Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Zealand or Australia

New Zealand or Australia

Old Jul 25th 2004, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Kiwilamb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand or Australia

Hi, I have only recently discovered this forum so please forgive me if I am going over old ground. We decided that we wanted to go abroad for some time while the kids were still at primary school and thro a process of elimination chose New Zealand. My own choice would have been Australia but my husbands profession was not on the most wanted list at that time so we applied for NZ. We have been here over 6 months now and I have found it very hard to settle. A few weeks ago, we went on a short break holiday to Cairns and I loved it. so much more happening. I am now wondering, as my husband job is now on the list, should we consider going to Australia or cut our losses and go back to the UK.

Some of the things that I find hard about NZ, I also see people posting about Australia eg the low wages. I must point out here that NZ aspires to the sort of wages paid in Australia. The National Party is constantly pointing out that NZ has falled way behind average wage parity. Another thing is the cold uninsulated housing, potential lack of opportunity for the children in NZ etc

Has anyone made the move across the Tasman? Would it be an improvement or 'out of the frying pan into the fire'?
Old Jul 25th 2004, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Andiii is an unknown quantity at this point

If I had've known, I would've told you not to go to NZ in the first place.

Honestly, most Kiwi's end up moving to Australia for education and employment opportunities, among other benefits that NZ cannot provide. A lot majority of my tutors at University are from NZ simply because they get a better deal in Australia.

I don't think you should move back to the UK, as it will cost you a fortune because NZs dollar is quite... crap.

I do think you should:

- Research Australia, determine whether it's a place you would like to live (check out employment opportunities for your husband, research schools).
- Travel to some other states. If you think Cairns is "happening", you should see Melbourne or Sydney.
- Talk to some members from this forum!

Just don't give up yet!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Zealand or Australia

Originally posted by Kiwilamb
Some of the things that I find hard about NZ, I also see people posting about Australia eg the low wages. I must point out here that NZ aspires to the sort of wages paid in Australia. The National Party is constantly pointing out that NZ has falled way behind average wage parity. Another thing is the cold uninsulated housing, potential lack of opportunity for the children in NZ etc

Has anyone made the move across the Tasman? Would it be an improvement or 'out of the frying pan into the fire'?
A lot of Kiwis take-up residence in Oz - mainly because of work opportunities. It's all relative, generally wages are higher in Oz than Nz; and higher in UK than Oz. But are there other issues for you, apart from wages and cold, uninsulated houses? If so, going to Oz could be a case of out of the fridge and into the fire...
Old Jul 25th 2004, 7:29 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

What line of work is your partner in?

We are in NZ also and like you find the wages shocking as well as the general cost of living v what you get for your money.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 8:25 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Having been to both NZ and Australia, I think they're both beautiful countries. IMO NZ is great for a holiday but there's a lot more happening in Australia.

Once you get PR in NZ, are you not automatically able to come across to Australia anyway? Would that not be something worth looking at???
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

i am English, married to a Kiwi spent 2yrs in NZ and now in Adelaide.

Would never go back to NZ and nor will my husband and he grew up there. Left when he was 25. Once you have experienced the bustle of the outside world NZ, is just too quiet and lacking in modern day qualities that we are used to. Just my opinion, but love Australia.
Old Jul 25th 2004, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

ey up PP

Thats what some people like about NZ though.....I love it because its so peaceful, quiet & unspoilt. Work keeps me in Auckland but at the weekends I spend a lot of time in Taupo. Skiing next weekend at Whakapapa

Oz would definitely be out of the fridge into the fire for me. To hot, full of Australians, & loads of poisonous nasties OK we have Helen Clark here, but she's deffinitely a lesser evil Lol

Each to their own?

Russ
Old Jul 25th 2004, 1:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mlbonner
Once you get PR in NZ, are you not automatically able to come across to Australia anyway? Would that not be something worth looking at???
It sounds like they may have PR in NZ - New Zealand permanent residence gives no rights in Australia whatsoever.

New Zealand *citizenship* gives the right to work and live in Australia, but no longer with PR rights.

The problem is that NZ intends to put up the residence period for citizenship from 3 to 5 years. The Government plans for the new rules to take effect on 1 January, although the legislation is still before Parliament.

