new to NZ

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:27 am
Just Joined

jolo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to NZ

Hi we arrived in December 2008, husband and 2 adult kids,we are living in Albany, and have all settled into jobs, now looking to join in the community. we have come to NZ from York UK. anyone got any tips on settling into life in NZ?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to NZ

Welcome to BE & NZ jolo. Pleased to hear you're settling in. We have made friends through this website, heading down to our local for quiz night & getting involved as volunteers at Centrestage theatre in Orewa (as well as through work). I've also joined a local gym & made friends through that.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 6:32 am
Just Joined

MissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant futureMissSunshine has a brilliant future

Hi Jolo, Welcome to NZ - hope you are enjoying it.

We arrived 1 January 2009 we being myself, partner and 2 children of 9 and 12. My partner and children seem to have settled in better than me as children seem to have sofew inhibitions. My partner works so mixes with people there. I must admit I have been unable to find work at the moment and find live can be quite lonely and at times I find people are happy to chat for a few minutes when picking one of the children up but that is about it. I have also joined a gym and say hello to a few people there but that is about it - it is quite hard starting over again building up a circle of friends.

I'm not sure this of any help, not sure if you are feeling something along these lines or not. I guess it takes time.

All the best in settling in.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:07 am
Just Joined

MissusMo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello jolo - good luck settling in; I'm sure it will get easier with time.
I have found people here very open and friendly, and I think settling into a new country is much like settling into anywhere new. Once you find places, clubs, gyms, walking groups, the library, mothers' groups etc. that interest you, you will start to make new friends.

Mo
Old Apr 28th 2009, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

helenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to allhelenlhoppy is a name known to all

Good luck Jolo!