Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia

New Zealand or Australia

Old May 8th 2010, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

stargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nicestargazer111 is just really nice
Default New Zealand or Australia

Hi everybody we are a couple from the UK living in New Zealand. We have been in New Zealand for about four years. I am a Psychiatric Nurse and my wife works with kids who have behaviour issues. We are thinking of moving over to Oz possibly Brisbane but not 100% sure yet is there anyone out there that would say the lifestyle and the cost of living compared to wages is better than New Zealand. We would also be interested in what the work is availailable especially if its in our fields and what the housing is like in Oz any info would be great thanks everybody.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Zealand or Australia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi we lived in beautiful NZ for 5 wonderful years and loved every minute of it. We made the hard choice to leave our new life to start another new life in Perth. we have two teenage girls and are NZ residents. We are happy here in Perth financially better off i find the cost of leaving more reasonable and wages are higher there are so many fellow kiwis who you bump into with the same feelings... New Zealand great place to live if you are rich, so many have moved over here for more money better housing public transport and fairer work conditions. It was a hard choice to make but so far so good we hope to go back to live in NZ one day but the longer you are away it seems less unlikely. Specially with kids you simply cant keep moving them around there have settled well which is good not easy for teens.
Old May 9th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Make the move, you will not regret it. OZ is all the things NZ promises and doesnt deliver on.
Theres more to see, more to do, more money to be earned, more jobs to be had.
The houses are generally better and warmer, the driving standard is higher and
you get more choice of whatever you want to buy.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

We spent a few months in Brisbane a couple of years back. I reckon you would definatley be better off than you are here, financially of course.

the downside of Brisbane for us was the searing summer heat. It just cooks all day and all night. One November morning it was 41 deg at 10.30am and it stayed like this all day!!!

The other nightmare for us was the bugs. Giant cockroaches, mosquitos and plagues of ants were in our house every single summer night. (if you are wary of lizards too, there everywhere)

Personally, I would never go back there, not even if someone payed me.

Out of all the Ozzy cities , we found by a mile, the nicest place was Adelaide. It a cracker of a place and makes the rest of Ozzy look like a dump.

Old May 9th 2010, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Make the move, you will not regret it. OZ is all the things NZ promises and doesnt deliver on.
Hmm, on one count you may well be right BUT there are downsides to living in Oz. I spent 3 months there. Heat, the sheer size of the place, bugs, snakes etc etc the latter which really seem to freak some folk. I think I could ONLY consider Tazzy as an option. Not been but seen pics and have favourable feedback from a cuz who lives in Hobart.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hmm, on one count you may well be right BUT there are downsides to living in Oz. I spent 3 months there. Heat, the sheer size of the place, bugs, snakes etc etc the latter which really seem to freak some folk. I think I could ONLY consider Tazzy as an option. Not been but seen pics and have favourable feedback from a cuz who lives in Hobart.
Me too....But I would NEVER go back to australia to live....No thanks mate. haha

Last edited by crap coffee; May 9th 2010 at 8:05 am.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:50 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by grantanddebs
We spent a few months in Brisbane a couple of years back. I reckon you would definatley be better off than you are here, financially of course.

the downside of Brisbane for us was the searing summer heat. It just cooks all day and all night. One November morning it was 41 deg at 10.30am and it stayed like this all day!!!

The other nightmare for us was the bugs. Giant cockroaches, mosquitos and plagues of ants were in our house every single summer night. (if you are wary of lizards too, there everywhere)

Personally, I would never go back there, not even if someone payed me.

Out of all the Ozzy cities , we found by a mile, the nicest place was Adelaide. It a cracker of a place and makes the rest of Ozzy look like a dump.

You say you wouldn't live in OZ if someone paid you well half of New zealand has moved to OZ and the paid to go, not many AUssies want to live in NZ.

Last edited by mohogony; May 9th 2010 at 7:52 am.
Old May 9th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Have to disagree strongly here. Having lived in and worked in Australia (and travelled all around it) and spent awhile in NZ I would say that if you like the outdoor lifestyle there is way more to do in NZ than Australia.

