Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New imports insurance due to toy scare

New imports insurance due to toy scare

Old Nov 8th 2007, 9:08 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default New imports insurance due to toy scare

Interesting article on how NZ has reacted to the recent toy scare & recall.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10474961

Personally, I am not sure how liability insurance will solve the problem

The New Zealand Manufacturers and Exporters Association says the insurance would ensure all imported goods complied with New Zealand safety standards and would provide local companies with a level playing field when competing with cheaper, and possibly lower quality imports.

My understanding of liability insurance was / is that there are no inspections that take place to check compliance.

The call has won the support of Green Party regional development spokesperson Sue Bradford.
"We expect, and regulate for, consumer safety here in New Zealand, but we simply don't have the capacity to place the same kind of safety and quality standards on the masses of imports that come across our border," she said.

This is more realistic and the way I see it is that enforcing liability insurance for importers is just a shift of responsibility and a total cop-out.

I guess it is more important to store up the taxpayers money for the next election campaign than to address serious issues.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7083158.stm

Interesting to compare the BBC’s report yesterday on the “Chinese” made toys

Another interesting article on the Beeb site refers to the China brand under threat as a global awakening at the sub standard quality of China’s output.