Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Old May 13th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country

Originally Posted by Yotty
Nurries WP ... Crap Coffee always loses something in translation .. I hope she won't mind me saying that ..
I don't think so.

(however 4 languages in my head all the time.)

well I was simply joking.. am I not allowed to?

I did know what he was referring to. just thought its disgusting/FUNNY!! but I don't know Monty Pyton at all. never heard of it.

and can't follow Yotty's link yet, cos can't open YOUTUBe here...

To Whinging Pom -- Thanks for your kind explanation, I very much appreciate.

Last edited by crap coffee; May 13th 2010 at 3:35 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:52 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Shazmoo
VERY glad to hear it to im heading out in December and reading this thread was very disheartening. Luckily im heading to Wellington which ive heard it superb! xx
Very lucky, I am sure their is an abundance of broadband provider who can take it right to your door, no waiting for months.

And especially no kids going to school in their bare feet, or having not eaten for a day or so, no never in Wellington. Surely if this was happening the governement would step in and help the kids out, i.e. school lunches and anyway the teachers will make sure they are ok, won't they?

No gangs running things, just like the UK, never happen in Wellington?

Yeh never happen on my doorstep, or yours, so who cares.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:53 am

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AH30
How can NZ be a third world country? Third world means:

1. No running water, or if there is it isn't drinkable. All major NZ towns and cities have drinkable running water. This does vary in quality depending on location but I don't know of any places in NZ where you are likely to fall very ill by drinking the water.
2. Bad quality roads. I've travelled to many places around the world and yes, NZ roads aren't quite up to the standard of the UK, USA or western Europe but but they are certainly far far ahead of any third world country I've been to. As far as I'm aware roads in NZ don't have potholes everywhere and the only unsealed roads are in very remote areas where there's hardly any traffic.
3. High incidence of deadly diseases. As far as I'm aware NZ doesn't have any higher rate of deadly diseases than other first world countries.
4. Famine. NZ is one of the few countries in the world that produces more food than it consumes. There may be poor people in NZ but certainly 99.9 % of the population are not starving.
5. Low life expectency. I'm not sure how NZ compares with other first world countries here but I would think it would be generally comparable to other first world countries, although Maori/Pacific Islander are probably significantly lower than other New Zealanders and this may bring it down a bit.

I could go on and on.
So where in Auckland are you talking about? Or is this outside?
Old May 13th 2010, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999
2. Bad quality roads. I've travelled to many places around the world and yes, NZ roads aren't quite up to the standard of the UK, USA or western Europe but but they are certainly far far ahead of any third world country I've been to. As far as I'm aware roads in NZ don't have potholes everywhere and the only unsealed roads are in very remote areas where there's hardly any traffic.

Don't go down that path the UK is suffering very badly with bad roads and potholes
Lol, just wait till you get here and ride your bike on them and then you will find out.
Old May 13th 2010, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by Genesis
You were lucky, we used to live in a septic tank............. Monty Pyton C 1970
Septic tank, you had it easy!
Old May 13th 2010, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theduke

No gangs running things, just like the UK, never happen in Wellington?
Not really. You will get to see more people who dressed up (suits) properly even at late night times (in town I mean). - lots of office workers go home late .. like myself. I've never felt unsafe and people (usually) seem pleasant in Welly. never seen gangs here....so far.....

Last edited by crap coffee; May 13th 2010 at 3:09 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 4:02 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
?

I know its H2SO4 but why would you drink? Is it tasty?
At first intensly of mineral and then it’s very sour .
Old May 13th 2010, 8:13 am

Ok New Zealand is probably more like a developing country
Old May 13th 2010, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Scotland is only first world because it's attached to England.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by theduke
nah its 3rd world! cos they sell this stuff.. at a big supermarket. think must be popular otherwise wouldn't sell it.
Attached Thumbnails Is New Zealand a 3rd World Country-chicken-feet.jpg  
Old May 13th 2010, 3:23 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Then he should stop being such a big cry baby . Many first year uni students live on that.

FFS you give people free money and they still moan.
Uni students tend to be young and gravitate to same places and share accomodation, which does help. They also tend to pick up part time and seasonal work.

A man in his 50s is not your usual sort after flatmate. and at 50 sharing accomodation with others can be loaded with problems that at a younger age we tend to let go by.

What would u have....give them nothing and let them die of starvation or commit crimes to live? Grow up! EVERY human being should have the right to access affordable food and shelter, utilities, clean water, heatlhcare and education.

I'd like to see you manage on $50 a week for groceries, toiletries, transport, clothing, phone calls etc. Some people are just too self-righteous and smug.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

What would u have....give them nothing and let them die of starvation or commit crimes to live? Grow up! EVERY human being should have the right to access affordable food and shelter, utilities, clean water, heatlhcare and education.
A benefit is not a right. If he's not happy with $200 per week and getting his accomodation provided, how do you think people like me feel who get nothing from the government and have to pay for my own accomodation for well over a year that I was out of work.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:36 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
All very, valid points and all true. But do you not think the same is going on in Oz and many, many other countries? There is poverty in NZ, aswell as the US, UK, France et al. Oz does have a way better wages thing going on than NZ but its not everything.

Virtually all the people who live in Nz and who have emigrated to Nz could be in Oz if they wanted but we chose to be here warts an all. No where is perfect and we all know NZ has a plethora of issues but it affords many of us a good life for both those of us with money and those who have less of it ( I am in the latter bracket at present!!).
I understand what you're saying and I'd say the poverty in US is worse, but you also have to realise NZ never had poverty like it has now. And a country with a pop of 4 million is never going to be an economic powerhouse. What NZ (and other western countries) need is to adopt the Scandinavian model of welfare and work reform.

Migrants (not all, but a significant number who post on this and other forums) have in general arrived with a tidy sum of money and assets back in their country of origin and so if they can't get and keep employment, may be well positioned to start their own businesses or to take an early retirement/semi-retirement. A hell of a lot of other people aren't and perhaps never will be in that position. It's easy to kick a dog when it's down, it takes a lot more patience, compassion and advocacy to see it on the road to healing.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:41 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by AH30
A benefit is not a right. If he's not happy with $200 per week and getting his accomodation provided, how do you think people like me feel who get nothing from the government and have to pay for my own accomodation for well over a year that I was out of work.
Actually a benefit is a right. And if you read my post correctly you'd have seen that he gets $250 a week and has to pay $200 a week out of that for his accomodation.

I can empathise with the situation you found yourself in and if a country accepts an application for residency from someone, then at some point a level of duty of care should kick in. That said, I think it's fair comment that we don't usually up stix and move to another country with the intention of claiming benefits, but sometimes that assistance does become necessary.
Old May 13th 2010, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

The aborigines live in third world conditions. But maybe Australians don't consider them to be human, so they don't count.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.