If you are a city person then yes I probably agree, Australia is better, bigger cities and better shopping.

The main problems with Australia for me are the intense heat, massive problems with a lack of water, the threat of forest fires and the lack of any decent walking (especially with the heat).

I have met loads of kiwis who were working in NZ and Australia and all of them bar none were working just to get money with an aim to go back to NZ. It can't be that bad then can it?

Just depends what you want out of life.

Matt

Last edited by MattandJax; May 9th 2010 at 9:58 am.
Old May 9th 2010, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mohogony
You say you wouldn't live in OZ if someone paid you well half of New zealand has moved to OZ and the paid to go, not many AUssies want to live in NZ.
That's because most Aussies have never been to NZ.

When I finished working in Australia I spent 6 months in Australia and 7 weeks in NZ. When I told Aussie people I was spending 7 weeks going around NZ. They were gob smacked and said "are you going around it twice"?

Well frankly I wished I had spent 7 weeks in Australia and 6 months in NZ, what an empty barren desolate country. Whole days driving thorough featureless countryside travelling 1000km and not passing another car and this was on Highway 1!!
Old May 9th 2010, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

grantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to allgrantanddebs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes, but most of the Kiwis who have gone to Oz have most likely done it for 2 reasons - $$$ and Sun.

Personally, the constant barrage of heat, and bugs doesnt make the $$$ and sun appeal so much.

Old May 9th 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Would agree with what's been said in last few posts. I've lived in NZ and Perth/Brisbane and would depend entirely on what you are looking for. Oz has the edge if it's city living that you're after,but then I'm no country bumpkin and found Auckland was hardly lacking either.
NZ wins hands down if you're into outdoors exploits as it's far easier to get to it's great spots. A good example if you're living in Auckland is you can go and ski on the north island in a weekend (if they've had a dump of snow that year,obviously) on Mt Ruapehu. All the great spots in Oz are usually colossal trips away from the big centres and it can get frustrating on the weekends,although I would say it's still a big upgrade on UK life (in my opinion).
Old May 9th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

have also lived and worked in OZ for a year.
Yes its hot but i'd rather be to hot than to cold.
Bugs, snakes and lizards, i dont have a problem with.
I found there were loads more places to walk than there are in NZ.
I suppose its horses for courses
Old May 10th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes its hot but i'd rather be to hot than to cold.
Bugs, snakes and lizards, i dont have a problem with.

I'd rather be to cold/windy than to hot. (at least, its hygienic) Thats why I love the weather in Britain or (Welly;not really ). I hate the searing hot. Not to mention giant cockroaches - it freak me out !!! think longer I live in Oz, die ealrier I guess... cos bloody cockroaches give me heart attacks and shock all the time.... In addtion, there are loads of burglars in Oz!! Be careful - this IS not a joke.

If you live in a hot country, you become lazy(ier) easily.. To live in a cold country, you have to be smart, and creative in order to survive...

Last edited by crap coffee; May 10th 2010 at 3:14 am.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point

Auckland cold and damp very damp when you have to wash the mould of the inside of your house then that can,t be healthy! Hot and dry much healthier
Old May 10th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donki
Auckland cold and damp very damp when you have to wash the mould of the inside of your house then that can,t be healthy! Hot and dry much healthier
I live in a very moist climate with a draught free house. Recepie for mould aye? Not when you heat it centrally a la european CH and use sufficient dehumidifiers and double glaze it with high end glass and argon filledunits. My house is as dry as a bone. When I moved in it was clear that had not been the case afore I upgraded the house. NZ has seasons and no 'mental' weather not in the North anyway. Alas too much of Oz is too hot for some of us. Spent 3 months in Oz on the east coast for a summer back in 1990. Realised I could not live there permanently. If you love 'silly' heat and don't mind long distances to get around your country Oz is a good choice. It has lots going for it but long term I would be worried about good fresh water supplies and what it will mean if the world gets even hotter as it appears to be doing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.