Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia?

New Zealand or Australia?

Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or Australia?

I have read the whole thread and I am concerned.

I think you need to decide:

Why you want to leave?
Where you want to go to and why?
Where can you get a visa?
Can you afford it All?

Once you have sorted all that put then perhaps you will be in a better place to move forwards.

Don't be making rash decisions for the wrong reasons.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:26 pm
Banned

tom1000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sarah.herod
Yes I see the irony in applying to emmigrate to another country and I have explained to my daughter that we would be immigrants, I have explained also the reasons we are leaving the UK! If the UK had a stricter Visa or Immigration process perhaps we wouldn't have the same desire to leave, although immigration is not the sole reason we are choosing to move!
Sorry but everyone migrates for the same reasons at the end of the day and that is for a better life, whether migrating to the UK or New Zealand, we are all in the same boat, so to speak.

You can't criticize the UK for allowing people to do exactly what you are about to do.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Actually, people emigrate for differing reasons. We didn't emigrate for a 'better' life. We emigrated to try something different.

The OP is entitled to her viewpoint, so she can critisise if she so wishes. Others may or may not agree with her and that is also fine.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by M_and_M
I have read the whole thread and I am concerned.

I think you need to decide:

Why you want to leave?
Where you want to go to and why?
Where can you get a visa?
Can you afford it All?

Once you have sorted all that put then perhaps you will be in a better place to move forwards.

Don't be making rash decisions for the wrong reasons.
Karma for this post M_and_M
Old Jul 21st 2013, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Why thank you :-)
Old Jul 21st 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

You can't criticize the UK for allowing people to do exactly what you are about to do
New Zealand doesn't just allow a potential EU population of approx 300 million to walk in, then claim housing, health, education, welfare. Such huge influxes of numbers were never voted in by the British, but have altered a whole way of life and destroyed 1000 years worth of history/culture/traditions. I would say it's a huge draw to come to a country that only wants skilled/professional immigrants (or those with lots of $$$ to spend on the NZ economy).
NZ will never be swamped by the same numbers coming into the UK, she manages her immigration (actually knows who's coming in and out) and although there are many downers about living here, I don't miss a rising population equivalent to a new Leeds every year.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
New Zealand doesn't just allow a potential EU population of approx 300 million to walk in, then claim housing, health, education, welfare. Such huge influxes of numbers were never voted in by the British, but have altered a whole way of life and destroyed 1000 years worth of history/culture/traditions. I would say it's a huge draw to come to a country that only wants skilled/professional immigrants (or those with lots of $$$ to spend on the NZ economy).
NZ will never be swamped by the same numbers coming into the UK, she manages her immigration (actually knows who's coming in and out) and although there are many downers about living here, I don't miss a rising population equivalent to a new Leeds every year.
Well I don't think the UK just allows immigrants to walk in either. If you have ever had to apply for any immigration status in the UK then you would know it's quite difficult. It is also getting harder. Yes, there are free standing agreements too for EU nationals to live in the UK, but I think you are on rather sketchy ground to complain about immigrants as an immigrant yourself. The UK does need immigrants. Immigration policies are by no means perfect, but IMHO it's a bit rich for British immigrants to site immigration as a reason to move.

After 11 years out of NZ I am truly shocked at the amount of British immigrants here. You are blimmin' everywhere, on telly, using benefits, buying up all our good housing stock, pricing normal kiwis out of lots of areas. Increasing numbers of British shops are opening up selling British food! You complain about our food and our beer, and moan about our accents!

I do jest, but there are some comments on here about immigration that really don't sit well with me. There is quite a good link about perception vs reality in the Rovers Return on the MBTTUK forum. It stated that perception vs reality with regards to immigration was way out. Of course as someone on that thread pointed out, it's really only your reality that matters.

I hate all the "all I heard were foreign/East European accents". It's downright racist. You have moved to a country with an indigenous population and a multitude of different cultures, but you probably don't have to worry about that in your bubble of perfection and superior British thinking.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Well I don't think the UK just allows immigrants to walk in either
Yes it does, it's called the European Union. Any EU citizen can reside in any other EU state and subject to special qualifying criteria can enjoy the same healthcare,education etc afforded to the counties own nationals, without the need for a residency visa. I believe you are naively thinking about non EU citizens.
IMHO it's a bit rich for British immigrants to site immigration as a reason to move
I disagree.
I hate all the "all I heard were foreign/East European accents". It's downright racist
I also disagree. Its the rapid change in demographics that has occurred since the Blair years that makes me feel uncomfortable and a stranger in the UK.
Lets see how unfettered Romanian immigration enriches UK life from Jan 2014.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Well I don't think the UK just allows immigrants to walk in either. If you have ever had to apply for any immigration status in the UK then you would know it's quite difficult. It is also getting harder. Yes, there are free standing agreements too for EU nationals to live in the UK, but I think you are on rather sketchy ground to complain about immigrants as an immigrant yourself. The UK does need immigrants. Immigration policies are by no means perfect, but IMHO it's a bit rich for British immigrants to site immigration as a reason to move.

