New Zealand

Old Feb 7th 2003, 10:27 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New Zealand

Originally posted by sky
Hello,well we,ve made up our minds that New Zealand is the place to go.We meaning me,husband and 3 children.So now we have lots of research to do.Ive just found this site and it looks like it will help a lot.We would love any info on the process from start to beginning.
Hi Sky, I am writing this in the comfort that we are already "in" & will move to NZ in June. I feel very lucky & fortunate to be in this position, but we had to start, same as you.

The process, once you have decided to go for it, is pretty painless. Having said that, we opted to use a migration consultant (Malcolm Pacific, highly recommended), so it meant that alot of the work was done for us. But of course you have to supply all the information in order for them to process your application

Unfortunately the points system at the moment is quite a high pass mark, 29 I think. But it was 30 untill recently, but rumour has it, that it will steadily continue to fall. It was only 25 when we applied!
Once we found we scored sufficient points,we then employed the sevices of the consultant to start the process.
We applied under the general skill category with myself as the principal applicant (Engineer).

Route out your trade certificates, apprentiship indentures, exam certificates, (including school), all of that stuff & get as many proofs of previous employment & references as you've had jobs!

Police clearance, marriage, birth, divorce certificates are required.
Then you go for medicals at a NZIS approved surgery near your location. If you are using financial funds to gain points, you have to show proof & transfer them to a NZ bank account long enough for them to see it on a statement.

Sounds a lot, but if it's want you want, you'll get through it, no worries!
It took us a few months from starting with the consultants, to getting them to submit the application. The application was accepted within 3 weeks!!!!
Then you get those lovely PR visas stuck in your passport!

I'm sure I've missed lots out, as someone will I'm sure correct me, but that's all I can think off the top of my head.
This forum has been brilliant & will continue to use it when we are in NZ.
All you have to do on this forum, is ask & you will almost certainly get an answer, there are some very nice & helpful people on here, who have supplied us with so much information, for which we are very greatfull.

Good luck, you'll be right!
Old Feb 7th 2003, 10:57 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks alan,We have just this evening been hunting down the various certificates etc that we thought we might need.What happens if you cant find them all.
Sorry for sounding stupid
Old Feb 8th 2003, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

alan can i just ask about the financial funds bit? we intend to gain a couple of points there which will be mainly from profit of house sale. what if house has not sold at time of application for pr. is it enough to send bank statement, mortgage account and estate valuation of house or do they need the actual money in the bank before pr would be granted.

this is one of the main questiions we have left regards applying (this forum has been brilliant for almost everything else) and i would really appreciate the answer to this one. our house is already on the market, but market seems slow and of course there is no guarantee as to when it will sell.

many thanks
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

No you don/t have to have the money in the bank at the time of application. If the money is coming from the sale of your house then an estate agent's valuation is sufficient plus I guess proof of liaibilities e.g. mortgage, so they can see how much equity you stand to get from sale. We didn't have a mortgage so a valuation was sufficient.

You mentioned earlier that you were worried about getting a nursing job in Chch. If anyone stands to be successful it will be a nurse, they are suffering shortages in much the same way as the UK, so the opportunities are out there. Good luck in April.

Lizzie
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks for that lizzie. it's good to know we won't have to transfer actual cash.

also thanks for the reassurance on the job front. i will soon have to make more direct approaches to the hospitals in preparation for april so i'll get a good idea then i suppose.

i hope things pick up for you soon too! thansk again
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:19 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add: you get 6 months from 'approval in principle' of PR to provide evidence you have deposited the settlement funds in NZ - passports won't get the PR visas until you have done this (if required).

Cheers - Don

Originally posted by lizzie
No you don/t have to have the money in the bank at the time of application. If the money is coming from the sale of your house then an estate agent's valuation is sufficient plus I guess proof of liaibilities e.g. mortgage, so they can see how much equity you stand to get from sale. We didn't have a mortgage so a valuation was sufficient.

You mentioned earlier that you were worried about getting a nursing job in Chch. If anyone stands to be successful it will be a nurse, they are suffering shortages in much the same way as the UK, so the opportunities are out there. Good luck in April.

