Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New MAF Rules for pets

New MAF Rules for pets

Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Arrow New MAF Rules for pets

New MAF rules for our cats and dogs are coming into play .

The biggest change for pets from the UK is the requirement for a 10 day quarantine and vet inspection, also an import permit is now required. The new rules also change the quarantine rules for those countries from where a longer quarantine was previously required (most of Europe, Canada, US), and also other requirements from these countries have changed a bit. The changes are anticipated to take effect on 2nd May 2011.

There is a one month overlap/ change period between the old and new rules

Link to the info

with acknowledgement to Mgee for the reminder

Last edited by BEVS; May 2nd 2011 at 12:02 am.
Old Apr 30th 2011, 12:57 pm
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New MAF Rules for pets

Originally Posted by BEVS
New MAF rules for our cats and dogs are coming into play .

The biggest change for pets from the UK is the requirement for a 10 day quarantine and vet inspection, also an import permit is now required. The new rules also change the quarantine rules for those countries from where a longer quarantine was previously required (most of Europe, Canada, US), and also other requirements from these countries have changed a bit. The changes are anticipated to take effect on 2nd May 2011.

There is a one month overlap/ change period between the old and new rules

Link to the info

ooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh booooooooooooo we are hoping to bring our 3 king charles with us, i was really happy to know there was no quarantine but now oh dear, i suppose it will be worth it and the fact they should be held together will be good for them, thanks for the news

jo
Old May 4th 2011, 7:04 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Morning All

We had a chat with Airpets yesterday (03.05.11) and they said that an independent review had been called for so at the moment everything stays the same, the lady did say be warned if it changes there will be very little notice and we will all have to abide by the new rules.

Basically we are in limbo, Oscar is flying out next month (ssshhhh don't tell him yet please) and we have no idea what rules he will be flying under.

Not sure if this info adds to the discussion but I thought it would be best to share it with you all.

Must pack now, i leave on Friday for NZ
Old May 5th 2011, 5:54 am
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DandJMay
Morning All

We had a chat with Airpets yesterday (03.05.11) and they said that an independent review had been called for so at the moment everything stays the same, the lady did say be warned if it changes there will be very little notice and we will all have to abide by the new rules.

Basically we are in limbo, Oscar is flying out next month (ssshhhh don't tell him yet please) and we have no idea what rules he will be flying under.

Not sure if this info adds to the discussion but I thought it would be best to share it with you all.

Must pack now, i leave on Friday for NZ

rules are rules i suppose and it will be worth it in the end. ah bless you just go along and see what comes. you are sooooooooooooooooo lucky, good luck with the move and please stay in touch. where are you moving to?

Old May 10th 2011, 3:42 am
Account Closed

DandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond reputeDandJMay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

W have booked Oscar to fly out in 41 days (with Airpets). He travels under the current rules. So fingers crossed the review will take long enough to get all our pets, home is just house without Oscar here to boss me around.

Will let you know how he gets on
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:05 am
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road

Just heard that the new rules have been "reviewed" and will be coming into use on June 26th- any pets arriving on or after that day will require the 10 days (expensive) quarantine There are fewer tests for cats, but the bummer is the quarantine and the need for the import permit that goes with it.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Oscar the cat arrives on the 24 June, just misses it by two days!!
Old Sep 11th 2011, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

is it true that animals need rabbies injections if travelling after jan 2012, and this needs to be done 6mths before
We are hoping to come out in the new year but didnt know about the rabbies jab
Old Sep 11th 2011, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

jworth is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm afraid it is true! there has been little warning but due to the fact that britain is relaxing its rules for animals coming into britain ( from rabies jab at least six months before import to only requiring a rabies jab 21 days before import, and i believe not required to have a blood test before import(?) ) This means that new zealand will then treat us the same as any other european country. this does apply from the 1st jan 2012. It sucks, but i can see where they are coming from. However a bit more notice would have been preferable. I was talking to some pet shipping companies who are not best pleased either as it means no animals will be entering NZ between jan and march 2012 unless they already have a pet passport or have had to have a rabies jab earlier in the year.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:45 am
Just Joined

This is indeed true, and meant a hasty amendment to the article:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/ne.../ship-pets-nz/

This is going to catch a lot of people by surprise and unless they've got a rabies vaccination already for their pets it's going to cause a big delay with emigration plans.

In terms of the requirements for coming into the UK, they have changed considerably which, as the previous poster has said, is likely to be the reason for the NZ change.

To come into the UK from the EU and the currently "listed" countries (America, Canada, Oz, NZ, etc.) the requirements would be microchip, rabies vaccination then 21 day wait before the pet could enter the UK (as well as having a tapeworm treatment before the flight)- in that order- no blood test required and no 6 month wait.

To come in from other "non-listed" countries (those not previously on the Pet Travel Scheme e.g. India, Pakistan, China)- the requirements are microchip, rabies vaccination, 30 day wait then blood test and 3 month wait prior to entry (as well as having a tapeworm treatment before the flight).

In all cases the right airline needs to be used, but on the whole the requirements are much simpler. However, now there's the knock-on effect of the New Zealand requirements causing chaos.

I've attached the latest news from DEFRA if that helps. Otherwise the best thing people planning to move to NZ could do would be to get their pet rabies vaccination ASAP to cause the least delay in 2012!
Attached Files
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Oh no, we were hoping to come over in the new year on a WTR or Temporary visa, both of which are fairly quick visas, we thought we had everything sorted but even if i get the injections done now my beloved cats cant come until March [I] totally understand why it has been done but such short notice don't seem fair. Now an exciting new life adventure, for me and the kids, will be very upsetting:curse:
Old Sep 12th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

jworth is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance you can have them injected now and get a family member or friend to look after them for whatever time is required after you move? it might give you a chance to have a settled home for them to come over to. I know its hard, we are in the process of taking our three dogs out to NZ and are rushing to do it before january, bit fraught!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:25 am
Just Joined

That's a good point- depending on where you're living when you land, some rented accomodations won't let you have pets AND cats are very aware of stress- them following after you've got there gives you every chance of settling in, then you can focus on them when they arrive, rather than juggling everything! It's a pain, but this might be a silver lining....
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys, thats does seem like an option, with no date at the moment i may be worrying about nothing. Will get them injected this week and wait and see.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moonie2011
Thanks guys, thats does seem like an option, with no date at the moment i may be worrying about nothing. Will get them injected this week and wait and see.
Having been one of the first to arrive in NZ, with 2 dogs, under the new quarantine rules, I just wanted to let people know that, because I sent the dogs out before I arrived, I had an import duty bill of $500/dog. If the dogs had arrived after me, I could have claimed the import duty back!
For those of you running to a timeline to get your dogs over here for the next 12 weeks or so, the very best of luck to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.