British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New learner motorcycle rules. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-learner-motorcycle-rules-753044/)

Charismatic Mar 28th 2012 10:46 am

New learner motorcycle rules.

Does anyone understand how the new rules apply if you already have a Learners license? Will all those people on stock bikes suddenly not be able to ride their little stock bikes legally on a learners?

Also this new power to weight ratio thing for sub 660cc motorcycles, is there a guide to which models meet these limits and which don’t? I’ve got no idea what the power/weight ratio of a Shadow, Boulevard or V-Star would be :lol:.

Justcol Mar 28th 2012 9:01 pm

Re: New learner motorcycle rules.

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 9976657)
I’ve got no idea what the power/weight ratio of a Shadow, Boulevard or V-Star would be :lol:.

VERY VERY VERY LOW :rofl:
Most cruisers weigh about 6 tons and have the power of a child on tricycle.

didnt realise the rules had changed, you got a link so I can look em up

sparkie down under Mar 29th 2012 1:33 am

knew the rules changed in the UK but not here as well

Robbie2010 Mar 29th 2012 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 9977553)
didnt realise the rules had changed, you got a link so I can look em up

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/about/media/...1405/news.html

Justcol Mar 29th 2012 1:46 am

fantastic, cant wait for the power to weight stuff to kick in, it will probably take all
the 250 2 stroke bikes (RGV,NSR,TZR) out of range of the learner market which means
the current massively inflated prices will tumble meaning more fun for me :thumbsup:

sparkie down under Mar 29th 2012 4:44 am

4 stroke V twin Italian (in-line preferably) now THAT'S a motorbike
:scarper:

pitman Mar 29th 2012 6:32 am

I love two strokes had most of them when i was a young un sold my elsie 350 five years ago in the uk wished i`d brought it with me.I had a KH 500 when i was fifteen swapped a dodgy looking twin deck fidelity record player with flashing lights and sixty quid for it the bloke i got it off thought he`d got a good deal as it was only firing on one cylinder turned out to be only two knacked spark plugs bargain.

Justcol Mar 29th 2012 7:24 am

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 9977975)
4 stroke V twin Italian (in-line preferably) now THAT'S a motorbike
:scarper:

Nah, screaming strokers with mental powerbands, real riders bikes. Non of that linear power
4 stroke stuff that'll pull you through a corner no matter what gear your in

My favourite

sparkie down under Mar 29th 2012 6:33 pm

I'm not really that silly to say my bike better than yours, or am I now too old to say it:hysterical:

Just love winding those up who are still young enough to think they have the best bike:argue:

Pitman I had a KH500 in 1984, coming back from Glastonbury, through the Cheddar gorge the centre pot over heated and faded in and out, the brakes gave up with heat fade and the bends just got tighter and tighter meaning I had to go lower and lower and faster and faster. By the time we actually got into Cheddar village I was screaming at people to get out of the way as I had a grossly overloaded, no brakes, speeding, wheely popping monster beneath me.
Aah Happy days:yield:

I saw my first Elsie in practice week TT 79 or was it 80. 5.45am Quaterbridge. A damp morning ruined by the sound of a screaming 2 stroke going down the box in his vain attempt to take the tight right hander. It was only made better when he finally passed the peak rev points and blew the engine. Bits of engine everywhere,:rofl:

All of us keen to have a butchers at this new marvel, (and collect a bit). We were soon beaten back by small, yellow skinned men in white coats in a huge tranist van who gathered up all the bits, slung them in the back and disappeared into the morning mist. 3 months later the 'new' LC250 &350 were announced to a eager British public. One year later they changed the licensing rules:ohmy:

pitman Mar 30th 2012 6:19 am

Hmmm was Elsie invented by aliens,and what a Sweet sound it must have been(apart from the bang when it blew up) :-) Lucky you

Justcol Mar 31st 2012 12:18 am

I had 2 350lc's, how I survived them I'll never know,
I was the typical elsie rider, late teens, spotty as hell,thought I was Barry Sheene