Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Treacle is on a distinguished road
Default New Member

Hi Andrea here, just registered 20 mins ago and here is a brief intro to my family.Me 39 Housewife, Hubby Paul 41 Anaylist Programmer in Leeds, Frances 11 and Richard 9. Just returned from recce trip in Chch, 13 April, all sorts of emotions, me very scared, Paul quietly confident, kids think its what they want. I went with a head full of tourist tripe and landed with a bang to reality. I cant seem to focus on the good just the bad, but after saying that we have been driving round like burglers trying to look at the good and the bad areas so well and trully demented now! I worry the cost of living will be too high and the every day things will be a problem but yet I want ti live near a beach and my kids play out with friends as I used to do. We are not exactly the sporting models but we are not dead yet! We dont go out much here due to lack of babysitters, but then again Barnsley insnt exactly the nightlife capital of the world. I want a different life, to improve for my kids, but at the moment finding things very difficult. Hubby wants this more than anything, says we'll get used to it but what if I don't? Is it just me??
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Suicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to all
Default Re: New Member

Hi Andrea
Welcome to the forum! Everybody has doubts at some time I am sure, I have them on a daily basis and we are only at the stage of waiting to see if we get an ITA There are lots of helpful people on here that are more than willing to share their knowledge and experiences with you
What stage are you at? Have you put your EOI in etc?
Take care and once again, welcome
Hazel
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:24 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Treacle View Post
Hi Andrea here, just registered 20 mins ago and here is a brief intro to my family.Me 39 Housewife, Hubby Paul 41 Anaylist Programmer in Leeds, Frances 11 and Richard 9. Just returned from recce trip in Chch, 13 April, all sorts of emotions, me very scared, Paul quietly confident, kids think its what they want. I went with a head full of tourist tripe and landed with a bang to reality. I cant seem to focus on the good just the bad, but after saying that we have been driving round like burglers trying to look at the good and the bad areas so well and trully demented now! I worry the cost of living will be too high and the every day things will be a problem but yet I want ti live near a beach and my kids play out with friends as I used to do. We are not exactly the sporting models but we are not dead yet! We dont go out much here due to lack of babysitters, but then again Barnsley insnt exactly the nightlife capital of the world. I want a different life, to improve for my kids, but at the moment finding things very difficult. Hubby wants this more than anything, says we'll get used to it but what if I don't? Is it just me??
Hi

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

But I'm going for it, because I know that in 5 or 6 years time I will regret not giving it a go. Better to regret something you've tried than something you haven't

But why regret it. Read all the threads, ask whatever questions you feel you need to and wait for all the positives to come flooding back.

Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sirplug View Post
Hi

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

But I'm going for it, because I know that in 5 or 6 years time I will regret not giving it a go. Better to regret something you've tried than something you haven't

But why regret it. Read all the threads, ask whatever questions you feel you need to and wait for all the positives to come flooding back.

Also get ready for the negatives, inevitable, but you need to get a balanced view.
We've been here since October. We love it. Our 11 yr old is settled in school and has made loads of friends, spends each Saturday at a riding centre helping out, for which she gets a free lesson. We've bought a house, car and motorcycle, both have average paid jobs (though Karen's is a little higher average than mine!). All going great.
However, that's just us. We were both sure this was what we wanted to do. If you have strong doubts, especially after visiting, then you need to really think about moving permanently. Other people who have done that have gone back not long after. On the other hand, others have stayed. At the end of the day, I agree with what Sirplug says, will you always be thinking 'what if?' if you decide not to come.
There are bad areas, and people (I know, I work for the Department of Corrections!), but they seldom interfere with your life if you're in a good area. We live in a good area, but I can stand out on my deck and see one of the bad ones.
Cruise around all the threads on at least the 1st three pages of the forum to get some idea. You may even want to consider another recce after that and, if you're not tied to ChCh, may I suggest you try North Island, it's great!
Good luck
Old Apr 19th 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Hi Andrea,

I'm just interested in to your opinions of the positives and negatives of moving over here. We (OH, 2 Boys now 11 and 12 and two dogs and two bloody cars) moved here 2 years ago from huddersfield. I think the problem is, that once you plant the seed of immigration you then have "i know i may regret it if i dont give it a go"
Old Apr 19th 2007, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Yorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant futureYorksha has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Treacle View Post

Hi Andrea,
I can relate to alot of what you have said, especially the bit about Barnsley!!! I'm from Sheffield. I've decided to leave for NZ in July with nothing but some money in the bank and my bag of worldly goods with the hope of securing a job ( carpenter/ joiner by trade) I too have doubts but also many people on here have gone through the same and its bound to work out. I'm generally positive and don't want to regret not going or atleast trying.

Good luck
Old Apr 20th 2007, 4:43 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Everyday you will go through the ups and downs. Some days I feel like "What the @@@@" and others its get us there NOW

Anyway welcome and fire away with whatever questions you may . No matter how daft they may seem