British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New member - Hello all xx (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-member-hello-all-xx-400154/)

UKNZAUS Oct 3rd 2006 6:47 pm

New member - Hello all xx

:D

Hi everyone

I'm Michelle, married to Carl with 3 kids and just about to apply for the Work to Residence visa (hoorah!!) My hubby is a Product Manager so we're hunting down every IT firm in NZ and begging for jobs lol even going to an expo in a couple of weeks to try our luck there.

I have 2 questions if anyone can answer them - I tried a few migration agents but they don't give answers unless you're hiring them !!

1) I have a school-age child and can't find anywhere that will tell me if I have to pay for his education or he will get it for free as we'll be on a 30 month Work permit!
2) Healthcare - do I have to buy private insurance or would we be classed like everyone else and have to pay for what we use ??

Will be full of questions before too long no doubt so I'll apologise in advance for bashing ears hehe.

Thankyou all in advance, and hope to be meeting you all very soon xx

Michelle & Carl

kwprwn Oct 3rd 2006 7:07 pm

Re: New member - Hello all xx

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl

Hi everyone

I'm Michelle, married to Carl with 3 kids and just about to apply for the Work to Residence visa (hoorah!!) My hubby is a Product Manager so we're hunting down every IT firm in NZ and begging for jobs lol even going to an expo in a couple of weeks to try our luck there.

I have 2 questions if anyone can answer them - I tried a few migration agents but they don't give answers unless you're hiring them !!

1) I have a school-age child and can't find anywhere that will tell me if I have to pay for his education or he will get it for free as we'll be on a 30 month Work permit!
2) Healthcare - do I have to buy private insurance or would we be classed like everyone else and have to pay for what we use ??

Will be full of questions before too long no doubt so I'll apologise in advance for bashing ears hehe.

Michelle & Carl

Hi there

Sorry no idea about scholling but can help on the medical side a bit, you pay for doctors appointments but my hubbys doctor charges $22 (about 7 quid) per visit, hospital treatment was free if you have relevant visa or are kiwi born (like he is) but you can get medical insurance for private treatment if you wish..no idea of cost

hope this helps a bit

Dawn

UKNZAUS Oct 3rd 2006 7:10 pm

Thanks Dawn

I had sort of guessed the Healthcare side of things, just needed it clarifying! Now to find someone who is knowledgable on the educational side hehe! Can anyone else help ????

;)

donscbr6 Oct 3rd 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks Dawn

I had sort of guessed the Healthcare side of things, just needed it clarifying! Now to find someone who is knowledgable on the educational side hehe! Can anyone else help ????

;)

Hi Michelle & Carl,

Check out http://www.minedu.govt.nz/ . The school fees vary depending on which school your kids go to.

cheers,

Don.

Watt Dabney Oct 3rd 2006 7:45 pm

Hi everyone

Michelle & Carl

We came on work to residency many moons ago. Answers to your questions, you and your hubby will be issued work visas and your kids will be issued with student visas, which intitles them to access the education system as domestic students. So only costs will be activitly fees and school 'donation'.
Healthcare you will be intitled to access the healthcare system like any NZ'er. The only resitrictions worth looking into are family assistance etc I am not sure of the residence requirements google the NZ IRD site you should be able to find out there.

Paula

UKNZAUS Oct 3rd 2006 7:51 pm

Thanks Don !!

Looks very complex so will look at it tomorrow when I'm more awake lol

SarahB Oct 3rd 2006 7:53 pm

No answers for you I'm afraid but welcome to the board anyway!! In our experience migration experts were a total rip off and we did it ourselves although we went for PR. Malcolm Pacific wanted £3k so we did it ourselves online and we got PR issued in 2 days but OH had a job offer. Good luck anyway!

UKNZAUS Oct 3rd 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks Paula !!

Thats clarified it for me! I just need to find a school now. Been looking at settling in Whangarei and have seen a school on the net that looks fab!

Writing out a list at the mo of what I can't possibly bear to leave, having a bit of trouble convincing DH that I *must* take along with me (some toys and other sentimental bits) - if you have any good techniques on how to win him over, I'd be grateful !! Usually I just tell him but he's having none of it this time around lol

Thanks again xx

Michelle & (meany) Carl ;)

donscbr6 Oct 3rd 2006 8:10 pm

Hi Michelle,

When you move to a new place I think it's important to have some of your personal 'sentimental' belongings around you initially, bit like a comfort blanket, until you're settled. :o

Don.

UKNZAUS Oct 3rd 2006 8:13 pm

Ta again

I'll tell him that - might help with the transition phase yay

sky Oct 3rd 2006 8:25 pm

Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum :)

poppets Oct 3rd 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks Paula !!

Thats clarified it for me! I just need to find a school now. Been looking at settling in Whangarei and have seen a school on the net that looks fab!

