Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Tax on non-NZ personal & occupation pension plans to hit migrants old and new

New Tax on non-NZ personal & occupation pension plans to hit migrants old and new

Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New Tax on non-NZ personal & occupation pension plans to hit migrants old and new

Originally Posted by Genesis
I think we should start some kind of protest against what appears to be a sodding awful and unfair tax.
Yes.

It is the kind of thing that will seriously make me think of leaving NZ if they hit us with a bill for what was apparently a tax free vehicle
I said the exact same thing to Mr BEVS last evening. It may well be the straw that broke the camels back.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Tax on non-NZ personal & occupation pension plans to hit migrants old and new

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes.

I said the exact same thing to Mr BEVS last evening. It may well be the straw that broke the camels back.
I will cut off my nose to spite my face (if Kate agrees!!), we can find somewhere else to live eh? I have done my submission and have asked Kate to do one and have asked her to send the email to another 'QROPs victim' at her work. I have also been onto the Dom Post as I have spoken to a reporter about his a while back. Can I suggest the more of us that call the Dom Post the better then he might see the public interest in it. Better not give any names (as I don't have his permission) just ask for the chap who deals with matters fiscal/IRD that type of thing. It is all about getting a ground swell of opostion against this really unfair retro-taxation.

In my submission I have suggested they will alienate many people and that the taxation should be one that is invoked at a future date rather than retro taxing us which is incredibly unfair. I would not have touched this QROPs thing with a barge pole had I thought/known there was ANY tax liability.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: Bev - "Does the transitional period apply to us then, even though this 4 year thing wasn't around when we first arrived?
"

The Transitional Period is important for the fact that IF you transferred your pension DURING the first 4 years, then these new proposals do not apply. The document does confirm that the 4 years applies to all migrants (see page 6, point 2.18 of the document at previously provided link).

If you transferred your pension AFTER the 4 year period, then the proposals are to tax some or all of the transferred value.

I fully agree that the proposals are unfair. There was advisory information from the IRD at the time to suggest that foriegn superannuation schemes were exempt from tax. Now the IRD are saying the opposite.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 29th 2012 at 11:34 pm. Reason: Quote didn't work
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chc4me
Genesis:
If you were a transitional resident WHEN you transferred your UK Pension to a NZ QROPS then you are in the clear, these proposals do not apply = NO TAX !! This is clearly written in the proposals on page 2.

Transitional Resident is 4 years from when you arrived in NZ.

The proposed tax is not an increase on the value in your NZ QROPS (hmmm, your provider doesn't know what they are doing do they?)
Alas I think we are liable if they pass it as we did not go down the QROPs route until some time after April 2010. Are they right about the 4 year transitional period starting form the 1st FULL year or does it start the moment you arrive in NZ?

AND yes you are right these bloody QROPs people who charged me a small fortune and do not appear to know their full facts.

So, thus far........ I am going to be shafted by the IRD so it seems, bloody Hanover Finance and the QROPs people. NZ is a BLOODY JOKE! Want to lose ALL your money?? The shores of NZ has any number of friendly money grabbing so and sos who will take it most of it for you.
Old Jul 29th 2012, 11:45 pm
`

"

If you transferred your pension AFTER the 4 year period, then the proposals are to tax some or all of the transferred value.
Right. BUT the transfer value is not reflective of unearned income is it. The total sum of that money isn't all windfall & positive investment It is reflective of the money I put into the UK pension plan plus any increase or loss that money did or did not earn in the managed funds. In fact, the UK pension was managed.

I fully agree that the proposals are unfair. There was advisory information from the IRD at the time to suggest that foriegn superannuation schemes were exempt from tax. Now the IRD are saying the opposite.
Can you link to where NZ IRD seem to suggest the above please? If that's still possible.

Does NZ IRD actually know how UK private and occupational pension funds work?
I'd be interested to know what they deem fair to tax on a final salary scheme.

I agree with Genesis on this. We are going to be swindled. There is no way I would have moved those funds under these circumstances. They would have sat there until our pensionable ages came and then we would have made further decisions.
Mr BEVS would certainly have left his NHS one and drawn when the time came.