If the OPs do decide to leave NZ:

1. If they're not going to get citizenship it's worth at least obtaining indefinite Returning Resident Visas to keep options open. Information on the criteria is on the NZIS website, http://www.immigration.govt.nz

2. If they want to go to Australia, they need to look once again at the Australian criteria and reassess themselves. The system has experienced changes since they would previously have looked at it in detail.

For general skilled migration, Australia does look at *recent* skilled work experience, so if someone has been out of the workforce or in a less skilled job, then this is often an issue.

Other options for Australia could include STNI/Skill Matching, SIR or even employer nomination.

There is some anecdotal evidence that Australia is beginning to look at settlement intentions and ability when people are applying to migrate, so be aware of this possible issue.

Concerning Cairns, the weather is great in winter but they should revisit in summer before making a firm decision they they want to settle there.

Jeremy
Old Jul 25th 2004, 6:44 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
ey up PP

Thats what some people like about NZ though.....I love it because its so peaceful, quiet & unspoilt. Work keeps me in Auckland but at the weekends I spend a lot of time in Taupo. Skiing next weekend at Whakapapa

Oz would definitely be out of the fridge into the fire for me. To hot, full of Australians, & loads of poisonous nasties OK we have Helen Clark here, but she's deffinitely a lesser evil Lol

Each to their own?

Russ
Well said!!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:27 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

Meths or Champagne ?
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by BritboyNZ
ey up PP

Each to their own?

Russ
Hello Britboy,

I agree if you really do prefer the very quiet kind of life and are happy with going to bed at an early hour and very little nightlife then NZ would be great. Just not for me or my husband.

And dont start me off on Helen Clark!!!...GRRRRRRRRR
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

...but i do like Taupo
Old Jul 25th 2004, 9:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with Jaj Cairns looks fantastic in winter, but you MUST consider summer there, its just a bit Plenty of posts about how fantastic QlD is in winter but the hot wet weather comes in Summer, and the far north is hot even to Locals.

Also jobs, Having made one move (the first poster) , its going to cost a heap to move again anywhere, so this time do the research on JOBS. Anywhere you are going cant people find out what the local industries are, in Cairns its tourism, some development and tropical farming. Unemployment rates?

A big point relevant to many threads, Cairns, Tasmania, Adelaide, Bundaberg.... People keep saying they want a better life for their kids, but you really need to research what opportunities there are job wise for teenagers once they leave school, I cant stress this enough, you read here all the time, this is for my kids but people are heading somewhere with real youth unemployment problems. Several threads with teens going back to the UK bring this point home.

When people in Australia make these type of points the thread rapidly ends up ignored and down on page 5, dont ignore it use it to help you. Ta
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Hi
We have been in Auckland for 2 years and have found it somewhat lacking. We put in our application for PR Australia about 2 months ago and the time for us to move to Oz can not come soon enough.

Our situation is that my partner and I are in our early thirties, no children and came from central London. We both worked in the City of London in Investment Banking and enjoyed a wide and active social life. Coming to NZ has been a huge shock. We both wanted a quieter life, more space, and just generally a less hectic lifestyle. But it is just too quiet here and unfortunately career opportuities are limited.

A lot of people will respond to this no doubt by saying 'you should have done your homework, what did you think NZ was going to be like' but the truth is we did reserach it but it is only when you are living it that you can truly weigh up whether what you had before is better than you have now, and to be honest I would take my life in London any day over a life Auckland.

Biggest negatives with Auckland:
Rain, rain, rain
Expensive compared to wages
Limited public transport so going out for a drink or for a meal on a Friday or Saturday night if you wish to have a few glasses of wine is a logistical nightmare.
Rush hour traffic
Expensive, damp and poorly insulated houses

Positives
The positives are there but to be honest nice scenary etc can be seen in most countries.

I will now sit back and wait for people to rip my observations to pieces and generally slag my observations off. But in response to original poster:
Get out while you can!
Old Jul 25th 2004, 10:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably eligible for indefinite Returning Residents Visas from NZ and you should make a point of obtaining one as soon as possible (just as an insurance policy).

Jeremy

Originally posted by hubbard
Hi
We have been in Auckland for 2 years and have found it somewhat lacking. We put in our application for PR Australia about 2 months ago and the time for us to move to Oz can not come soon enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.