British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New to Torbay new to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-torbay-new-nz-774952/)

Waboardman Oct 18th 2012 1:00 am

New to Torbay new to NZ

Hello to everybody, as per topic title we have been in Torbay for nearly 3 weeks after I was sitting comfortably in the lounge in the UK 7 weeks ago to sitting in our apartment in Torbay today as I type. So far so good love the location of just being outside Auckland and getting use to life here. Have read a few of the posts and intend to stick around :D

Cheers
Wayne

Justcol Oct 18th 2012 5:03 am

Re: New to Torbay new to NZ

Have you been down to browns bay yet, theres an english style pub there (speakers corner)
that sells quite a few english beers, good for meeting other expats too.

welcome to nz :thumbup:

Waboardman Oct 18th 2012 5:16 am

Yes been down to Speakers and had a beer (not a huge beer drinker) but watched the Rugby looks like it could be a lively place when full, and half decent food. No pubs/bars in Torbay and only a handful of shops so Browns Bay is where it all happens. But will keep on popping in to Speakers.

And thanks for the welcome.

GoingIn2011 Oct 18th 2012 8:06 am

Are you in Sea Vista Apartments? That's where we stayed when we first arrived! Waiake Beach is still our fave and we have visited many since we arrived last year.

Welcome to NZ :-)

Waboardman Oct 18th 2012 8:27 am

Thanks GoingIn2011 we did look at sea view but we are currently renting on Deep Creek Road it's basic but clean and tidy and base for now until we are settled and sorted. The beach is great, wonder what it's going to be like in summer? And location is good for what we need as well school just a hike up the hill and boy is it a hill. Beach 5 minutes walk and amenities again a few minutes drive. The locals seem to be super friendly as well certainly the ones we have come into contact with.

janeyk Oct 18th 2012 6:53 pm

Welcome we also live in Torbay you must trat yourself to an evening meal in Tides the food is lovely,
The bars in Albany on a friday in the Mall also have a good atmosphere, we will be moving close to you next week we currently live the other end of Torbay looking forard to the summer by the beach

Waboardman Oct 18th 2012 7:05 pm

We have tested Tides, whilst it was great food and a nice place we unfortunately booked at the same time as a 40th Birthday and we had small kids with us so was a little spoiled, but will be back. Didn't think about Westfield have been a couple of times, on our first day here my wife was shopping with her sister and came home with a free view box and won a huge 6grill BBQ which still needs christening. Well if you see a tall bald man with a camera lying in the sand taking snaps say hi it's me.

Foxesecho Oct 18th 2012 9:47 pm

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to Torbay. Have been here for 3.5 years and love the location. If you fancy a coffee or fish and chips on the beach just give us a shout :)

Waboardman Oct 18th 2012 10:48 pm

Many thanks for that offer Foxesecho never pass up the chance of Fish and chips :D so will have to arrange something, we are a 3 some my wife Jo,little fella Jakob 10 year old and Me Wayne.

GoingIn2011 Oct 19th 2012 1:05 am

Hi again,

I have to say, of all the places we have eaten we love Tides the best. Of course, it is opposite an awesome beach and the little play park (we have young-ish kids too) but their Gluten free options are really good. They are really good with our kids too, they get out colouring books and crayons they keep there etc... while we wait for our food. :thumbsup:

Also, when you have sorted out a babysitter, I highly recommend that place just up from Sea Vista on the opposite side of the road. I can't remember the name but it is about 100 yards up from Sea Vista going away from Tides. The food in there was superb!

We are moving back up that way because we always seem to be driving up there from out West for the safer beaches. We love it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Justcol Oct 19th 2012 4:08 am

other good night out options are Takapuna on friday or sat nights, theres enough bars along Hurstmere Road to keep you busy.
The elephant wrestler and the Irish bar next door both have live music on fridays and I think dj's on saturdays.
There is also the option of getting the ferry from devonport ($11 return) straight into the city but you'd have to drive
or get the bus / taxi to devo so would probably defeat the object.
Albany has some good bars but they are a little spread out. The New Brew is good and has a couple of other bars next door
and again its a pretty good night at weekends

Waboardman Oct 20th 2012 4:30 am

Thanks for all the recommendations really appreciate it, until we are sorted with babysitters etc it will be dining out with a 10 year old not a major problem but limits us to the late night places etc. GoingIn2011 we have seen that place you have mentioned and thought we would have to try that as well.