integrate/assimilate you are still changing the cultural and historical context of NZ, which I personally have no issue with at all, but I am sure there are lots of small minded kiwis who do. We want the money from the Chinese, just not the immigration that follows. Asian immigration numbers will soon overtake British and that will certainly be interesting to say the least.

How nice that you find Chinese people compliant
Anyhone who thinks its easy to migrate to the UK should take a look at BE's newest forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196 which is aimed at helping the thousands of UK citizens who are trying to return home with non-UK citizen spouses and children. Try telling THEM the gates are open when some of them face being parted from their families for years, or not going home at all.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Anyhone who thinks its easy to migrate to the UK should take a look at BE's newest forum
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=196 which is aimed at helping the thousands of UK citizens who are trying to return home with non-UK citizen spouses and children. Try telling THEM the gates are open when some of them face being parted from their families for years, or not going home at all.
That was my sentiment in my first post Polly, as I have had to jump through numerous hoops to gain status in the UK. In 11 years I was never eligible for public funds. I gratefully accessed the NHS to have my two children under the commonwealth agreement. Child benefit was paid via my British husband for our children.

Of course there are two categories EU and non-EU but it's not all immigrants running riot in the UK as many would have us believe.

Sorry OP - have totally hijacked your thread.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyanna I agree. My US friend is married to a British man and has a British born son but still hasn't got the right to live in the UK!!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

That was my sentiment in my first post Polly, as I have had to jump through numerous hoops to gain status in the UK. In 11 years I was never eligible for public funds. I gratefully accessed the NHS to have my two children under the commonwealth agreement. Child benefit was paid via my British husband for our children.

Of course there are two categories EU and non-EU but it's not all immigrants running riot in the UK as many would have us believe.

Sorry OP - have totally hijacked your thread.
Originally Posted by M_and_M
Pollyanna I agree. My US friend is married to a British man and has a British born son but still hasn't got the right to live in the UK!!!!
Some of the stories we've had posted are heartbreaking, especially people who had planned their return for several years, only to find the rules changed almost overnight.
No way is it easy to migrate to the UK.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:15 am
Banned

tom1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Actually, people emigrate for differing reasons. We didn't emigrate for a 'better' life. We emigrated to try something different.

The OP is entitled to her viewpoint, so she can critisise if she so wishes. Others may or may not agree with her and that is also fine.
Utter rubbish, of course people emigrate for a better life at the end of the day.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
New Zealand doesn't just allow a potential EU population of approx 300 million to walk in, then claim housing, health, education, welfare. Such huge influxes of numbers were never voted in by the British, but have altered a whole way of life and destroyed 1000 years worth of history/culture/traditions. I would say it's a huge draw to come to a country that only wants skilled/professional immigrants (or those with lots of $$$ to spend on the NZ economy).
NZ will never be swamped by the same numbers coming into the UK, she manages her immigration (actually knows who's coming in and out) and although there are many downers about living here, I don't miss a rising population equivalent to a new Leeds every year.

I think you will find many migrants get into New Zealand through many different ways, one of those being that money talks. I am sure a lot of kiwis will beg to differ with you regarding migrants not coming in and using the benefits system to their advantage.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by tom1000
Utter rubbish, of course people emigrate for a better life at the end of the day.
This may be true for you and you are free to speak for how it is for yourself, however, you don't speak for all the rest of us. Please do read some of the tales surrounding those that have chosen to live elsewhere and why they made those choices.

For someone who hasn't emigrated to NZ and doesn't appear to intend to do so, you do seem quite churlish towards those of us who have.

I think you will find many migrants get into New Zealand through many different ways, one of those being that money talks. I am sure a lot of kiwis will beg to differ with you regarding migrants not coming in and using the benefits system to their advantage.
I find this post quite confusing.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

I didn't and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I emigrated because it was easier for me to move to Aus than for my future husband to move to the UK.
Don't judge the whole world until you have walked in their shoes
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:24 am
Banned

pinkiepie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarah.herod
We are emigrating next year, initially we looked into Oz however after leaving the NZ an Oz Expo in Birmingham yesterday we were warmed to NZ, now we are confused as what would be the best move for our family! We live in Bury I am an Ambulance Driver an Stuart is a roofer, we have 2 children aged 2 and 11, we want a better lifestyle for our family, we want the children to be children,we want to open a world of opportunities to them, we are a hard working family an we are aware in neither country the streets are paved with gold, we know it will be hard work wherever we end up, we don't know what to do!!! Arghhhh 😜
Correct that it will be hard work wherever you end up, but if you genuinely want the things I've highlighted above go to Australia. Get an Australian PR visa because it gives you the right to live and work in both Australia and NZ then try before you buy. Sample both countries and see which one suits you better. I've forgotten how many Kiwis live over here - officially, half a million or so but it's so much more - that should tell you something. I swear there are some places around here that are so Kiwi-fied you'd think you were in Henderson or Kaitaia.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah.herod
Stuarts roofing trade is on the skills list however to get into Oz he has to do the AQF3 first which is jus getting his trade recognised, it's about 2k then around 5k for the Visa, NZ on the other hand is easier an cheaper to get into his skills are recognised an in high demand in CC, the Visa for NZ would be around 2k, yes NZ would be cheaper an easier but that's not a reason to move there is it?
And in Oz he earns 20k more
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 11:54 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I didn't and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I emigrated because it was easier for me to move to Aus than for my future husband to move to the UK.
Don't judge the whole world until you have walked in their shoes
Point taken, however I don't know many people who emigrated to a new country knowing they would be worse off. I am actually in a similar boat as my wife is French and it was equally easier for me to move to France than she move to Canada. Still this was a decision built on what would be the best outcome for us both or in fact allow us to have a better lifestyle, in our eyes anyway.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Point taken, however I don't know many people who emigrated to a new country knowing they would be worse off.
Define;

"worse off".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.