New Prime Minister v New Immigration strategy

Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:04 pm
its only me..!

bayst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Prime Minister v New Immigration strategy

Ok, so Helen Clark is out -

Is that good or bad as far as emigrating is concerned

What is the new prime ministers/parties views on immigration

Will it be good or bad, especially for us all who are in the process of applying

All views accepted, there is, hopefully, no right or wrong answer
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Prime Minister v New Immigration strategy

Look at the websites and draw your own conclusions:
ACT the coalition partner the National Government depends on for support:
http://www.act.org.nz/immigration-policy

National
http://www.national.org.nz/PolicyAreas.aspx?S=14

I don't see that it would change much as they are well aware that most British immigrants are likely to vote National, being disgruntled with UK. I do not include myself in that generalisation and I haven't emigrated anyway lol.
They both seem to have an emphasis on 'retaining and encouraging back' Kiwis though, by lowering the higher rates of taxes (39%)...there was a National Poster which said 'Wave goodbye to higher taxes not your relatives' which I suspect you would only ever see here, the OE (Overseas Experience) being such an ingrained concept.

Just spotted this one in National's policy document:
Focus on job creation and export earnings.
• Establish a Retirement Visa for high net-worth immigrants who indemnify New Zealand from all health, welfare, and superannuation costs.
So they want these individuals to come to NZ and pay taxes but are not prepared to give them the usual 'benefits' a taxpayer would get......at the moment you can't get here as a retired person at all ...

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 9th 2008 at 8:05 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Prime Minister v New Immigration strategy

I think the government will focus on securing employment for NZ workers over the next wee while - until the economy is sorted. Unemployment has been forecast to rise significantly next year. This may well mean a tightening on the number of new immigrants into the country - unless you' re a brain surgeon etc. Im sure Helens glad to be out of it !

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Nov 9th 2008 at 7:36 pm.