British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New UK passport and UK passport renewal - please help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-uk-passport-uk-passport-renewal-please-help-687687/)

ble Oct 1st 2010 8:11 am

New UK passport and UK passport renewal - please help

Hi Guys

I have read through some old threads, and have read over the information on the ukinnewzealand website. But I am still slightly confused, and OH and I are now having a heated discussion over this topic - so I got sent back to the computer to search more information.

I have two (exisiting) children that need their UK passports renewed. One expires in a week or so and one in six months.
As we aren't moving back to the UK until middle of next year, I was going to wait and send away for them closer to when they are needed.
But my OH thinks that it will be a real hassle to try and get an expired passport renewed for a child as they will want all of the certificates etc (like we were applying for it the first time).
Is this the case - or is it still a simply renewal even if the passport has expired.

I should add that these children were born in Scotland (and yes have both NZ and Uk passports).

My next question is for the child that is yet to be born.
They will be born in NZ but will need a UK passport (which they are eligible for as UK born father and now UK citizen mother) for when we move - or I picture us with four young children being turned away at passport control.

Reading through the form, am I correct in assuming that I can use the same form CS for the brand new passport as well as the renewals?

Or is it similar to when we were living in the UK and I applied for the elder childrens NZ citizen by descent first and then their passports, or do we just need this?

If any one has done this recently via the PO (that is apply for a brand new childs passport) I would love to know how easy it was and what hoops had to be jumped through (so to speak).

And now I just need to rob the bank to fund all of these.:rofl:

nelsonpom Oct 1st 2010 10:58 am

Re: New UK passport and UK passport renewal - please help

Originally Posted by ble (Post 8888789)
Hi Guys

I have read through some old threads, and have read over the information on the ukinnewzealand website. But I am still slightly confused, and OH and I are now having a heated discussion over this topic - so I got sent back to the computer to search more information.

I have two (exisiting) children that need their UK passports renewed. One expires in a week or so and one in six months.
As we aren't moving back to the UK until middle of next year, I was going to wait and send away for them closer to when they are needed.
But my OH thinks that it will be a real hassle to try and get an expired passport renewed for a child as they will want all of the certificates etc (like we were applying for it the first time).
Is this the case - or is it still a simply renewal even if the passport has expired.

I should add that these children were born in Scotland (and yes have both NZ and Uk passports).

They will be born in NZ but will need a UK passport (which they are eligible for as UK born father and now UK citizen mother) for when we move - or I picture us with four young children being turned away at passport control.

Reading through the form, am I correct in assuming that I can use the same form CS for the brand new passport as well as the renewals?

Or is it similar to when we were living in the UK and I applied for the elder childrens NZ citizen by descent first and then their passports, or do we just need this?

If any one has done this recently via the PO (that is apply for a brand new childs passport) I would love to know how easy it was and what hoops had to be jumped through (so to speak).

And now I just need to rob the bank to fund all of these.:rofl:

We just got our daughter a brand new uk passport (she is 1). Just had to fill in form, enclose her birth certificate and mum or dads (as we both hold uk passports), current picture, pay the fee and give uk address. Becomes more expensive if you go thru NZ I believe. :D

ble Oct 1st 2010 9:09 pm

We just got our daughter a brand new uk passport (she is 1). Just had to fill in form, enclose her birth certificate and mum or dads (as we both hold uk passports), current picture, pay the fee and give uk address. Becomes more expensive if you go thru NZ I believe.

Was she born in NZ?
I am guessing that you are based in Nelson, so where you off on holiday to the UK, and just had it posted etc to family in the UK and picked it up once there?

We are moving back permanently so will need to get it for the baby (once arrived) here so that he has residency. So will just need to take the hit of cost. Same for the other kids that need theirs renewed.
For a holiday it wouldn't ahve mattered, they could have traveled on which ever passport was current at the time.

nelsonpom Oct 2nd 2010 1:20 am

Originally Posted by ble (Post 8890306)
Was she born in NZ?
I am guessing that you are based in Nelson, so where you off on holiday to the UK, and just had it posted etc to family in the UK and picked it up once there?

We are moving back permanently so will need to get it for the baby (once arrived) here so that he has residency. So will just need to take the hit of cost. Same for the other kids that need theirs renewed.
For a holiday it wouldn't ahve mattered, they could have traveled on which ever passport was current at the time.

Yes she was born NZ and we went on holiday abd picked it up, but if I wasn't going on holiday I would have got mum-in-law to send it to us after she received it.

KiwiGeraint Oct 3rd 2010 3:40 am

It is slightly more of a hassle for sure, you will need their FULL British birth certificates, and yes if a passport has expired when you go to renew it does become a "new passport application" - I did mine via post shop earlier in the year (I lost the passport some 6 years ago and it had since expired) it took about 3 weeks in total. The only issue I had was that it was a kiwi guy processing it and he didn't really understand the British system so was asking me for things like my mother & fathers birth certificate (who are both in the UK) but after a bit of heated "debate" over the phone he put the application in (the actual application goes to the UK via the internet where they get to say yes or no) and my new passport was printed about 3 days later. The lognest part of all of it was the 15 day wait for it to get under his nose. But it was otherwise pretty swift and I dont think much more hassle than a renewal (probably wouldn't have had to call and tell the guy how to do his job for a renewal but *shrug*)

For the unborn get a C2 filled out and certified copies of you and OH's birth certs.

ble Oct 3rd 2010 3:57 am

Thanks everyone for the answers.

Now have a plan of attack.
Can't believe that we didn't think to go to the UK direct.govt.uk website and find the answers written there for the new baby in plan english.

It was a number of things to apply for and fill out to get the elder kids their NZ passports while in the UK, and stupidly, I had assumed a similar process going the other way (ie british by descent). But no.

I am blaming pregnancy brain:rofl:

Nelsonpom - thanks for the tip on the difference in cost. Even if I just do the two renewals that I need to do, and with the posting too and fro it is going to be about 150 quid cheaper. So now need to ring up my mother-in-law and talk nicely too her. Oh and check when she is going to be int eh country to post things for us.

Pollyana Oct 3rd 2010 4:05 am

For anyone who needs the link for renewing UK passports in NZ :)

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...pplying-in-nz/