Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New NZ Corrections transferee's

New NZ Corrections transferee's

Old Dec 12th 2016, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New NZ Corrections transferee's

Originally Posted by JaneRiley
I'm surprised and saddened they ignored your query. Get online and apply when you see a vacancy! Good luck.
Me too. Smacks mildly of ignorance IMO. Thank you for your kind words.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I've known one or two ex plod who have come into corrections, and they have stood out
like sore thumbs and struggled.

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 13th 2016 at 9:31 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
TBH I've known one or two ex plod who have come into corrections, and they have stood out
like sore thumbs and struggled.
Does not surprise me. Thank the lord I have the good sense to realise this. Plod is a very mobile job, out and about, prison officer is quite the opposite by its very nature.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

That's not neccetcarilly the case, it depends on your role. Working in a unit can be full on so you concentrate on the job you're doing, rather than whether you are doing it inside or out

Last edited by Justcol; Dec 14th 2016 at 3:23 am.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

Yeah it isnt just locking people up. I manage caseloads at the moment for case confrences and work mainly with prisoners who present with mental health illnesses. Pretty busy and always on the go.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

romey is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it's been a while since anybody posted on this thread, but hoping someone reads this and can help. I'm due to fly over to New Zealand for assessments and interview in Hamilton around the 26/27 April. Was hoping people could give me some advice about what to expect also I'm due to stay in Hamilton for 5 nights so want to make best use of my time so would it be a good idea to visit estate agents and schools for my kids. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 12th 2017, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Also if successful what Visas are people applying for. From reading this and other threads the skilled migrant visa doesn't seem to be a option that most people can go for anymore
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Sect172 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by romey
Also if successful what Visas are people applying for. From reading this and other threads the skilled migrant visa doesn't seem to be a option that most people can go for anymore
You need to apply for an essential skills work visa as Dept of Corrections has approval in principle to recruit from overseas. The assessment over here was a half day series of exercises and interview. Just be yourself and you'll be fine.

I have just got over here for a 24 April start at Whanganui - went to visit the prison today and got a great welcome which has settled any pre start nerves!
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick reply sect172. Did you have to fly over to do the assessments or did u do them when they came over last year. I know it's a bit of risk for me flying over there, but got to try.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Sect172 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by romey
Thanks for the quick reply sect172. Did you have to fly over to do the assessments or did u do them when they came over last year. I know it's a bit of risk for me flying over there, but got to try.
I did my assessment centre in the UK last year - I could have done them here as my kids already live here, but it worked out that the UK worked better for me.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately I missed the UK assessments dates so this was my only choice. I had to do some online tests and passed them and now got the call to come over. Fingers crossed it goes well.
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

romey - most schools will be closed as its Easter Holiday here at that time, most should be back on 1st May
Old Apr 12th 2017, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Good point MrsFychan, oh well will have to cross that bridge nearer the time then.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Can someone advise me about what criminal records check corrections require as I've been asked to complete one and how do I go about getting one. Also what does the fitness test involve as I'll be completing one whilst over there. Thanks in advance
Old Apr 18th 2017, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Pigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud ofPigdog has much to be proud of

DofC should have sent you a link / form for the criminal records check in NZ. The fitness test is a mixture of ...... short run, low hurdle, balance beam (floor board on the floor!!!), lock and unlock padlocks, drag a 90kg (I think) dummy, get under a hurdle.

When are you over and which jail ?

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.