British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   new road rules from tomorrow 1st Nov (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-road-rules-tomorrow-1st-nov-638341/)

Stoof Oct 31st 2009 5:15 am

new road rules from tomorrow 1st Nov

just in case anyone's missed them!

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/publications...cs/leaflet.pdf

briefly:

+ ban on using hand-held mobile phones whilst driving
+ motorcycles/mopeds to use headlights/running lights during daytime hours
+ drivers may only enter a 'special' lane (eg bus lane) when less than 50 meters from their turn
+ drivers must give way to pedestrians 'obviously' waiting at a pedestrian crossing
+ vehicles towing with a non-rigid tow system (rope!) limited to 50kph

Genesis Oct 31st 2009 6:07 am

Re: new road rules from tomorrow 1st Nov

Originally Posted by Stoof (Post 8059268)
just in case anyone's missed them!

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/publications...cs/leaflet.pdf

briefly:

+ ban on using hand-held mobile phones whilst driving
+ motorcycles/mopeds to use headlights/running lights during daytime hours
+ drivers may only enter a 'special' lane (eg bus lane) when less than 50 meters from their turn
+ drivers must give way to pedestrians 'obviously' waiting at a pedestrian crossing
+ vehicles towing with a non-rigid tow system (rope!) limited to 50kph

Why anyone would use a mobile phone whilst driving is beyond me. Nothing is that important. And texting whilst driving? Should be a ban for life. People who use their mobile phones in such a way whilst driving are a menace to everyone else on the road. I welcome the new law. And anyone who tries to justify using cells whilst driving is gormless..unless it is a life or death emergency. They are well proven to reduce driver concentration and thus leading to crashes..not accidents..they are crashes. An accident is when you do something without meaning to. Rant over.

Stormer999 Oct 31st 2009 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8059305)
Why anyone would use a mobile phone whilst driving is beyond me. Nothing is that important. And texting whilst driving? Should be a ban for life. People who use their mobile phones in such a way whilst driving are a menace to everyone else on the road. I welcome the new law. And anyone who tries to justify using cells whilst driving is gormless..unless it is a life or death emergency. They are well proven to reduce driver concentration and thus leading to crashes..not accidents..they are crashes. An accident is when you do something without meaning to. Rant over.

+1:thumbup: Get it all sorted out before I come.....:thumbsup:

Stoof Oct 31st 2009 7:59 am

agreed.

We used to live in a house on a busy corner in the middle of town... early one morning, looking out of the front window (with 6 month old baby - kept her quiet people watching!) i saw a guy in a discovery trying to make the bend... coffee in one hand, phone texting in the other, and a stack of papers on the dashboard... he got it together before coming straight into our front room then looked at me with a 'what?' shrug of the shoulders... grr

Persephone Oct 31st 2009 10:28 am

It's about time. Must admit I do get annoyed that there is no mention of the fact that handsfree sets are still unsafe-it seems to be that they are pushing them as the 'safe' option. No mention [as far as I can see] of actually not using a phone at all whilst driving as by far the best option. The problem with talking to someone who isn't in the car is that they cannot modulate the conversation due to the driving conditions so demand your attention at all times.

What can be so important that you need to have a lengthy conversation whilst driving anyway? This is from someone who works on call and hates the phone ringing when I'm driving- in fact I either pull over or just ignore it until I can pull over and ring back. After all I cannot take down contact details whilst I'm driving so I still have to stop.

Jan n Neil Oct 31st 2009 10:59 am

Now they just need to sort that stupid right turn rule :sneaky:

Neil

Am Loolah Oct 31st 2009 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 8059616)
It's about time. Must admit I do get annoyed that there is no mention of the fact that handsfree sets are still unsafe-it seems to be that they are pushing them as the 'safe' option. No mention [as far as I can see] of actually not using a phone at all whilst driving as by far the best option. The problem with talking to someone who isn't in the car is that they cannot modulate the conversation due to the driving conditions so demand your attention at all times.

What can be so important that you need to have a lengthy conversation whilst driving anyway? This is from someone who works on call and hates the phone ringing when I'm driving- in fact I either pull over or just ignore it until I can pull over and ring back. After all I cannot take down contact details whilst I'm driving so I still have to stop.

Couldn't agree more.:thumbup: My voicemail message actually says "I am either with clients or I am driving ..." and I won't be changing that because of hands free options.:blink:

Genesis Oct 31st 2009 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8059828)
Couldn't agree more.:thumbup: My voicemail message actually says "I am either with clients or I am driving ..." and I won't be changing that because of hands free options.:blink:

I am delighted that soo many of us BE folk are of this opinion. We do appear to be in the minority however in both this country and the UK. What is wrong with people?? Do they not think of the potential consequences and the guilt thereafter. Can you imagine killing a child, a death DIRECTLY linked to you and your phone? Personally if it was me I doubt I could continue my life. It is such a selfish and PREMEDITATED act. Thus it will never be an accident as said above. Personally I would like to see life imprisonment for a death by mobile phone. They deserve no symapathy atall. Opps, another rant. I guess I get soooooo wound up as I imagine my feelings if the victim were Kate, Felix, Elise or Isabelle.

nelsonpom Oct 31st 2009 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 8059690)
Now they just need to sort that stupid right turn rule :sneaky:

Neil

I actually quite like it, except for the idiots who overtake the person turning left ....

Genesis Oct 31st 2009 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 8060414)
I actually quite like it, except for the idiots who overtake the person turning left ....

I agree with the others re this rule. It is soooooooooooo unclear what to do in some of the junctions...you have to guess what the person who has the right of way is going to do....I see every time I have the right of way (but can't go) people wait for me inspite of my inabilty to go..why don't they use their rear mirrors????? Its bloody dangerous out there folk!! I can see what the law was attempting to do but i reckon it causes way more probs than it solves.

southerner Oct 31st 2009 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8060522)
....I see every time I have the right of way (but can't go) people wait for me inspite of my inabilty to go..why don't they use their rear mirrors?????

Mirrors won't tell them a) if there is enough room for the following traffic to pass, and b) whether the following traffic will pass whether there is enough oom or not. But your example shows the silliness of a road rule where you need to be giving way or not to traffic following you.

You're right - the rule is way past it's use by date, and imo the benefits of changing it outweigh the pain that such a change will cause.

love30stm Oct 31st 2009 11:39 pm

Could not agree more with you but people will still ignore the law like they do in the uk!

JasonSouthYorks Nov 1st 2009 12:19 am

Drivers of Kapiti beware.

I am on duty this afternoon and I WILL be issuing tickets if I see anybody using their phone while driving!!!!:D

Its a bit of a pet hate of mine.

Genesis Nov 1st 2009 1:44 am

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 8061000)
Drivers of Kapiti beware.

I am on duty this afternoon and I WILL be issuing tickets if I see anybody using their phone while driving!!!!:D

Its a bit of a pet hate of mine.

Good on you..slate them. And those without seat belts..especially kids.

And any tosser who accuses plod of revenue gathering should have thought about it before they flaunt the law. Driving is not a right it is one you earn and is a HUGE responsibility. Drink drivers, speeders, texters, those that don't stop at stop signs, phone users and the like are all raising the risk of death on the roads. Roads that our children use. Shame on them. Bad drivers..not our kids.

JasonSouthYorks Nov 1st 2009 7:23 pm

Spot on! You hit the nail on the head.

I agree with all that, especially kids with no seat belts on.