Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New NZ Corrections transferee's

New NZ Corrections transferee's

Old Oct 19th 2016, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all
Default Re: New NZ Corrections transferee's

Originally Posted by dmh9282
Email through this morning offering start dates. Options are Jan 16th, Feb 13th and Mar 13th. Needless to say I'be chosen the March start. Still don't know where I'm going to be posted. I'm reluctant to set the wheels in motion until I know where I'm going. Wife and 3 kids to consider too.

I got the same. I wont be able to come over till later in the year. It does say in the email if i need a later date please ignore this email. Im pretty sure my chosen establishment is Mount Eden.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I think we get the job offer through soon. It should tell you which your chosen establishment is? Which area did you choose?
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:07 am
Just Joined

Willo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really nice

Hi Jay30, I had my assessments in Edinburgh on Monday and found out Tuesday night that I also passed. I'm waiting to find out what areas are available as I'm not committing to anything unless I'm provided with full details.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Willo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really niceWillo1892 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shirrom
I think we get the job offer through soon. It should tell you which your chosen establishment is? Which area did you choose?
I've not chosen anywhere yet, I'm hoping that they give you a list when they send you out a formal offer....
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Email through this morning offering start dates. Options are Jan 16th, Feb 13th and Mar 13th. Needless to say I'be chosen the March start. Still don't know where I'm going to be posted. I'm reluctant to set the wheels in motion until I know where I'm going. Wife and 3 kids to consider too.
I'm in exactly the same position mate, wife and kids to consider. I'll end up bombarding them with questions.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Jay30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you got a preference? I will be requesting Auckland
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Just a heads up to all the guys and gals who are looking at Auckland prisons
please look very closely at the house prices in Auckland and what you will be able to afford
Look on trademe and realestate nz, you will see hardly any listings have a price, they let the market decide, and the market is very very high. Average Aux house price is 1 million dollars for an ok house in an ok area. not a great area, just an ok area. If you want Auckland that's fine but look at other places as well. Northland/Waikato/ Hastings, Napier/ wellington - hutt valley-kapati coast/ Christchurch-Canterbury/ Otago are all good places to live and offer a huge variety of lifestyles.
If this move doesn't work out, it will cost you 1000's of pounds to get you and your family home again. not to mention the massive disruption for jobs or schools for kids. I would stress to everyone, think VERY carefully about this, NZ isn't for everyone, it is NOT like Britain, we just speak the same language. Take off the rose tinted glasses, do your research and then make your decision.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Just a heads up to all the guys and gals who are looking at Auckland prisons
please look very closely at the house prices in Auckland and what you will be able to afford
Look on trademe and realestate nz, you will see hardly any listings have a price, they let the market decide, and the market is very very high. Average Aux house price is 1 million dollars for an ok house in an ok area. not a great area, just an ok area. If you want Auckland that's fine but look at other places as well. Northland/Waikato/ Hastings, Napier/ wellington - hutt valley-kapati coast/ Christchurch-Canterbury/ Otago are all good places to live and offer a huge variety of lifestyles.
If this move doesn't work out, it will cost you 1000's of pounds to get you and your family home again. not to mention the massive disruption for jobs or schools for kids. I would stress to everyone, think VERY carefully about this, NZ isn't for everyone, it is NOT like Britain, we just speak the same language. Take off the rose tinted glasses, do your research and then make your decision.
I agree with all of this.
The only thing I could add would be ... you'll get the same sh!t here as at home ... just better scenery!

Last edited by Robbie2010; Oct 22nd 2016 at 10:25 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2016, 11:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I do find it astonishing that they got rid of loads of prison officers last year and now recruiting from overseas.

Ex Police officer I know tried it for a year and hated it most of the time, now works on the docks.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I do find it astonishing that they got rid of loads of prison officers last year and now recruiting from overseas.

Ex Police officer I know tried it for a year and hated it most of the time, now works on the docks.
Our dear Judith thinks thinks that they'll all come flocking back! ... don't think so!
I stuck it for a couple of years and that was more than enough ... prisoners weren't a problem but management? Let's just say sh!t flows downhill.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. I am ex plod and thinking of Corrections. I appreciate it could NOT be more different than police work and I have my reservations. Could you possibly expand on why he/she hated it please? It would be really helpful to try to find out if the job is just locking folk up and ensuring security and pretty much just a security guard or is it as they portray, more a very hands on job dedicated to reducing reoffending and NOT just a job where just security and just safety are what the job is all about. I understand the latter are very important but I want to be able to make a difference aswell and not just ensure people are safe and don't escape eh?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 7:43 am
Just Joined

banzaibilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have requested Whanganui.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

IrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond reputeIrishDigger has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: New NZ Corrections transferee's

Best wishes,

Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:09 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi there. I am ex plod and thinking of Corrections. I appreciate it could NOT be more different than police work and I have my reservations. Could you possibly expand on why he/she hated it please? It would be really helpful to try to find out if the job is just locking folk up and ensuring security and pretty much just a security guard or is it as they portray, more a very hands on job dedicated to reducing reoffending and NOT just a job where just security and just safety are what the job is all about. I understand the latter are very important but I want to be able to make a difference aswell and not just ensure people are safe and don't escape eh?
I do need to clarify that he was not the principal applicant on the visa so he was able to do any job he wanted. He was also Police on the River Thames so used to being active.
He found the job boring to be quite honest and shift patterns a bloody joke. He said there was only so many films you could watch on a night shift. Day shift was about moving prisoners around and making sure they didn't mix with opposing gangs and trying to prevent fights. Its just keeping them in line.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

I do need to clarify that he was not the principal applicant on the visa so he was able to do any job he wanted. He was also Police on the River Thames so used to being active.
He found the job boring to be quite honest and shift patterns a bloody joke. He said there was only so many films you could watch on a night shift. Day shift was about moving prisoners around and making sure they didn't mix with opposing gangs and trying to prevent fights. Its just keeping them in line.

The adverts on TV make it out to be very varied, interactive and very rewarding. I can see why a person who had a job that gave them a lot of freedom and access to the open air would find working within a prison restrictive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.