Lizzie
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Just to add: you get 6 months from 'approval in principle' of PR to provide evidence you have deposited the settlement funds in NZ - passports won't get the PR visas until you have done this (if required).

Cheers - Don

thanks don,
so i won't need the cash in nz to submit application but will have to transfer it before we go. well, we can't go if the house doesn't sell anyway so that's fair enough!
Old Feb 8th 2003, 2:35 pm
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Glad others are on hand for info, thanks.

Just to confirm your questions, the funds do not have to be in a NZ account at the time of application, but they will not issue visas until the funds are transfered. They have to stay there until the NZIS see the funds there for themselves, then you can transfer them back.
To submit the application you can use a valuation on your house & a mortgage statement, for initial evidence.

We took out another mortgage to release the equity we had in our house, once we transfered the funds for evidence, we transfered them back & payed off the second mortgage.
Try & time the transfer right, so that there is a good exchange rate, unless of course you got loads a money!
Toward the NZ winter is when the dollar will be weaker & more $ per £.

This what we did, things may have changed & don't forget, we had the luxury of a consultant to tell us EXACTLY what to do.

To the question about school certificates, I had all mine in an envolope which my mother had kept safe for me, so they have followed with me wherever I've lived (aaahhhh, bless!) so no probs there. I guess you could get copies from the examination boards or through the school?
Old Feb 8th 2003, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Just a thought - but I expect you are within 5 points of the passmark to be trying for a JSV - or are you not putting in an application until you get the job offer cos you need 8 points?

If you were within 5 points and obtained a job offer worth 8 you would no longer need to submit the settlement funds as you would have 3 spare points. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? I do but can't remember whether you are going the JSV route or not

Lizzie
Old Feb 8th 2003, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Just a thought - but I expect you are within 5 points of the passmark to be trying for a JSV - or are you not putting in an application until you get the job offer cos you need 8 points?

If you were within 5 points and obtained a job offer worth 8 you would no longer need to submit the settlement funds as you would have 3 spare points. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say? I do but can't remember whether you are going the JSV route or not

Lizzie
p.s. sorry, I've got the flu at the moment so my head is a little befuddled!
Old Feb 8th 2003, 4:15 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s. sorry, I've got the flu at the moment so my head is a little befuddled!
Hi Lizzie
I DO understand you but even though you still get 8 points for job offer in the job you are trained in and the one where you have got the work experience in but i think you still have to have a settlement fund of $100,000 nzd but if you have got a spare $100,000 more you can have another 1 point but only 1
hope this helps
Gavin
Old Feb 8th 2003, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lizzie unfortunately i do need the points for settlement funds as well as a job offer. i only make 22 points including our settlement funds points, so 8 for a job offer would bring me one clear. now if the points came down to 28 i might srape it but i would probably prefer to stay one ahead if you know what i mean.

my points are a bit low as i took a few years out when the kids were little so i don't have as many years experience to claim for my age as i could have, for maximum points.

there's still hope though......isn't there?

i just have to find a job in 10 days that's all!! i'm not a dreamer or anything!!
Old Feb 8th 2003, 10:33 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jajpe
lizzie unfortunately i do need the points for settlement funds as well as a job offer. i only make 22 points including our settlement funds points, so 8 for a job offer would bring me one clear. now if the points came down to 28 i might srape it but i would probably prefer to stay one ahead if you know what i mean.

my points are a bit low as i took a few years out when the kids were little so i don't have as many years experience to claim for my age as i could have, for maximum points.

there's still hope though......isn't there?

i just have to find a job in 10 days that's all!! i'm not a dreamer or anything!!
Shirley - we were in the same position as you, ie wanting to be sure of points passmark so we volunteered 1 point more than was needed, just in case. When NZIS see you are 1 point over the passmark, they will not require you to deposit NZD100K of the settlement funds (ie same as Lizzie said).

Cheers - Don
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

coolayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Include me too

HI Buddies,
THis is another guy who wants to migrate with his family to NZ.
BUt still thinking if it would be a wise decision...?
I will keep visiting and posting on this site.
Cool
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

coolayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Include me too

HI Buddies,
THis is another guy who wants to migrate with his family to NZ.
BUt still thinking if it would be a wise decision...?
I will keep visiting and posting on this site.
Cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.