Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Years Eve fireworks in Auckland last night

New Years Eve fireworks in Auckland last night

Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default New Years Eve fireworks in Auckland last night

What a waste of bloody time, is it just one bloke with a box of Standard throwing them off the Skytower?

We decided to travel down into Devonport to watch from across the harbour, we knew the sky tower might be covered in cloud but that didn't matter too much as there were going to be 2 barges in the harbour launching more fireworks. There were 1000's of people over in Devenport, nice atmosphere and a good sense of anticipation especially from the wife and I as its our first New Year in NZ.

5,4,3,2,1 HAPPY NEW YEAR...... and nothing. No barge, no bangs, no Skytower, just a woman at the side of us projectile vommiting.

With thousands of other disappointed other we stood there for 10 minutes watching a cloud change colour.

Why was the media saying it was going to be one thing and it turned out to be something far less impressive, we wouldn't have bothered with Devonport if we'd have known the truth, that being a council worker lighting traffic lights and roman candle to throw into a cloud.

At least some of the other displays looked the part throughout the world, ours looked half arsed and to say it makes Worldwide news it's piss poor and a shoddy advert for the country.

Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Years Eve fireworks in Auckland last night

We can usually see them from our front 'dick' but not a sausage was visible this year . Thought they hadn't bothered & had used up all the budget on the fireworks at the end of the RWC. It wasn't until I saw them on the TV that I knew we'd actually had some

Piss poor indeed.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 3:52 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that a display shouldn't be hyped if it is a damp squib, but I had been thinking, why bother if nearly half the population is in bed on NY eve (according to a NZ Herald online poll)? Is it worth the expense? I guess the council thought not!
Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I was skinny dipping in the bay at midnight and saw nothing more impressive than a faint glow
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

liz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really niceliz_r is just really nice

I was sitting on the sofa in the UK watching them on Sky News - very disappointing. I thought at first it was just because of the cloud cover, but from the sound of it very little thought or effort went into them.

Call me biased (I'm a Sydneysider) but Auckland could learn a thing or two from Sydney about making use of that great harbour as a backdrop for fireworks displays. However, I really think that London must have just about edged Sydney out this year as the best fireworks display I saw anywhere.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
What a waste of bloody time, is it just one bloke with a box of Standard throwing them off the Skytower?

We decided to travel down into Devonport to watch from across the harbour, we knew the sky tower might be covered in cloud but that didn't matter too much as there were going to be 2 barges in the harbour launching more fireworks. There were 1000's of people over in Devenport, nice atmosphere and a good sense of anticipation especially from the wife and I as its our first New Year in NZ.

5,4,3,2,1 HAPPY NEW YEAR...... and nothing. No barge, no bangs, no Skytower, just a woman at the side of us projectile vommiting.

With thousands of other disappointed other we stood there for 10 minutes watching a cloud change colour.

Why was the media saying it was going to be one thing and it turned out to be something far less impressive, we wouldn't have bothered with Devonport if we'd have known the truth, that being a council worker lighting traffic lights and roman candle to throw into a cloud.

At least some of the other displays looked the part throughout the world, ours looked half arsed and to say it makes Worldwide news it's piss poor and a shoddy advert for the country.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y/dd177f9f.jpg

Welocme to New Zealand!

You'll get used to it.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:33 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liz_r
However, I really think that London must have just about edged Sydney out this year as the best fireworks display I saw anywhere.
I'm glad to see that London has improved its displays over the last few years. OK, Auckland is a tiny little city in the middle of nowhere so don't expect much, but London is a major world city and it used to be pathetic. The last few years have been much better, and I agree this year's was the best yet.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 12:12 am
Just Joined

burltonc is an unknown quantity at this point

Wasnt too bad from the Wynyard quarter, in between the clouds. Not as good as the RWC opening day though!!!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I'm glad to see that London has improved its displays over the last few years. OK, Auckland is a tiny little city in the middle of nowhere so don't expect much, but London is a major world city and it used to be pathetic. The last few years have been much better, and I agree this year's was the best yet.
They don't do a bad job, bearing in mind it's only a recent thing, this one was only the 10th display, starting in 2000 & a couple of gaps.
Before that Trafalgar Square used to be a great place to be & still is I assume. (never see it now)

Last edited by mickey_d; Jan 4th 2012 at 3:41 am.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Welocme to New Zealand!

You'll get used to it.
He hasn't been here long enough, his expectations have not been reset yet.

I agree, it was embarrassing.

Last year there was a superb display launched from rafts in the harbour, but that was paid for by the German internet entrepreneur that wants to live here.

The fireworks from the Sky Tower last year were much the same if I remember correctly.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:01 am
Just Joined

Jaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by burltonc
Wasnt too bad from the Wynyard quarter, in between the clouds. Not as good as the RWC opening day though!!!
I watched from Wynyard Quarter as well, and at least saw something through occasional breaks in the cloud. Suppose there wasn't much they could do about the low cloud but pretty poor show that they didn't use the barges as advertised.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 4:41 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I was skinny dipping in the bay at midnight and saw nothing more impressive than a faint glow
Oh...that was you, was it!!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha yep and it was bloody cold
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

We watched from Coyle Park in Pt Chev. Lovely coloured cloud. But honestly, I think that the budget probably went on the RWC plus anniversary day is coming up so makes sense to be frugal.
We weren't unhappy. It was the first time that our dd was up for New year which felt rather special
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

It surprised me as this is the one event that makes global news, the RWC will have only made the odd country but the NYE events are covered and broadcast all over the globe with Auckland been the first major city to welcome in the new year.

If its like that every year I'll not bother next year, might as well watch one of the neighbours letting a few rockets off.

Can't pay for coverage like they receive, ACC need to start releasing they're missing out on some tremendous publicity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.