Writing out a list at the mo of what I can't possibly bear to leave, having a bit of trouble convincing DH that I *must* take along with me (some toys and other sentimental bits) - if you have any good techniques on how to win him over, I'd be grateful !! Usually I just tell him but he's having none of it this time around lol

Thanks again xx

Michelle & (meany) Carl ;)

welcome michelle
i think that its probably easier to pay the packers /moving co to come & pack your stuff & ship it over. I think i'd have gone mad (the kids definantly would have) if we'd have had to go shopping for everything when we got here, you just have to put up with a few weeks of not having your stuff & its like christmas when it arrives :)

Jude J Oct 3rd 2006 8:50 pm

Hello :)
Your questions have been answered so just saying hello and good luck with it all.

scracha Oct 4th 2006 11:36 am

Hi everyone
I'm Michelle, married to Carl with 3 kids and just about to apply for the Work to Residence visa (hoorah!!) My hubby is a Product Manager so we're hunting

Congrats & good luck. If you're experienced in IT (especially in a shortage area) then go for Skilled Migrant visa if at all possible. That way you get a residence permit straight away and then a returning residence visa just 3 months after arrival. You can also chop and change jobs when you like (not sure if some of the other visa types allow this).

poppets Oct 4th 2006 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by scracha
Congrats & good luck. If you're experienced in IT (especially in a shortage area) then go for Skilled Migrant visa if at all possible. That way you get a residence permit straight away and then a returning residence visa just 3 months after arrival. You can also chop and change jobs when you like (not sure if some of the other visa types allow this).

we got a RRV with our PR , under skilled migrant - hubby graphic designer -

scracha Oct 4th 2006 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by poppets
we got a RRV with our PR , under skilled migrant - hubby graphic designer -

Is it just me that finds it very strange and confusing? Currently there's about 4 permits and visa's on the passport care of NZIS and I've no idea what they're all for :-)

poppets Oct 4th 2006 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by scracha
Is it just me that finds it very strange and confusing? Currently there's about 4 permits and visa's on the passport care of NZIS and I've no idea what they're all for :-)

no, i have no idea,(but i've not really looked either!) i find leaving it to hubby isa much easier option :D

sunshine_and_rain Oct 6th 2006 6:01 am

Hi everyone

Michelle & Carl

Not sure if your hubby interestedin Healthcare but go look at www.lakesdhb.govt.nz and then the HR page and vacancies - there is a "Change Manager' job being advertised - which is managing a HUGE Hospital upgrade project - might be of help?

Steve Horrell Oct 6th 2006 9:23 pm

Hi everyone

Michelle & Carl

Hi Michelle and Carl - welcome!!

We came over on the Work to Residence Visa in 2003 so I know what you are going through. I left the RN and joined the RNZN and have never looked back. We had the very same thoughts and questions that you seem to be having and there seemed to be no straightforward answers to anything. Because of that, I ended up writing a book about the whole emigration experience called 'Emigrating to New Zealand' that gives details on so many issues covering the 12 months or so before leaving UK and the initial settling period in NZ. It was published at the end of May this year by 'How to Books' in Oxford so why not have a look at a copy on the shelf - I'm sure it will be very useful in addressing a majority of your questions. Migration agents are a total rip-off and cannot guarantee that all important visa; wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!!!

Good luck with your application

Steve Horrell

Am Loolah Oct 6th 2006 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell
Hi Michelle and Carl - welcome!!

We came over on the Work to Residence Visa in 2003 so I know what you are going through. I left the RN and joined the RNZN and have never looked back. We had the very same thoughts and questions that you seem to be having and there seemed to be no straightforward answers to anything. Because of that, I ended up writing a book about the whole emigration experience called 'Emigrating to New Zealand' that gives details on so many issues covering the 12 months or so before leaving UK and the initial settling period in NZ. It was published at the end of May this year by 'How to Books' in Oxford so why not have a look at a copy on the shelf - I'm sure it will be very useful in addressing a majority of your questions. Migration agents are a total rip-off and cannot guarantee that all important visa; wouldn't touch them with a barge pole!!!

Good luck with your application

Steve Horrell

Hi all,

I've just finished said book this week - well done Steve, excellent bible for anyone going - lots of useful tips and areas that one hasn't necessarily thought of addressing. well worth having a look.

Andrew Cross Oct 6th 2006 9:48 pm

I left all the migration stuff to hubby so I dont have a clue...

Welcome to the forum though...and best of luck.. :)

Sue

Steve Horrell Oct 6th 2006 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi all,

I've just finished said book this week - well done Steve, excellent bible for anyone going - lots of useful tips and areas that one hasn't necessarily thought of addressing. well worth having a look.

Thanks for the kind comment Am Loolah - glad you found it useful.

Am Loolah Oct 6th 2006 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Horrell
Thanks for the kind comment Am Loolah - glad you found it useful.

I take cheques made out to "C. ash ...!!"