Reload this Page >

New & wanting info on Mount Wellington Area

New & wanting info on Mount Wellington Area

Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:12 am
Just Joined

JaseWales is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New & wanting info on Mount Wellington or Browns Bay

Hi everyone,
We're new to this forum and would like any advice on moving out to Newzealand.
Myself,partner and four children are flying out in august 2012 after finally sorting everything out.
We are looking at living in Mount Wellington around the Penrose area and looking at Bailey Road School. Can anyone advise us on this area please. We have visited Newzealand before and there are loads of nice places to choose from.
Thanks.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat094; Jun 7th 2012 at 11:25 pm. Reason: To reflect what OP is looking for
Old Jun 7th 2012, 5:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New & wanting info on Mount Wellington Area

Originally Posted by JaseWales
Hi everyone,
Myself,partner and four children are flying out in august 2012 after finally sorting everything out.
We are looking at living in Mount Wellington around the Penrose area and looking at Bailey Road School. Can anyone advise us on this area please. We have visited Newzealand before and there are loads of nice places to choose from.
Thanks.
Hello & welcome to our NZ forums JaseWales . I have moved your post from the June 2012 UK leavers thread as you aren't travelling until August. I hope you are happy with the thread title I have given. If not, please email me & I can tweak it for you .

Hopefully more people will see your question now & be able to give you some help.
Best of luck with all your plans
Old Jun 7th 2012, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Thanks for the help. We are also looking at Browns Bay, would be pleased if anyone as any info on that area. Main concern is our children settling in, we have visited Newzealand 2 years ago and they loved it.

Thanks look forward to any helpful advice.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:31 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New & wanting info on Mount Wellington or Browns Bay

Originally Posted by JaseWales
Hi everyone,
Thanks.
I drive through Penrose and Mt Wellington for work and I probably would not pick it as a place to live myself. Others may disagree. It's quite industrial I think.

Browns Bay may be better (not familiar with it myself) but is a lot further away. Why did you pick those areas?
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi, we chose the area's after looking at the schools they seem ok. The areas we thought were quite reasonable with rental property's. We have been to NZ visited Browns Bay which we liked and is in a nice quiet location, but did not look at the school's in the area. We looked at Devonport which our kid's loved,but the property's are way over priced. Also my work will be in and around Auckland City, we don't want to live in the City. We prefer somewhere quiet. Wasn't aware of mount wellington being an industrial area, we did not travel into that area, thank's for the info. More would be appreciated if you have any.Thanks.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:31 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

If it is quiet you are looking for I wouldn't recommend Mt Wellington. It's cheap for a reason. If you liked the feel of Browns Bay I'd head in that direction. I personally wouldn't want to commute over the Harbour Bridge every day, but many do, and you may not mind it if it gives you the lifestyle you want the rest of the time. Lots of Brits move to the North Shore so I'm sure someone can give better advice here.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for the advice. I think it will be the area to go for. We originally would have liked to have lived in Orewa. It would be a bit far out to travel to work. We stayed over a few days here, on our travels to see The Lion Man. Kids loved it. On the way back we stayed in Orewa again kids did not want to stay anywhere else.
We have just booked our flight's for the middle of August ( the cheapest time). We can't wait we'r all excited.

Thanks again for your advice, if you have anymore,
please let us know.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Personally, I wouldn't choose Mt Wellington either, although there is a nice new housing development Stonefields recently built/being built at the base of Mt Wellington. We are over towards the eastern side - Howick/Cockle Bay - Dannemora is nice too. The schools are all excellent - mostly Decile 10 I think. We are near the beaches at Howick/Cockle Bay, easy access to the city (well rush hour a bit of a pain), although you can get the ferry in from Half Moon Bay nearby, lots of nice shopping areas if you like shopping - Botany Town Centre, Sylvia Park. Plus local multi-screen cinema, bowling, ice rink at Botany Town Centre, plenty of eateries, can't really complain!

Howick has village feel and has a lovely market on Saturday mornings.

... and airport is about half hour drive away so not too far to travel if you are picking up visitors/going away yourself