British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New life in Albany - need advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-life-albany-need-advice-706788/)

vitoriano700 Feb 24th 2011 4:44 pm

New life in Albany - need advice

Hi,

I really really need some advice since my family and I are going to move to Albany, in the North Shore. I have just been there once, so I would love to know any advice on places to live and schools for the education of my children.

Ideally, we would love to be close to the coast, but it seems too expensive at this point. Are there any other areas around Albany suitable for living were a house near the coast is cheaper? What about schools? Anyway, I would much appreciate your advice.

Thanks in advance for your comment,
Brian

janeyk Feb 24th 2011 6:00 pm

Re: New life in Albany - need advice

Hi
We live in Torbay just down the road there are houses that are reasonable in this area, the same with Browns bay, our son 10 goes to Torbay primary which we are really happy with and will go to Northcross intermediate next year. I have not heard a bad word about any f the schools in the area and there are a few what ages are you children?
is there a specidfic reason you are looking at Albany? as there are lots of places on the North shore that are reasonably priced, Pm me if you wish to know more !
more than happy to meet up when you have arrived!
:)Best wishes
Jane

RickAlbany Feb 24th 2011 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by janeyk (Post 9199428)
Hi
We live in Torbay just down the road there are houses that are reasonable in this area, the same with Browns bay, our son 10 goes to Torbay primary which we are really happy with and will go to Northcross intermediate next year. I have not heard a bad word about any f the schools in the area and there are a few what ages are you children?
is there a specidfic reason you are looking at Albany? as there are lots of places on the North shore that are reasonably priced, Pm me if you wish to know more !
more than happy to meet up when you have arrived!
:)Best wishes
Jane

+1
I'm also in tobay and my boys go to the same school as Jane's, need any help just PM me or Jane :)

Tango1 Feb 25th 2011 6:43 am

Also in Torbay, great place to live and kids at Northcross and Long Bay College and both having a great time.

Divine Comedy Feb 25th 2011 8:54 am

Hi, Albany is a new area and still growing. You can pick up reasonable priced property's . There are three new schools Albany primary , Albany junior high and then the newest Albany senior high. I have heard a mixture of comments mainly on the senior high school as it has some quite radical thinking. You have the shopping centre close by and other good amenities . I used to work in Albany and I like the place . Have you looked at greenhithe ? That is very close to Albany and has a lovley village feel and good community spirt .
Have you chosen Albany for a reason ?
I live very close to Albany if I can help you further PM me .:D

vitoriano700 Feb 25th 2011 8:49 pm

Thanks for your answers!

It is not that we bought something in Albany, well, I guess it is the only city that I know there and this is where my job is located. I am glad to know about other places like Tobay, I checked on the internet and looks appealing with a short commute to Albany.

Your advice is much much appreciated.
Hope to meet you soon!

Stuee Mar 1st 2011 12:49 am

we live in Greenhithe, very close to Albany, 1 child in albany senior and 1 in albany junior, they love it. Few nice areas dotted around in the Albany school catchment area and quite easy to get to everything you need

mancaucks Mar 2nd 2011 12:34 pm

My parents live in Browns bay, my little brother started off at Browns Bay Primary, moved on to Northcross Intermediate and has just stared his first year at Long Bay College. All great schools, never had any trouble with them.

Must say that HE chose Long Bay after my parents sent me to Westlake Boys without any imput and i dropped out after the first term after just not fitting in at all.

If they are under high school age you'll find its ALOT easier to get them in there and acting like little kiwis!