I am so very angry .
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Quote BEV "Can you link to where NZ IRD seem to suggest the above please? If that's still possible."
The document is called "Qualifying Foreign Private Annuities" and number IR257. The document, appears to have been removed with the IRD website, saying it is current under review. But I found one here and saved a copy for future reference.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 30th 2012 at 12:09 am.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:11 am
`

Not sure I thanked you for this ChCh4me.

Thank you for this thread.

All migrants should be reading and commenting on this. It's just so important.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not sure I thanked you for this ChCh4me.

Thank you for this thread.
Thanks Bev, but it's never nice to be the bearer of such news. Thought it was important to bring to everyones attention as it is vitally important to understand such issues. Will keep everyone posted as new info comes to light.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

Please excuse my ignorance, as a newly arrived immigrant I receive a monthly British Army pension (disablement) and a War pension. This was tax free in the UK and the relevant agencies (SPVA Veterans agency) have assured me that it is in NZ - Do I need to start worrying?
Cheers,
Mark.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
Please excuse my ignorance, as a newly arrived immigrant I receive a monthly British Army pension (disablement) and a War pension. This was tax free in the UK and the relevant agencies (SPVA Veterans agency) have assured me that it is in NZ - Do I need to start worrying?
Cheers,
Mark.
My mate has a regular pension from the UK army, he had no idea it was taxable here in NZ..it was. I do not know if yours is the same as it appears to be a disablement one which I assume is different from a 'normal' one.

Best you call the IRD NZ AND take advice from a tax expert regarding your NZ tax liability re this pension. I had no idea for the 1st 3 years that I had to declare all money I made in the uk....not much mind you, just a few small dividends and a bit of UK interest..it was/is all taxable.

I had to go to the tax man and pay back tax etc. Alas ignorance is not innocence. Many people like me did/do not know that any UK income has to be declared to the NZ tax man. For instance if you get rental from your UK home you must declare it. Of course there is the 4 year exemption for all new arrivals after some time in 2006 that will see you quids in re this matter.

On another matter an example of how things can change re tax liability is any income over $500 from your kids is now seen as 'income' for the purposes of claiming Working for Family Tax credits..we all need to be vigilant re tax issues.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 12:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks from me too chc4me. I've just printed everything off & will give it to the other half to peruse .

Good to see you back Genesis . We didn't know about declaring stuff either, only found out this year & we haven't done anything about it yet .

I was just starting to feel that we may get on top of things financially in the next couple of years but looks like we could be screwed again. Trying to stay calm at this point.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bev, but it's never nice to be the bearer of such news. Thought it was important to bring to everyones attention as it is vitally important to understand such issues. Will keep everyone posted as new info comes to light.
Right now I am fully confused and possibly really peeved.

I have been here 5 years this year and transferred my UK pension into a QROPS scheme with 40% in an unlocked account which was able to be withdrawn after 5 full tax years and the remaining 60% in a locked scheme, which I am unable to touch until retirement age.

So does this mean I am being penalized and taxed on this money already in an NZ investment fund?

Im confused as hell now ......
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Alanmac,
You've been here 5 years, but when did you transfer your pension? Was it within the first 4 years? If so, you are in the clear, if not, you could be caught in the new proposals.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Alanmac,
You've been here 5 years, but when did you transfer your pension? Was it within the first 4 years? If so, you are in the clear, if not, you could be caught in the new proposals.
Phew ...... yup brought it over in the first couple of years ......., cheers Chc4me

Old Jul 30th 2012, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Many thanks from me too chc4me. I've just printed everything off & will give it to the other half to peruse .

Good to see you back Genesis . We didn't know about declaring stuff either, only found out this year & we haven't done anything about it yet .

I was just starting to feel that we may get on top of things financially in the next couple of years but looks like we could be screwed again. Trying to stay calm at this point.
Talking of screwed I have never parted with so much cash in my life since coming to NZ. What with all the Finance house crap and now a potentially huge tax bill in the wings!! Factor in a $70k plus bill for a new roof (if I want to ensure the viability of my home for the next 20 years) NZ has been a VERY VERY big money pit for us!!!!!!!!

What did they say about the fool and his money? Hmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.