Reload this Page >

New in Palmerston North

New in Palmerston North

Old Dec 27th 2009, 5:30 am
Just Joined

yick pie eater is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New in Palmerston North

Hi there,

I have been in Palmerston North for around six weeks now and have landed a job with Sport Manawatu. I am lodging with a friend at present in the Kelvin Grove area along with my girlfriend. I have been to NZ twice before when travelling and on holiday. I am a lecturer back in the UK and we both wanted a career break from college in Manchester. We have explored PN over the last few weeks and some of the neighbouring towns too. At present we are looking for a job for my gf, a place to rent and probably a vehicle further down the line. We are here on a 2yr work travel visa, so we are treading carefully with reagrds to the move as my gf is still finding here feet and we are unsure whether we will settle at present..?

On a personal note we are both into Rugby League, Football and play indoor Netball at present!!

If anyone has any advice on renting, cars, Palmy or anything of interest please get in touch.

Festive Wishes,

Yick Pie Eater
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:39 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New in Palmerston North

HI and a warm festive welcome to BE's NZ forum.

Genesis is our resident Palmy expert - he'll hopefully be along later and see your thread.

Enjoy your Kiwi New Year.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Calcanat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi from another forum newbie

We are hoping to move out to Palmerston North if we get our PR. I loved the place when I visited earlier this year. Congratulations on the job and very best wishes for a fanstastic new year.

Let us know about your experiences of Palmy- we would love to hear about how you get on there.

-Cal
Old Dec 30th 2009, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
HI and a warm festive welcome to BE's NZ forum.

Genesis is our resident Palmy expert - he'll hopefully be along later and see your thread.

Enjoy your Kiwi New Year.
Cheers mate
Old Dec 30th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yick pie eater
Hi there,

I have been in Palmerston North for around six weeks now and have landed a job with Sport Manawatu. I am lodging with a friend at present in the Kelvin Grove area along with my girlfriend. I have been to NZ twice before when travelling and on holiday. I am a lecturer back in the UK and we both wanted a career break from college in Manchester. We have explored PN over the last few weeks and some of the neighbouring towns too. At present we are looking for a job for my gf, a place to rent and probably a vehicle further down the line. We are here on a 2yr work travel visa, so we are treading carefully with reagrds to the move as my gf is still finding here feet and we are unsure whether we will settle at present..?

On a personal note we are both into Rugby League, Football and play indoor Netball at present!!

If anyone has any advice on renting, cars, Palmy or anything of interest please get in touch.

Festive Wishes,

Yick Pie Eater
Hi, been here 5 yrs now. Cars to be gotten cheap at Turners Auctions. My mate is the manager at Property Brokers rental dept. His name is Dave. They are a very good agent for rental. I have a friend with ahouse to rent but it is very big..I guess you just need a 2 bedder? There is much to do in palmy and the environs..PM me and I will give you my details and you can come over for a coffee if you like. Let me know. We love it here..always soooooooooo much stuff to do. Kind regards, Dom.

Have you been to the Rugby museum in Palmy yet?
Old Dec 30th 2009, 5:38 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, been here 5 yrs now. Cars to be gotten cheap at Turners Auctions. My mate is the manager at Property Brokers rental dept. His name is Dave. They are a very good agent for rental. I have a friend with ahouse to rent but it is very big..I guess you just need a 2 bedder? There is much to do in palmy and the environs..PM me and I will give you my details and you can come over for a coffee if you like. Let me know. We love it here..always soooooooooo much stuff to do. Kind regards, Dom.

Thanks Dom, Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31st 2009, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Thanks Dom, Happy New Year!
To you and all your kin as well. Best wishes for 2010. Hope your business goes well. Warm regards from me and my lot XX
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:35 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: New in Palmerston North

Originally Posted by Genesis

Genesis,

Cheers for the info. Havent been to the Rugby museum yet, passed it in 2008 as well and never had a nosey there. As I said travel i an issue at the minute, we lend our friends car from time to time and use the buses which are reliable and cheap but dont run as long as we would like. They finish at 6pm in the week and 3pm on a weekend, work that out? maybe its a council thing with taxis wanting a slice of the action. I will look your mate up in the new year when i get back to work, my partner is still looking for work but im sure its around the corner. Once were sorted with that we will look at renting a place and a car. We probably look for a two or three bed, we are in Kelvin grove at the minute staying with a friend. We know were a lot of stuff is now and have met quite a few ex-pats, was out at Stoney Creek last night with a scots friend of a friend for new years plus our landlord has all his family here.

Will PM you.

Yick Pie Eater
Old Dec 31st 2009, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Calcanat
Hi from another forum newbie

We are hoping to move out to Palmerston North if we get our PR. I loved the place when I visited earlier this year. Congratulations on the job and very best wishes for a fanstastic new year.

Let us know about your experiences of Palmy- we would love to hear about how you get on there.

-Cal
Hi,

We visited here in 2008 and have friends here so decided to have a career break and give it a go. Its a nice place although it gets a bit of a bagging sometimes, its like a large town to people from the UK not a city, has everything you need, the mrs thinks the shops are not as good as the UK i would have to agree. We are still finding our feet as we flew out at the end of October, it makes a differenceif you find a job as it gives you some structure and an opportunity to meet people, make contacts etc. My partner has been a bit fed up sitting at home, she has signed up with several agencies and had an interview so waiting to hear from that.She got offered a job at a party last night but it was out of town and packing meat in a factory!! seeing she is a teacher not best suited and i dont blame her tbh.

Regards,

Yick Pie Eater