Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New home build !!!!!

New home build !!!!!

Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:59 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New home build !!!!!

Hi (love the name), sorry to burst your bubble but in NZ not all Architects have been to uni and studied for 5 years. In fact I've met several and when you get down to it hardly any have.

A job I had done some time ago - the 'architect' there was in a previous job a chef. (not that we knew that until much later).

Also just because an architect has designed your home doesn't mean it will work for you. Ive seen plenty self builds which are much better than any architect drawn 'dream' house.

I find the person swinging the hammer has a much better understanding of what works, rather then what looks good.

Also, and this is advice to all, when you are self building , YOU, get off your arse and YOU go see the building section at the council. Tell them what it is you are thinking ask them for they opinion. One it's free, two they do this day in day out and do know what they are talking about, three it gets them on side for when things go wrong, (and they will) and four your builder will love you for it, cos when the inspector comes around for a noisy then you can take him away, as he's now your mate, and let the builder get on.

Lastly build price here vary like the weather. I can't see how anyone can give you a guide. It's best guess at best. But everyone have a look at http://www.dbh.govt.nz/bofficials-es...building-costs
should answer some of your questions
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds
Any other people who have brought a plot and built on it out there?
Hi

we bought a plot in Chch and used a builder and chose from a spec house to be built, if you are doing the electics yourslef these need to be certified by the council, if your not a qualified electritian it may have hold up in getting a certificate of completion
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:02 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Alanmacc but the council CAN NOT certify anyone electric's. Any registered electrician or inspector, (like say - me!), can certify a house owners work but, and there's always a but, once they say it's ok then it's down to them when things go wrong, and not the person who did the work.

I ALWAYS go through anyone else's work with a fine toothcomb - so in the end it would have been cheaper to call in a sparky. This isn't protectionism it's the rules we as tradesmen are forced to work under. NZ authorities love to point the finger of blame when things go wrong and here the finger of blame includes whopping big fines.

check out this link. Tells it well.

http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/uplo...8/ecp51v18.pdf
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Lastly build price here vary like the weather. I can't see how anyone can give you a guide. It's best guess at best. But everyone have a look at http://www.dbh.govt.nz/bofficials-es...building-costs
should answer some of your questions
The guides the building companies give people are just that . A Guide. They get these from prices there builders etc ar all charging and base it on a normal sized basic house , these are just a rough cost. once they have a final drawing with the spec you are wanting they can then give you a proper price, i.e upgrading kitchens from there standard ones etc.. in np a decent sized house to a quality standard with all the companies we have had quotes from is costing anywhere from 290k to 370k this is on a 257 sq metre house we have designed our selves.. We looked at hundreds of house plans from all the np companies but there wasnt one that worked for us , we wanted all our bed rooms to be large rooms , i wanted a walk in pantry and his and her walk in robes , while we could of got these in already made plans they wern't to the size we wanted or rooms where we wanted etc etc .I just dont want to move into a house then think oh i wished we had this or that this way we get all the things we have ever wanted in a house. you really have to just talk to the companies in the area , look at the plans and really have a good think on what you want from your home and at what cost you are able to spend. just remember a lot of places need piling and this can cost not much or a hell of a lot, also your power is it at the section etc all these hidden costs

anyway best of luck whatever you decide

caz
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

mydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond reputemydogbitjesus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sparkie, Like I said, it's a complicated argument!
I recommend you use a 'Registered' architect if you choose to go that way (NZIA, RIBA). Sure there are people out there who claim to be architects, most popular is the term 'architectural designer' which could cover your 'Chef'!
I've worked in architectural practices for 18 years both in NZ and the UK and never worked with anybody that hasn't had at least started Uni (part 1) but they would not be designing and definately not running jobs (more like making tea and photocopying!). Usually a Director or Associate with many years of experience will oversee a project architect who has the support of Technologists and draftsmen in their team.
I don't think you can submit plans for consent in NZ now if your not qualified after the leaky homes thing can you? (I'm in Europe now, so a little out of touch).
Using an architect isn't for everyone, I definately agree on that, and having worked in the industry for many years I know what kind of reputation architects have with the general population (and builders in general!), which is a bit of a shame I think. Architecture is a combination of Art and Science, two difficult subjects to marry. Have a look at the book by Alain De Botton "the architecture of happiness" which is also a tv program "the perfect home".
Regards.
P.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
hellman01 2 .pdf (1.30 MB, 72 views)
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, we bought a section in Rangiora in 2007. We then decided to go with a house plan we liked. It was small for us and so I redrew it as a larger 4 bedroom home. It really worked out for us as we got what we liked. However, now that we live in the house, I have discovered i would have liked the kitchen island to be 30cm longer and 15 or 20 cm wider on the one side. We ended up with Stonewood builidng the house. I would never go near them again as they over promise and under deliver. like in any business, it is only as good as the people who actually deliver the service and those who do don't seem to have the guidance of managers striving to be a great buiding company geared to their market. I will spare you the details. To the point, find your section and build your house. I don't find that there is much value in the available amenities offered in most resale homes. Building new is the best way.