Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Old May 27th 2010, 12:23 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Originally Posted by AH30
Actually Scotland were very lucky that RBS was bailed out by England to the tune of £61 billion. This is equivalent to almost a year of Scotland's GDP. So yes harsh as it may seem, Scotland would be bankrupt were it not for England. Scotland and Iceland are very lucky to have such good friends, I'm not so sure that New Zealand could call on anyone to bail us out to such an extent.
RBS was bailed by the British Government whic so happens to have been under Scottish control since our spy in the camp got into control Mr Tony Blair, then we rubbed it in by putting another Scot in and he even had a Scottish accent.

As for Scotland and Iceland having good friends, well you make me laugh, it doesn't actually say where you hail from on your avatar, but you do sound ................. no I am not getting drawn in!
Old May 27th 2010, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Well if its any consolation, Scotland is actually one of my favourite countries in the world. But where would it be without England? Probably the same as Ireland used to be 30-40 years ago. But that doesn't distract it from being such a beautiful country with friendly people.
Old May 27th 2010, 6:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

But where would it be without England?
Who knows? Well you apparently....

But, who's to say it would be any worse or better off than it is now.

I remember the figures theduke is referring to, but can't find them for reference. Essentially Scottish GDP per capita is 95% of the UK average. That's lower than London, the South East & East Anglia but higher than all other regions of England & Wales e.g. the Midlands, South West, North West, North East etc etc.

So really Scotland is not an underperformer in the UK...areas of England are far worse.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:39 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=bcworld;8592855]Who knows? Well you apparently....

But, who's to say it would be any worse or better off than it is now.

I remember the figures theduke is referring to, but can't find them for reference. Essentially Scottish GDP per capita is 95% of the UK average. That's lower than London, the South East & East Anglia but higher than all other regions of England & Wales e.g. the Midlands, South West, North West, North East etc etc.

So really Scotland is not an underperformer in the UK...areas of England are far worse.[/QUOTE

A voice for Scotland cries

WHERE DID ALL OUR OIL GO ???
Old May 27th 2010, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke
Very well put and totally agree, don't know so much about UK being relegated though, would probably be Arsenal because always the bridesmaid never the bride sort of thing.
Not sure I like this analogy! I think the U.K. is more like Liverpool, was o.k. in the 70's and 80's but needs a boost
Old May 28th 2010, 1:07 am

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Not sure I like this analogy! I think the U.K. is more like Liverpool, was o.k. in the 70's and 80's but needs a boost
Sorry Perry just an upto the moment comment, withdrawn
Old May 28th 2010, 1:12 am

where did all our oil go and whiskey which is another of the biggest exports from the UK, what is exported from England.

No offence to any English people on here at all, I do believe that Great Britain would not be Great without every part. This is not a we are better than you thing. Just listening to someone who hasn't the fogiest idea of what actually goes on outside their bubble and comes out with hardline comments people have been killed for in the past just gets on my goat.
Old May 28th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by theduke
where did all our oil go and whiskey which is another of the biggest exports from the UK, what is exported from England.

No offence to any English people on here at all, I do believe that Great Britain would not be Great without every part. This is not a we are better than you thing. Just listening to someone who hasn't the fogiest idea of what actually goes on outside their bubble and comes out with hardline comments people have been killed for in the past just gets on my goat.
Totally agree although Great Britain is a bit arrogant, bit late to change it now though I suppose, similarly New Zealand is not so new any more (even for a 3rd world country).

I think we could afford to lose Wales no one would miss it.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Actually I work in the oil industry so am well aware that Scotland has oil. But it's not just about having the oil physically it's also about finding it and getting it out of the ground which is down to the international oil companies. It's who finds the oil that benefits the most.

I don't understand why you are upset, just saying that like NZ, Scotland wouldn't be in the premiere league if it was a football team, are you saying you disagree with me? This is coming from someone who likes Scotland and I even have Scottish blood in me. Edinburgh is also my favourite city in the world.
Old May 28th 2010, 5:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

There's a bit of a difference between

just saying that like NZ, Scotland wouldn't be in the premiere league if it was a football team
and

Scotland would be bankrupt were it not for England.
...hence why some people disagree with your views.

Here's those GDP figures, 1999 granted, however no reason to believe the order of things will have changed since then.

Maybe NE England, NW England, Yorkshire & the Humber, E Midlands, W Midlands, the SW & Wales would be bankrupt without Scotland's contribution...or maybe not.
Attached Thumbnails Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country-gdp.png  
Old May 28th 2010, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Maybe I was exagerrating a little regarding the bankrupcy but my question to you is how would Scotland have bailed out their banks on their own? See related link.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7022678.ece

So maybe I'm wrong about bankrupcy but you tell me how Scotland could afford this on their own? I'm not an economist so I don't know.

Scotland is a great country, but it's not a big or important country, neither is NZ.
Old May 28th 2010, 6:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Maybe I was exagerrating a little regarding the bankrupcy but my question to you is how would Scotland have bailed out their banks on their own? See related link.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7022678.ece

So maybe I'm wrong about bankrupcy but you tell me how Scotland could afford this on their own? I'm not an economist so I don't know.

Scotland is a great country, but it's not a big or important country, neither is NZ.
There are too many 'what-ifs' to answer your question.

Principally, if Scotland were independent, would RBS be what it is today anyway? I suspect not.

Last edited by bcworld; May 28th 2010 at 6:30 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

It seems this is turning into a very nationalistic argument which was not my intention. All this talk of killing people is a bit too much for me.
Old May 28th 2010, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Well if it is 3rd World,two of it's cities feature in the top twenty of this report. :-

http://money.uk.msn.com/msn-local/ph...ntid=153545482

I don't notice Manchester,Liverpool or any other UK city mentioned though. Quelle surprise.
They seemed to have overlooked Crewe as well,an oversight surely ? (Could have been mistaken for Beirut ?)
Old May 28th 2010, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

There are too many 'what-ifs' to answer your question.

Principally, if Scotland were independent, would RBS be what it is today anyway? I suspect not.
Perhaps Scotland's GDP would drop quite a bit as well, what's does 3 years of GDP convert to on an overall basis? But in any case, neither Scotland or NZ are third world countries and neither would be in the premiere league if they were football teams. That said, I love both countries, to me I don't need to feel like I'm in the center of the world and I love the outdoor lifestyles of both countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.