Reload this Page >

New to this site with a few Plumbing questions

New to this site with a few Plumbing questions

Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:20 am
Just Joined

larneylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to this site with a few Plumbing questions

Hello,

I am presently studying to complete my City & Guilds NVQ level 2 in Plumbing here in the UK. I finish my course in June 2008 and I would have accrued a little over 4 years UK experience, with 3 months plumbing and drainage experience in New Zealand. I also have a BPEC Solar Hot water installer certificate. I have recently read articles on the NZ immigration web site and a lot of the information seems precise, yet it also appears to have 'grey areas' and even 'loop-holes'.

I have also been told that there is a lady on this site called Bev, whom has come highly recommended as been a 'guru' within this field? Well, if Bev is out there it would be great to chat to you or directed to threads relative to my 'new information gathering process'. I also look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks
Lee
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:04 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New to this site with a few Plumbing questions

Echo !

Below is the answer I put to your other thread Larney, just to get us started.

Way Hay Mon. I'm here for roll call. Hope we all had a great Easter break & welcome to this forum LarneyLee.

Have we spoken before somewhere, ages ago in the dim and distance past? I think we have.

Anyhow. Me and himself are here and will try and give you answers to your plumbing questions.

First things first Larney..... can I interest you in going on to complete the Level 3 NVQ ? I feel this may be in your best interests if you intend returning to NZ and wish to go through the process of becoming a fully qualified registered NZ plumber without having to spend time and $$ undergoing further NZ training here.

You will already be familiar with the PGDB licensing system and know that you can work here under a limited licence.
Thing is to have the easiest route possible to becoming a registered NZ plumber.
When the PGDB assess your NVQ and work exp. you will want them to state that they part recognise your UK quals towards registration and that you only have to sit the registration 9192 exam and pass a practical assessment.
What you don't want is to be told that you have to pass the National Certificate first before even going on to registration exams.

Normally NZ looks for an equivalent level 4 with this trade. That would have been a C&G 1 and 2 certificates - that is 4 intensive years apprenticeship with two certificates issued, the advanced one having three parts.
I believe that the equivalent NVQ for this is level 3. Of course, I am happy to stand corrected.

I have recently been in touch with C&G with regard to NVQs and received a muddled response.
Likewise with the PGDB who flannelled giving exacting information. What did I expect ?

Do you need to re-apply to work in NZ or have you PR already.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Hello Bev,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, we had chatted some time back however, my enquiries were more related to an apprenticeship in New Zealand. I originally got my work visa on the basis of been married to a New Zealand national, but unfortunately things never worked out for us. I also had an accident a few weeks before leaving the UK for NZ and I only managed to work for about 3 months before my circumstances changed. I returned back to the UK as I just could not support myself while in my aprenticeship there. Anyways, back in the UK and having to consider getting back into NZ the Skilled Migrant way.

Thank you for the information to date. The bit of researching I have done tends to leave me somewhat never certain of exacting requirements, though I never expected it to be easy. I contacted some Immigration agencies here and fire questions off to them about Plumbing etc. They say a person can get in on an NVQ level 2; though as you have explained there would still be registration and courses to complete to attain a NZ equivalent. I'm sure these agencies are not particularly concerned once you are on the ground in NZ.

I will definitly consider looking into the NVQ level 3 here, but I have found it so incredibly hard to find an employer to take me on at the young and tender age of 38 and then give me time off work for college. The company I am with is intending on closing his business down for retirement next year, which leaves me looking for another employer that will allow me off each week for college.

Anways; nice to chat to you again Bev and thanks again for the information. chat soon.

Lee
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:54 am
`

Yo Larney.

Sorry to read about your marriage.Good to know you're still plugging away . Fair play to you mate.

Your NVQ 2 may be OK to come into NZ under SMC, though I remain concerned that it would be viewed at an NZ level 3. Normally level 4 is required for trade SMC.
However, you would certainly strengthen your case if you had an NZ job to come to.

If you did try this then you would come in and work under limited licence as you did before. You would have your UK quals assessed by the PGDB who may suggest further training is required to gain the National Certificate. This doesn't necessarily mean a whole 4 year Nz apprenticeship though as you can apply to have your UK training and work experience taken into consideration. A training provider would then assess you via testing and practical assessments. Odds are , if you come in on NVQ 2, that you would simply be required to complete the three week block course and some practical assessments before being granted the National Certificate. You would then be free to take registration exams.

Employers are crying out for plumbers here. You should be able to find work offering a reasonable living wage..... not apprenticeship rates.

That's a real pain that your firm is closing down before you could go onto NVQ 3. I do hope you can find another employer. Can the college help with this?
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Hello Bev,

Just looking for any recommendations or suggestions on whether or not courses here in the UK relating to Solar Hot Water Installing, Solar Panelling and all associated environmental courses would be of a benefit doing here? Does New Zealand recognise any particular courses here? Would it just basically be an additional feather in the cap on the CV? I have mainly found courses here in the UK that you only gain cretificates through 'BPEC'. Yet again, I can only imagine that these courses would not be recognised but benefical?

Anyhow; look forward to further info and your thoughts.

Cheers,
Lee
Old Apr 27th 2007, 12:38 am
`

I'd not bother to be honest LarneyLee.
We have UK acredited solar courses under both our belts, plus clear skies as part of our little UK business was installing solar.
It'll count for nothing much here . Solar is fitted a bit differrent anyway because of pressure etc.

There is an acredited solar course here in NZ.

http://www.solarindustries.org.nz/about_Solar.html

Concentrate on your NVQ3