Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New poster waiting to move

New poster waiting to move

Old Mar 4th 2006, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough
Default New poster waiting to move

I am a new poster here just waiting to move to NZ Wellington area .Here is the lowdown on myself.
I am a HGV Technician ,to you that means I am a lorry mechanic but I challenge anyone to do my job on Scania trucks without some technical knowledge .I have just secured a job working on the said vehicles at a main dealer as a leading hand mechanic just outside of Wellington .I am in the process of doing the paperwork to get work permits and visas to become a resident so I can soon return and commence my employment with my new employers,
What I need to know is a few things on importing items such as my toolkit which I need to carry on my trade ,do I need to have it cleaned etc like a car you are importing or can I clean it myself .I am looking to rent a home at first around the Whitby or Upper Hutt area or even Porirua and need to buy a car also to get around as well as to work and back .I intend to have 2 cars as my wife will need to get a job and commute also.Any advice welcome .Thanks .
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:02 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New poster waiting to move

Originally Posted by cherry
I am a new poster here just waiting to move to NZ Wellington area .Here is the lowdown on myself.
I am a HGV Technician ,to you that means I am a lorry mechanic but I challenge anyone to do my job on Scania trucks without some technical knowledge .I have just secured a job working on the said vehicles at a main dealer as a leading hand mechanic just outside of Wellington .I am in the process of doing the paperwork to get work permits and visas to become a resident so I can soon return and commence my employment with my new employers,
What I need to know is a few things on importing items such as my toolkit which I need to carry on my trade ,do I need to have it cleaned etc like a car you are importing or can I clean it myself .I am looking to rent a home at first around the Whitby or Upper Hutt area or even Porirua and need to buy a car also to get around as well as to work and back .I intend to have 2 cars as my wife will need to get a job and commute also.Any advice welcome .Thanks .
Hi and welcome to the site. I live in Waikanae a bit further North than you're intending - but it is a lovely area - good choice.
Toolkit etc - yes you can import and yes it should be clean and free from rust, dirt etc. Rub down with an oily rag should do the job.
Loads of estate agents to rent from but I always recommend http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz/ to find a furnished bach - you can book online and negotiate the fee too for longer stays. Search the 'really useful thread' for more ideas.
Cars - once again loads of outlets - we used Right Cars in Paraparaumu and got two good runners for 10K and 13K respectively.

Good luck in your quest. When do you move out / start work?
Old Mar 4th 2006, 6:58 pm
livewire

Hi and welcome.

As Biddy said the Toolkit needs to be clean. Are you importing it along with your home contents or is it just coming over on its own? (I'm guessing that it may be a bit too heavy to be included in your baggage allowance)

It's just that you may have to pay duty on it if you don't have a work permit/residency when it arrives in the country.

Good luck with your move.

Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by livewire
Hi and welcome.

As Biddy said the Toolkit needs to be clean. Are you importing it along with your home contents or is it just coming over on its own? (I'm guessing that it may be a bit too heavy to be included in your baggage allowance)

It's just that you may have to pay duty on it if you don't have a work permit/residency when it arrives in the country.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks for your replies ,we are in waiting now with paperwork etc .I am also now thinking of importing my 3 yr old car to NZ a Toyota that has such a low mileage its is a shame not to bring it .Any clues as to how much and what to do as regards imports .?My toolkit will be solvent cleaned and sprayed with WD 40 to prevent rust and imported along with my home contents as it is too heavy .I have been quoted £600 air freight to get it there.I believe I need the car steam cleaned of all road dirt/mud and proof also .All this is new so once again any info is welcome .Thanks in advance .
Old Mar 8th 2006, 9:24 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

.I am also now thinking of importing my 3 yr old car to NZ a Toyota that has such a low mileage its is a shame not to bring it .
Low mileage or not, I can't see that bringing a 3 year old toyota into NZ is such a great idea (unless you really love that specific car). NZ is known for cheap japanese imports, and Toyotas are the post popular of these. There is a glut in caryards at the moment so some real bargains to be had.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by southerner
Low mileage or not, I can't see that bringing a 3 year old toyota into NZ is such a great idea (unless you really love that specific car). NZ is known for cheap japanese imports, and Toyotas are the post popular of these. There is a glut in caryards at the moment so some real bargains to be had.

Can I get another MR2 with 12000 miles for a cheaper price than importing it myself ,if so I will sell it here ,also yes I love that car .I looked at cars whilst there on holiday and a lot are old 96 model imports.I saw a 96 Honda crv at around $14000 ,that is not cheap in my book .I would only buy a toyota if I do buy there and prices are not so cheap by comparison to uk prices.

Just another question ,Will my Panasonic tv work there with no probs ,also I have a 21" lcd tv with dvd player built in ,will that work also ?.Thanks for any info .
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Just another question ,Will my Panasonic tv work there with no probs ,also I have a 21" lcd tv with dvd player built in ,will that work also ?.Thanks for any info .
HI Cherry
UK TV's don't easily work over here - we brought ours and linked it up to our UK DVD / video player for the kids but not to view broadcasted programmes
I believe there are ways - linking through NZ DVD's / Videos but I don't think it's very straight forward - something to do with the frequencies of transmission - if you search on this topic you'll find all the technical stuff or maybe someone else will be able to add this in for you.
Vicki