Old Aug 10th 2019, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

NannyOgg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New member

Hi, I’m a British civil servant, and my husband is a care assistant. We have two daughters in primary school and a dog, I’m currently looking at opportunities in the Auckland area and wondering if anyone can help me with local government pay Scales? I’m familiar with UK one but I’m struggling to find reference to to the banding in Auckland, so I’m unsure if the jobs will be comparable with the pay I’m currently on.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 10:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New member

I would think this should be least of your worries at the moment; you need to figure out first whether you have skills and qualifications that meet the needs of immigration requirements. Being a civil servant is not a skilled role or profession in or of itself and therefore will depend on what particular skills you have that are not readily available in NZ and if you and your OH have enough points to qualify for a visa.
Old Aug 10th 2019, 10:03 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by NannyOgg
Hi, I’m a British civil servant, and my husband is a care assistant. We have two daughters in primary school and a dog, I’m currently looking at opportunities in the Auckland area and wondering if anyone can help me with local government pay Scales? I’m familiar with UK one but I’m struggling to find reference to to the banding in Auckland, so I’m unsure if the jobs will be comparable with the pay I’m currently on.
Morning from New Zealand and welcome to BE.

Shall we do a starter for ten to get you started. What is your occupation please? From there we will be better able to try to help .

Thanks
Old Aug 11th 2019, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

NannyOgg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thank you for your replies, and the welcome!

I’m an Environmental Public Health Scientist, with a background in environmental health, pollution control and environmental regulation. I have two degrees, my undergrad was in engineering geology and my masters in pollution management.

I believe I would qualify under the Environmental Research Scientist Long Term Skill Shortage List.

Last edited by NannyOgg; Aug 11th 2019 at 4:39 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2019, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NannyOgg
Hi, thank you for your replies, and the welcome!

I’m an Environmental Public Health Scientist, with a background in environmental health, pollution control and environmental regulation. I have two degrees, my undergrad was in engineering geology and my masters in pollution management.

I believe I would qualify under the Environmental Research Scientist Long Term Skill Shortage List.
You probably need to remove the focus on Auckland and concentrate on getting a job offer in your occupation anywhere as that'll give you more options and once you're here you can make a plan to build up the NZ work experience then seek roles elsewhere.
My good friend was also a scientist of some sort in Ireland but struggled here as he 'only' had education up to Masters degree. It basically plants a brick wall in the way to any career higher than a technician level Scientist so I remember him saying. To get on he had to do a Doctorate PhD which took him 3 years. He was lucky in the fact he was already a resident so went part time at work and went to uni full time through some government scheme. He actually earned more going back to school and working part time than he did in his job full time as theyre a young family with 3 kids. He graduated around 9 months ago now and landed a job as a Senior Scientist with MPI in a state of the art facility in Wellington that investigates bio risk stuff to do with animals and serious human diseases.
When you say you "qualify" it doesn't mean much really. It just means the occupation is classed as skilled and there's probably a skill shortage for it but doesn't mean it'll be easy to land a job from overseas.