Reload this Page >

New Mobile Phone...

New Mobile Phone...

Old Mar 26th 2018, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

dantruman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Mobile Phone...

Hi All,

So moving out to NZ on the 16th April and I am due a new phone as my iPhone 5S is about to give in.

I'm assuming I won't be able to get a contract phone in NZ as we only have a working holiday Visa for now.

Question is do I...

- Buy a new phone in the UK and get a NZ sim when we arrive

- Get a phone and Sim in NZ when we arrive.

Probably looking at an iPhone 6S or newer.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Mobile Phone...

I don't think I was asked anything about my visa status when I moved over from Pay As You Go to Pay Monthly so with that said I'd guess if you want to go on to a contract in NZ there wouldn't be much issue.

If you intend to stay in NZ I'd go for an NZ phone with an NZ SIM. We initially bought NZ SIM cards before we arrived and had them posted out to us in the UK so we already had the phone number to give friends and family. We registered the SIM's in our phones as soon as they arrived to register them (whilst international roaming). We brought over UK sourced iPhone 4's and it was a bit of a pain in the arse getting them unlocked to all networks and changing the settings once we were here so clock change and all that malarkey worked.
You can of course do it either way but getting an NZ phone with NZ SIM will surely be easier, however it may be much cheaper getting a phone in the UK. They're pretty expensive here.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 3:15 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

As escape said, just get one when you get here, so much less hassle
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

If the purchase price is a lot lower in uk get an unlocked one there and get a NZ sim and an NZ contract on arrival. Careful to check out reception where you intend to live/operate eg I get good Vodafone reception, but crap Spark reception.