After 11 years out of NZ I am truly shocked at the amount of British immigrants here. You are blimmin' everywhere, on telly, using benefits, buying up all our good housing stock, pricing normal kiwis out of lots of areas. Increasing numbers of British shops are opening up selling British food! You complain about our food and our beer, and moan about our accents!

I do jest, but there are some comments on here about immigration that really don't sit well with me. There is quite a good link about perception vs reality in the Rovers Return on the MBTTUK forum. It stated that perception vs reality with regards to immigration was way out. Of course as someone on that thread pointed out, it's really only your reality that matters.

I hate all the "all I heard were foreign/East European accents". It's downright racist. You have moved to a country with an indigenous population and a multitude of different cultures, but you probably don't have to worry about that in your bubble of perfection and superior British thinking.
I do actually include EU nationals. I think you'll find Romanians are actually already entitled to live freely in the UK. I suspect you mean Bulgaria.

Obviously I can't change your reality of what you felt like in the UK but I do find it a bit hypocritical for you to complain about the changing culture/history in your homeland and you are doing exactly the same thing in NZ. You by your very presence are changing NZ's culture, our history, our communities, our language. I don't really see the difference.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

And being part of the European Union is what keeps Britain afloat, just as we have our hand out grabbing money off China. How will you feel in 10 years time if Christchurch's population is 25% Chinese. You might feel a bit different then.

Last edited by dannigirl; Jul 22nd 2013 at 2:17 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

I think you'll find Romanians are actually already entitled to live freely in the UK
I'm pretty sure they are not, UNLESS self employed. The flood gates open Jan 2014.
but I do find it a bit hypocritical for you to complain about the changing culture/history in your homeland and you are doing exactly the same thing in NZ
By making NZ and other international expat friends, adapting to NZ life, learning slang and new foods, joining a service club, trying to fit in - any more examples?? Yep its all Little England here.
How will you feel in 10 years Christchurch's population is 25% Chinese.
No problems here, a proportion of my customers are Chinese and I've found them to be very respectful and compliant. My workplace is surrounded by lots of asian businesses already. The Chinese aren't here to free load and spunge.
I don't feel the urge to look over my shoulder or worry about extremist Chinese terrorists. As father Ted said "The Chinese, a good bunch of lads".
Have a great day!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggghhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You've just made me think of that awful home advert, CJ Gardener Homes I think it is, with the couple from somewhere in the Midlands

As Stewie Griffin says - Damn you Dannigirl!
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

And being part of the European Union is what keeps Britain afloat
Could not disagree more with that statement.

Britain would be in a much stronger position if it had full control of its borders, trade agreements, business regulation, agriculture and a real sense of accountability and democracy.

Ever since the UK joined the EU, it has floundered. A whole way of life destroyed and being replaced with services, supermarkets and cheap labour from the EU.
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Well I stand corrected then about Romanians. I just think you sound a bit hysterical. If UK immigration stands at about 13%, worst case 15%. Last census 7.5 million people in Britain born outside of UK.

I think roughly in Nz according to NZ census (and this will most likely change as another census just done) 27% of people were born outside of NZ!

I think it more an over population thing in the UK, so I think it is unfair to blame "immigration" per se. There are a higher percentage of "foreigners" in NZ.

And however much you say you integrate/assimilate you are still changing the cultural and historical context of NZ, which I personally have no issue with at all, but I am sure there are lots of small minded kiwis who do. We want the money from the Chinese, just not the immigration that follows. Asian immigration numbers will soon overtake British and that will certainly be interesting to say the least.

How nice that you find Chinese people compliant
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davros1984
Could not disagree more with that statement.

Britain would be in a much stronger position if it had full control of its borders, trade agreements, business regulation, agriculture and a real sense of accountability and democracy.

Ever since the UK joined the EU, it has floundered. A whole way of life destroyed and being replaced with services, supermarkets and cheap labour from the EU.
Well it would be a hard difficult road back to the good old days, that's for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.