Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New to looking into New Zealand!!

New to looking into New Zealand!!

Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

KoalaCaroline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to looking into New Zealand!!

Hi All,

Just thought would introduce myself. We are family of four who are keeping our options open about emigrating to either New Zealand or Australia.

New Zealand is slightly winning due to the no snakes and only one dangerous spider scenario lol.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: New to looking into New Zealand!!

Kia Ora to you and have some no snakes karma to get you off to a good start.

See you on the main forum
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:39 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep no snakes....just possum's lol, but hardly seen any of them either....lol and welcome
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:41 am
`

Originally Posted by love30stm
Yep no snakes....just possum's lol, but hardly seen any of them either....lol and welcome
Possums = road kill down in this neck of the woods.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:41 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Welcome, ask away.

NZ is for me, my brother moved to Oz in 1978 and won't even leave to go on holiday it loves it so much. The one time he did if an Oz advert came on TV he stood up for it.

Pauline
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:43 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Welcome, ask away.

NZ is for me, my brother moved to Oz in 1978 and won't even leave to go on holiday it loves it so much. The one time he did if an Oz advert came on TV he stood up for it.

Don't forget Oz also has poisonous spiders, crocks, sharks, sea snakes. Where my brother lives you don't go in the sea due to stone fish where you paddle, then you have to pass the sea snakes to reach the sharks - go figure.

Pauline
Old Aug 12th 2008, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys,

You lot are much friendlier than the ones on the Australian forum lol

Still looking around. Its all so confusing, dont know what to do for the best really. We want to do the best by the kids. I have read that unlike here (UK) the kids dont really play outside in OZ, unfortunately, if that is the case my 10 year old is gonna go mad. He plays outside constantly, in fact is out there riding his bike with his little friends from our road right now.!!!

Think I like Christchurch in New Zealand, but again so many places to look at. We are going to Melbourne in March for a look around, but now I have seen the plus side to New Zealand I am wondering if we shouldnt have chosen New Zealand for our rekkie. Oh well, we will just have to see how it goes I suppose.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:10 pm
lionheart

Hi again

The kids appear to live outside here. Very family orientated country, families get together not just the adults kids as well.
The biggest plus I can see for kids is they remain kids for longer which is good as they are NOT little adults they are kids. You are an adult for so long you should be allowed a childhood.

Pauline
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howden40
Hi again

The kids appear to live outside here. Very family orientated country, families get together not just the adults kids as well.
The biggest plus I can see for kids is they remain kids for longer which is good as they are NOT little adults they are kids. You are an adult for so long you should be allowed a childhood.

Pauline
100% DITTO!!!

This is one of the main reasons we are moving to NZ!

Welcome & good luck with whatever you decide
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, all this is so confusing. Havent even told hubby I am looking at New Zealand, if I did I think he would cart me off to the nut house.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 10:58 pm
`

That's the way to do it. Don't tell the husband !

The kids around us play out all the time.

Melbourne v NZ. HHmmm
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:37 am
lionheart

Originally Posted by KoalaCaroline
Hi, all this is so confusing. Havent even told hubby I am looking at New Zealand, if I did I think he would cart me off to the nut house.

Mine wanted to cart me off years ago, but the kids wouldn't let him - they love their nutty mother.

Anyway

Do what I do, to date it has worked every time. Instill the idea and leave it to grow.
Discuss NZ how close it is for hols etc and what a nice place it sounds to be. No more than than just instill the idea. Leave it to grow and one nite suggest you look at NZ site just for something to do.
With any luck before you know it, it will be his idea to consider NZ.

Or

If he drinks encourage him to have one too many and instill the idea then ending with 'well i'll look into it when I get a chance, following day look into it and tell him 'as suggested I have looked at NZ site and you know what I'm glad you suggested it.

Works for me

Pauline

PS OH is now aware of this, he just doesn't recognise when I'm doing it. And being male doesn't want to admit.

Last edited by howden40; Aug 13th 2008 at 12:41 am. Reason: Sneaky wife
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

LOL, I think I will go for the second option. He does love a good drink