Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New and Need Advice

New and Need Advice

Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

dlparry is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile New and Need Advice

Hi, I am 30 yrs old, hubby is 36 and we have a 5yr old boy who has digeorge syndrom (it only affects his learning - very slightly delayed, his speech is a little delay and his immune system is not 100% but not far off.).

I am a legal secretary and my husband is a HGV driver (and used to be a PSV driver). We are looking to emigrate to NZ in the next year or so and have began researching. There is so much information I dont know where to look. I have decided to look at best locations, somewhere in the North Island because I believe there is a big children's hospital in Auckland. I wonder if anyone can answer any of my questions please...

1. Where would the best area be to live taking into account hubby's job (i am looking for part time work doing anything) - I dont want to live in a big city and preferably close to a beach if at all possible, low crime and good schools would also be an issue
2.How good is the special needs help in schools?
3. Healthcare system - what is free and what is not?
4. House Prices - looking for a three bed property and will have around £60,000 to put down on a house, looking at spending no more than £100,000 if at all possible! will consider large 2 beds though

thank you for any help you can give me
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New and Need Advice

I think even in the current market you are gonna need to spend more than 100 grand on a house anywhere in reach of Auckland.

Starship hospital in Auckland is well regarded I think.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks.

I am not too bothered about being too close to Auckland as long as I can get there by car or train in a couple of hours or so as we'll be only going to the hospital five or six times a year at the most and can make a break away out of it.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice

visit www.bayleys.co.nz this will give you a idea of house prices in all areas, The 100 Gs is I guess what you want to buy a house outright with, add another 200 grand to your 100. unless you want to live in a garden shed.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Transient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really nice

Originally Posted by wilki
visit www.bayleys.co.nz this will give you a idea of house prices in all areas, The 100 Gs is I guess what you want to buy a house outright with, add another 200 grand to your 100. unless you want to live in a garden shed.
Are you saying that you can't buy a non-shed house within a couple of hours of Auckland for less than 750,000 NZD? Or are you confusing the OPs GBP figure with NZD?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

I am hoping to buy a hour for about £100,000 which is about £237,000 nzd in the current exchange rate please tell me i will be able to buy something even if it is a two bedroomed house.

any other advice out there regarding my other questions as well?

Think I am looking to live in Hawkes Bay, probably Hastings I think.

How long does it take to cross the Island from one side to the other? top to bottom?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:28 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dlparry
I am hoping to buy a hour for about £100,000 which is about £237,000 nzd in the current exchange rate please tell me i will be able to buy something even if it is a two bedroomed house.

any other advice out there regarding my other questions as well?

Think I am looking to live in Hawkes Bay, probably Hastings I think.

How long does it take to cross the Island from one side to the other? top to bottom?
You should be fine in the Hastings area for that kind of money - have a look on www.trademe.co.nz and also www.realestate.co.nz

I would also suggest you look at Tauranga - although you may struggle for a house as it is unfortunately one of the least affordable areas to live in comparison to wages - but you could try just outside of the city and beach areas and look for semi-rural.

It took me 4 hours from Hastings to Tauranga, so I would guess it'd be a good 5 hours to Auckland.

Last edited by Am Loolah; Mar 2nd 2009 at 6:29 am. Reason: In rush for start of Desperate Housewives - sorry!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Suggest you take a look at the NZ Auto Association website. They have a very good travel time calculator.

http://www.aa.co.nz/Pages/default.aspx
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 11:39 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. Have a look at Glenfield on the North Shore. It's a nice area with decent schools and about 20 mins off peak to Starship. You might even get a two bedroom house for under $300k (the street probably won't be so nice) but if you can stretch towards $350-$400k you can get a very nice property.