Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New Plymouth here we come.....

New Plymouth here we come.....

Old Oct 14th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light
Default New Plymouth here we come.....

Hi All,

After what seems like an endless hunt for jobs I have secured a job in south Taranaki and we have decided that we would like to live in New Plymouth, we fly out to NZ in 2 weeks time and I start work in 4 weeks!! Any one out there with any advice on nice areas etc. We will be renting - any recommendations on letting agents?
Any other adivce about the area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 14th 2009, 4:42 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice
Default Re: New Plymouth here we come.....

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris
Hi All,

After what seems like an endless hunt for jobs I have secured a job in south Taranaki and we have decided that we would like to live in New Plymouth, we fly out to NZ in 2 weeks time and I start work in 4 weeks!! Any one out there with any advice on nice areas etc. We will be renting - any recommendations on letting agents?

Thanks
Hi, we had a visit to New Plymouth this August and will be staying there for our first week in NZ! We have friends who live in between Moturoa and Lynmouth. It's nice here and close to the coast. I think Spotswood is supposed to be a little less desirable but I only know that because Spotswood school has a decile 4 (out of 10), lower decile schools have the highest proportion of students from low socio-economic communities. The other Taranaki schools have deciles of 7 & 8. We had a great time in New Plymouth and the sun shone the whole time. We saw Mount Taranaki in full view with no clouds and had a lovely lunch at one of the wineries just out of town. I think you'll love it!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Hi All,

Thanks
Where abouts in South Taranaki are the jobs located? New Plymouth is a good centre and there are a number of nice areas around. I work from New Plymouth around three times a month and know the area pretty well.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by garfield250
Where abouts in South Taranaki are the jobs located? New Plymouth is a good centre and there are a number of nice areas around. I work from New Plymouth around three times a month and know the area pretty well.
Hi Garfield250 my job is in Manaia - but it looks like a small town and we would prefer to live in a bigger town even though this is going to mean a long commute for me! OH doesnt have a job yet but we are sure he will find something in New Plymouth!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

Hi,

New Plymouth will be the best choice, most areas are ok, I can make a few enquiries and give you an idea of areas to try and avoid if you like, there may be some NP residents on here who will give you an idea as well.
Old Oct 14th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garfield250
Hi,

New Plymouth will be the best choice, most areas are ok, I can make a few enquiries and give you an idea of areas to try and avoid if you like, there may be some NP residents on here who will give you an idea as well.
That would be great thank you!
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:09 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

hi ....well done you two!! you said you were going before Christmas and you're well within your time frame!!!

Good luck with your job and for everything in NZ!!
B x
Old Oct 14th 2009, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MnB
hi ....well done you two!! you said you were going before Christmas and you're well within your time frame!!!

Good luck with your job and for everything in NZ!!
B x
Thank you! Just had the removal guys in today and we fly out to Auckland on the 26th Oct so it has come around really quickly! How are things with you?

J
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:04 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Just had the removal guys in today and we fly out to Auckland on the 26th Oct so it has come around really quickly! How are things with you?

J
Waiting for written confirmation of AIP for spouse visa (had a phone call from C/O who said no probs and was good to go!!), flights booked for 30th Jan.

Delayed a bit by house sale in August and now renovating house for son to 'house sit' for us...... we should have a 'home' here by xmas and a month to get our act together!!!.....thats the plan anyway

26th October!!! ....not long for you now, time has gone so quick but bet you can't wait!!

B x
Old Oct 14th 2009, 9:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Congrats on the job Jo-Chris. NZ in time for Christmas then.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 3:45 am
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

You do realise that Manaia is 84km from New Plymouth and takes around 1hour 20 minutes to travel one way?

I would suggest keeping your options for accomodation to the South Taranaki area like Hawera, Opunake, Eltham, Stratford etc, Not trying to put you off but SH3 is not the best or safest of roads to travel daily after a long day at work in bad weather especially on a long quite drive.
Old Oct 15th 2009, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Mary Lamb will become famous soon enough

Agreed. It's definitely a bit of a hike. Do you have children? Can give you a bit of inside info on schools in NP if so as that may determine the area you choose to live in. Some schools here are zoned.

Congrats on the job!!
Old Oct 15th 2009, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of

Hey Congratulations on the job i have a friend who is a nurse at NP hospital, we've been here in NP for nearly a year now and love it, we live in Vogeltown which is nice we can walk tot he park and into town (and crawl home from the pub) in a little over 10 mins our children go to the local school and they love it.
I would suggest having a look on trade me and harcourts, professionals and other rental agencys in the area to give you some indication as to what you want and how much you pay for it!!!!!

If you fancy meeting up for a once you've arrived let us know

Andrea x

[QUOTE=Jo-Chris;8015965]Hi All,
Hi All,

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=aalls73;8018102]Hey Congratulations on the job i have a friend who is a nurse at NP hospital, we've been here in NP for nearly a year now and love it, we live in Vogeltown which is nice we can walk tot he park and into town (and crawl home from the pub) in a little over 10 mins our children go to the local school and they love it.
I would suggest having a look on trade me and harcourts, professionals and other rental agencys in the area to give you some indication as to what you want and how much you pay for it!!!!!

If you fancy meeting up for a once you've arrived let us know

Andrea x

Hi All,
Hi,

Thanks for all your messages. I know its going to be a long drive but at least the traffic will be moving it can take me up to 30 mins to drive 5 miles where we live at the moment in rush hour! No we dont have any children we are both in our late 20's so would like to live in an area with a bit of a social life!! Meeting up for a would be great!
Jx
Old Oct 15th 2009, 2:48 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

J
Hey, how were the removal guys? We've got Crown coming in on 26th Nov. Any preparation advice?

Maybe you could rent first in New Plymouth? This way you can test out that communte without the ties of a mortgage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.