British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   new life in nz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-life-nz-401809/)

Maz1 Oct 12th 2006 9:50 am

new life in nz

Hi mash here, me and my family are just going through the rigmaroles of moving to NZ. We have 2 kids -boy 14 and girl 10. Just wondering about places to live in Christchurch. We currently live in the NE England where I have lived all my life. Husband has a job lined up so it shouldnt be too long before we are arriving on your doorstep (so to speak). Anyone out there who can help as to go to for family friendly areas to live will be much appreciated.

lardyl Oct 12th 2006 2:39 pm

Re: new life in nz

hi mash, can't help with Chch but good luck and maybe see ya around the foum, Ian (maybe even see ya in NZ next year!).
BTW, where are you from in the NE - Teeside, Tyneside, Wearside??

Maz1 Oct 12th 2006 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl
hi mash, can't help with Chch but good luck and maybe see ya around the foum, Ian (maybe even see ya in NZ next year!).
BTW, where are you from in the NE - Teeside, Tyneside, Wearside??

Hi, I'm from a little place called Hartlepool which is in Teeside. Do you know it?

Sue Oct 12th 2006 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maz1
Hi mash here, me and my family are just going through the rigmaroles of moving to NZ. We have 2 kids -boy 14 and girl 10. Just wondering about places to live in Christchurch. We currently live in the NE England where I have lived all my life. Husband has a job lined up so it shouldnt be too long before we are arriving on your doorstep (so to speak). Anyone out there who can help as to go to for family friendly areas to live will be much appreciated.

Welcome to the site.

Apple12 Oct 12th 2006 7:02 pm

If you let us know a bit more information then we would be happy to help.
Where is your husbands job? Would you rather be - on the hills with a view, walking distance to town, close to the beach, closer to the mountains, new houses, old houses, rural, commuting distance...

Maz1 Oct 12th 2006 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12
If you let us know a bit more information then we would be happy to help.
Where is your husbands job? Would you rather be - on the hills with a view, walking distance to town, close to the beach, closer to the mountains, new houses, old houses, rural, commuting distance...

Hi, not sure where we are going at the moment. People who hubby is going to work for are getting us a 3 bed. I would just like to know if we have a choice - where to be put. Ideally close to a beach, but we have 2 kids 14 & 10, so somewhere where they will have things to do and not get bored. Also, I have read a few comments on the subject of wages, cost of living, and how much to bring with us, obviously the more the better but how much is absolute minimum to have a good lifestyle.

Gill and Rob Oct 12th 2006 7:47 pm

Sorry can't help with details about ChCh as we are on the North Island curious as to whereabout in the NE of England you are from? I have been to ChCh on a visit and it is beautiful but can't tell you anything about the different areas.

Rob

Gill and Rob Oct 12th 2006 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Sorry can't help with details about ChCh as we are on the North Island curious as to whereabout in the NE of England you are from? I have been to ChCh on a visit and it is beautiful but can't tell you anything about the different areas.

Rob

Duh! must read all posts properly, If you need any advice don't be too shy to post as none of us bite in here. We have been in NZ for 3 1/2 years since we moved from Stanley, biggest thing we have ever done in our lives and no regrets. We did however have our down days, but this must be very normal. It now seems so long since we made the move and it has really given us a new outlook on life, having done this we feel we can do anything. Go for it.

Rob

Apple12 Oct 12th 2006 8:19 pm

Hi, not sure where we are going at the moment. People who hubby is going to work for are getting us a 3 bed. I would just like to know if we have a choice - where to be put. Ideally close to a beach, but we have 2 kids 14 & 10, so somewhere where they will have things to do and not get bored. Also, I have read a few comments on the subject of wages, cost of living, and how much to bring with us, obviously the more the better but how much is absolute minimum to have a good lifestyle.

OK so where is your husband working?
If your work is going to put you up in a three bed, then that sounds fab, one less thing to worry about. This gives you a place when you land so you will have time to figure out what you want to do. If the company wants to keep you and make you all happy, then they are hardly going to put you in a dump are they! Kind of gift horse, mouth, etc...
You have a massive choice on where to live... the people who post in here from ChCh live in quite different parts of the city, and most are happy with their choice.

Maz1 Oct 12th 2006 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Duh! must read all posts properly, If you need any advice don't be too shy to post as none of us bite in here. We have been in NZ for 3 1/2 years since we moved from Stanley, biggest thing we have ever done in our lives and no regrets. We did however have our down days, but this must be very normal. It now seems so long since we made the move and it has really given us a new outlook on life, having done this we feel we can do anything. Go for it.

Rob

How do you find the cost of living- if you dont mind me asking. A lot of views some good and some bad. By the way we are from Hartlepool about 15 mins from Middlesbrough and 45mins from Newcastle. We are just waiting for our police checks to come back, seems to be taking forever even though its only been 3 weeks. How strict is the nz gov. for getting in. My hubby has a accredited cert.

Gill and Rob Oct 12th 2006 8:53 pm

How do you find the cost of living- if you dont mind me asking. A lot of views some good and some bad. By the way we are from Hartlepool about 15 mins from Middlesbrough and 45mins from Newcastle. We are just waiting for our police checks to come back, seems to be taking forever even though its only been 3 weeks. How strict is the nz gov. for getting in. My hubby has a accredited cert.

I will private message you in a few hours, I am busy at this very moment.

Rob

lardyl Oct 12th 2006 9:34 pm

Hi, I'm from a little place called Hartlepool which is in Teeside. Do you know it?

whye aye - MrsL's best friend from Uni was from the very place, she married a bloke from Easington, my colleague's husband was the harbour master at the marina......
We lived in Sedgefield for a few years in the early 90s - nice part of the world!!!
Good luck with Police checks - full 40 days as the "Pond life" (students) need em at the moment for college courses (so the desk sgt. said!).
Ian

stacey19 Oct 12th 2006 10:29 pm

Hi, we are in the same kind of situation. We have 2 toddlers age 2 and 3, OH has been offered a job in Chch (sydenham) and Auckland but we are leaning more towards Chch. We fly out in January, when do you arrive?

sky Oct 13th 2006 12:59 am

Welcome to the forum Maz1 :)
When we first arrived we rented in Burnside in Christchurch and I absolutely hated it even though it's in the catchment area for some really good schools. Folk all have different tastes and ideas about where they like to live though don't they so maybe just see what area you like once you get here.
We realised we'd never be happy in the city so moved to the outskirts and have been getting steadily further away from the city ever since lol. In three years we've moved four times and once our new house is built it'll be five!
What is your husbands job going to be and does he want to commute or not?

Maz1 Oct 13th 2006 7:47 am

Originally Posted by stacey19
Hi, we are in the same kind of situation. We have 2 toddlers age 2 and 3, OH has been offered a job in Chch (sydenham) and Auckland but we are leaning more towards Chch. We fly out in January, when do you arrive?

Not sure yet OH job starts the end of this month, his company are really patient with us as they know how long it could take. We only made our minds up beginning of Sept. So really hasn't been that long. Where in th uk are you from?