Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New to NZ forum- a few questions...

New to NZ forum- a few questions...

Old Jul 7th 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default New to NZ forum- a few questions...

Hello kiwis
(We have been looking at Oz for 3 yrs so you might know my user name from Oz forum)
It's liking banging head against brickwall trying to get into OZ- I've got a headache!!
We are now looking at NZ and I'm in th early stages of seeing what we have to do to get to NZ. I just went on to the NZ website and seems hubbys degree in electronic engineering could get us there. (problem with OZ was that we are over 45 - NZ don't appear to be so ageist!)
We have had several holidays in NZ and our son spent his gap yr (2005) helping at a school in Dunedin and loved NZ!

ok here are a few questions:
Is the skilled visa a 'PR' visa?
Am I right to think we have to live in NZ 5 yrs before applying for citizenship?
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of how they emigrated- with /without a job offer.
Did you use an agent?
How long do applications take to go through ?
How long do you have to validate visa?
Our daughter is taking A2 levels this yr, would she be able to get into college/uni study if she came with us and what would the cost be?
I know there're fewer NZ members here to reply but I look forward to hearing your experiences
Helinuk
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New to NZ forum- a few questions...

Hi

We are in the early stages of the process and it is a frustrating one! I can answer some of your questions:

Is the skilled visa a 'PR' visa? - Yes

Am I right to think we have to live in NZ 5 yrs before applying for citizenship? - I think this is right, yes, although someone else may be able to say for sure?

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of how they emigrated- with /without a job offer. - We are trying at the mo' without a job offer - watch this space!

Did you use an agent? - No - some people say that they are a waste of money and that you can get alot of the info you need from sites like this one. Maybe someone who had used one could post?

How long do applications take to go through ? - Varyng amounts of time, some seem to be quicker than others (not much help there sorry). Alot depends on the area you work in I think. Nurses, Teachers and IT peeps (especially IT) seem to get on quicker.

How long do you have to validate visa? I think this is 12 months, but again, someone else may know this for sure?

Our daughter is taking A2 levels this yr, would she be able to get into college/uni study if she came with us and what would the cost be? - Not sure on this one, don't see why not though.

Our 'kids' are on the older side too - 20 and 18, they are both working, albeit still fully dependant on us! Are yours both as keen? Mine are at present and I am hoping they will continue to be, as I am not sure how I would feel living on the other side of the world to them :scared:

Good luck with it all.

Michele
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shell2006
Hi

We are in the early stages of the process and it is a frustrating one! I can answer some of your questions:

We are trying at the mo' without a job offer - watch this space!
Our 'kids' are on the older side too - 20 and 18, they are both working, albeit still fully dependant on us! Are yours both as keen? Mine are at present and I am hoping they will continue to be, as I am not sure how I would feel living on the other side of the world to them :scared:

Good luck with it all.

Michele
Hi Michelle
thanks for your quick reply.
Where are you hoping to move to?

Our 'children' are 17 and 20 -the older one is at uni in Sheffield, he loved NZ on his gap yr and we got used to not having him around for that year- he's back home now for the summer and working to help pay the student loan off! We lived in Singapore for 6 yrs when they were younger and we've all found it hard adjusting back to uk life, we've all got the travel bug! We'd find it hard being thousands of miles apart, but email and phones would help. Even if hubby and I didn't move away from uk I know that both children will leave uk as soon as they finish uni and can travel/work abroad!They have given us their support in all our research so far.

helinuk
Old Jul 7th 2006, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Shell2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

Has your Son finished Uni now? My daughter tried the Uni thing but it didn't work out for her and she is now working in London, earning a crust. She has accumulated a student loan - just a years worth. Son works locally. Hubbie and I have talked about the fact that it may be that the kids will end up doing their own thing one day and its just about 'us' really now (in a way), but I really hope that they settle. Daughter really wants to travel, so this is the ideal way for her to do it with us paying

We are heading (all being well) to the Kapiti Coast. I lived there when I was a teenager and me and the OH have just recently been for a holiday (April) and loved it. Stayed with an old school friend, who lives by the sea there. Where you headed to?

Michele
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hello kiwis
(We have been looking at Oz for 3 yrs so you might know my user name from Oz forum)
It's liking banging head against brickwall trying to get into OZ- I've got a headache!!
We are now looking at NZ and I'm in th early stages of seeing what we have to do to get to NZ. I just went on to the NZ website and seems hubbys degree in electronic engineering could get us there. (problem with OZ was that we are over 45 - NZ don't appear to be so ageist!)
We have had several holidays in NZ and our son spent his gap yr (2005) helping at a school in Dunedin and loved NZ!

ok here are a few questions:
Am I right to think we have to live in NZ 5 yrs before applying for citizenship?
I'm hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of how they emigrated- with /without a job offer.
Did you use an agent?
Our daughter is taking A2 levels this yr, would she be able to get into college/uni study if she came with us and what would the cost be?
I know there're fewer NZ members here to reply but I look forward to hearing your experiences
Helinuk
Hi, we came over using the Skilled Migrant category with job offer.... been here 13 months now.

No, we didnt use an agent, they wanted £3k and we did it all online easily enough.

