New Zealand

Old Feb 21st 2002, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Zealand

Hello Everyone,
just a couple of quick questions:
My partner and I are planing to move to NZ and are considering using The Emigration Group (with uk office in Chester). Has anyone else used these and if so what are they like.

What is the likely time scale for acceptance My partner is a teacher and i am finishing my PhD.

Finally, does anyone know of any literature regarding moving country and the traps and pitfalls.
Thanks in advance

Paul
Old Feb 21st 2002, 2:05 pm
Winnie

Default Re: New Zealand

"p__sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello Everyone, just a couple of quick questions: My partner and I are planing to
    > move to NZ and are considering using The Emigration Group (with uk office in
    > Chester). Has anyone else used these and if so what are they like.
    >
    > What is the likely time scale for acceptance My partner is a teacher and i am
    > finishing my PhD.

We just got accepted in 11 days! Did the application ourselves and it wasn't too
bad at all.

Winnie xx

Old Feb 21st 2002, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We found Living and Working in New Zealand by Mark Hempshell (ISBNJ 1-901130-05-3) helpful. It details all the information from visas to work to health and communications over there to name a few chapters - a guide to everything there really!

We also applied ourselves although we have been delayed as we misread the guide to applying and thought that we got two points for the second applicants degree when in fact we only got one. This left us short of the 25 points by just one point. NZIS were helpful though and suggested what we could do so we have gone for the work permit defferal where we have 6mths to find a job once we get to NZ, which will then give us 5 points and take us above the pass rate. I spoke to NZIS this week and we should have a response in two weeks. So we may be delayed but have saved ourselves lots of money!

Good luck

Karen
Old Feb 21st 2002, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

p__sullivan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice,
great news winnie.... was that only 11 days from the time you handed all the forms in?

Karen,
so i take it that you and your partner are going to live on funds until you get a job, any job, seeing as how you only need 1 more point and a non relevant job gives you 2 pts. When this happens (think positive!) what is the procedure after that... i only ask as at the moment we think that without a job we too will be stuck on 24 (although if i can write up my PhD before we leave then i get an extra point) and this may be an option. The Emigration group also sells itself in that they have a partner Taylor and associates which provide a job hunting service for people with a visa maybe they might be of use www.jobfastrack.co.nz/index.cfm
Thanks for the book advice ... a copy i winging its way from amazon now

cheers

Paul
Old Feb 21st 2002, 11:05 pm
Winnie

"p__sullivan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks for the advice, great news winnie.... was that only 11 days from the time
    > you handed all the forms in?

Yep. Amazing.

Good luck! Winnie xx

Old Feb 26th 2002, 6:54 am
Just Joined

Karen is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul

I don't really know what will happen once we get a job, I suppose we go to the immigration service out there and get our PR visas granted.

I'm not sure what job we will have to get, they recently introduced the system where you are supposed to get a job relevant to your qualifications, which would be IT for both of us. We are planning on doing this anyway and will see what happens once we get there.

Hope you find the book helpful
Karen