In all, the whole move thing took us 6 months from start to finish. OH was offered the job (same company that he worked for in UK) in the December and in the following June we were here. After we filled in the ITA they approved us after just 2 days.... very quick. They got it on the tuesday morning (special delivery) and rang us up on the thursday saying .... go book your flights.

Good luck with your move. We have been renting but now in the process of selling a house in the UK and buying one over here... we aim to stay here.

SarahB
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahB
Hi, we came over using the Skilled Migrant category with job offer.... been here 13 months now.

No, we didnt use an agent, they wanted £3k and we did it all online easily enough.

In all, the whole move thing took us 6 months from start to finish. OH was offered the job (same company that he worked for in UK) in the December and in the following June we were here. After we filled in the ITA they approved us after just 2 days.... very quick. They got it on the tuesday morning (special delivery) and rang us up on the thursday saying .... go book your flights.

Good luck with your move. We have been renting but now in the process of selling a house in the UK and buying one over here... we aim to stay here.

SarahB
Michelle - I'll have to look up that area on the map- I can feel a reccie coming on!

Sarah
thanks for the info on your move to nz. Now I know who to PM if I need any more info on NZ!

Can anyone tell me:
If we apply for a visa without a job offer does hubby have to prove that he will get a job in the specified area of his electronics degree or would we be free to apply for any work that's available?
helinuk
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Sophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant futureSophie_Wellington has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by helinuk
Michelle - I'll have to look up that area on the map- I can feel a reccie coming on!

Sarah
thanks for the info on your move to nz. Now I know who to PM if I need any more info on NZ!

Can anyone tell me:
If we apply for a visa without a job offer does hubby have to prove that he will get a job in the specified area of his electronics degree or would we be free to apply for any work that's available?
helinuk
Hi Helin,

I just thought I would also tell you that you can call the London office of NZIS for the definitive answers on things, and I'd recommend doing it online and on your own, agents are a rip off!

Also, you can pop down once you've put your application together to their offices in London and they'll go through it / check it with you before you submit It sounds like you're referring to the Skilled Migrant visa for permanent residence (then you get citizenship after 5 years). There's also a 'points checker' on the NZIS website which will tell you if you qualify for the right points - you will out your qualifications and experience and it works it out for you. Then if you pass you can submit your EOI. Just make sure you can PROVE everything you're saying they check qualifications and work experience with a fine tooth comb. Also order one of their application packs in the post as it gives you a guide for filling everything in (easier to follow advice guides on paper than online).

Agents are relying on people getting confused, but NZIS will talk you through it. Their number is on the NZIS website, find the 'contact us' button and then look for their international branches, which lists London address and phone number. It's £1 a minute so be prepared for a hefty phone bill but if you're anywhere near London pop in. We travelled down and combined it with a weekend break, my advice is get there very early - 8.30am, then you'll miss the queues. They were really helpful.

Best of luck with it all, we did ours online was really easy in the end, and not as complicated as immigration consultants make out to justify their rip-off fees.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

yes, and if you've got PR then you are free to work or not, in any field of your choice.
yes, used to be 3 now 5
we applied back in Dec04, before the more recent changes, our skills were on the long term shortages list so we had enough points without job offer and kept it that way to give us complete freedom as to where we emigrated to and what we did with our days
Did you use an agent?
no - there really is no need and its expensive enough anyway
varies - we submitted EOI Dec 04, received ITA end Jan 05, submitted ITA Mar 05, approval in principle May 05, arrived Oct 05
you have 6 months from approval to get the stamps in your passports, then 12 months to enter the country to validate your visa. That then gives you a returning residents visa valid for 2 years in which time you could go back to the UK sort out whatever and then emigrate - so you'd have up to 18mths to enter the country and then up to 2 yrs to emigrate fully
Can't help with the rest, but anything else just shout.
Vicki
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sophie_Wellington
Hi Helin,

I just thought I would also tell you that you can call the London office of NZIS for the definitive answers on things, and I'd recommend doing it online and on your own, agents are a rip off!

Also, you can pop down once you've put your application together to their offices in London and they'll go through it / check it with you before you submit It sounds like you're referring to the Skilled Migrant visa for permanent residence (then you get citizenship after 5 years). There's also a 'points checker' on the NZIS website which will tell you if you qualify for the right points - you will out your qualifications and experience and it works it out for you. Then if you pass you can submit your EOI. Just make sure you can PROVE everything you're saying they check qualifications and work experience with a fine tooth comb. Also order one of their application packs in the post as it gives you a guide for filling everything in (easier to follow advice guides on paper than online).

Agents are relying on people getting confused, but NZIS will talk you through it. Their number is on the NZIS website, find the 'contact us' button and then look for their international branches, which lists London address and phone number. It's £1 a minute so be prepared for a hefty phone bill but if you're anywhere near London pop in. We travelled down and combined it with a weekend break, my advice is get there very early - 8.30am, then you'll miss the queues. They were really helpful.

Best of luck with it all, we did ours online was really easy in the end, and not as complicated as immigration consultants make out to justify their rip-off fees.
Sophie
thank you for all your advice! I have also found your thread with the word doc. it's great! I went to the London site too so thanks for that tip
I want to sit hubby at the pc. and start applying today!
Helen
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vicki
great advice, thanks for reply
Helen