British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New home build !!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-home-build-596575/)

Team-Reynolds Mar 10th 2009 9:05 am

New home build !!!!!

Hi there

Has anyone brought a section in Welly to build a house on.
This is what were thinking of doing and are looking for anyone who has done the same who can give us advice please. Did you design your own home or get a pre-designed one, what's the costs etc etc.

Any help would be good thanks :D

CarolineSwan Mar 10th 2009 9:00 pm

Re: New home build !!!!!

Originally Posted by Team-Reynolds (Post 7362778)
Hi there

Has anyone brought a section in Welly to build a house on.
This is what were thinking of doing and are looking for anyone who has done the same who can give us advice please. Did you design your own home or get a pre-designed one, what's the costs etc etc.

Any help would be good thanks :D

Hi

not in NP, but going through similer . We have basically designed house ourself so that it has everything in it we will ever want or need,we then emailed all builders a copy of drawing and sizes etc and they all got back with quotes .Also Gary going to be doing electrics himself as he wants it done right (he veryyyyyyyyyfussy) i think the norm is 1500a square metre for most costings the now

caz

sparkie down under Mar 10th 2009 9:12 pm

I hope Gary is a registered NZ spark

CarolineSwan Mar 10th 2009 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7365097)
I hope Gary is a registered NZ spark

He will be come june and house not started yet still trying to get section we want. so will all come together

sparkie down under Mar 10th 2009 9:22 pm

well done

Team-Reynolds Mar 10th 2009 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 7365071)
Hi

not in NP, but going through similer . We have basically designed house ourself so that it has everything in it we will ever want or need,we then emailed all builders a copy of drawing and sizes etc and they all got back with quotes .Also Gary going to be doing electrics himself as he wants it done right (he veryyyyyyyyyfussy) i think the norm is 1500a square metre for most costings the now

caz

Hi there

Thanks for that info :)

My hubby is no DIY expert :rofl: so well get someone to do the lot lol.
Anyone else doing the same ?????

sparkie down under Mar 10th 2009 10:41 pm

from what I have seen of it owner/self builds are a nightmare and can affect the value. NZ's love the 'leaky home' thing and it's used and used and over used. Who's to say that a competent DIYer can't do a good job. especially when you see some of the builders out there. But sorry to say from what I see on sites self build means nightmares for trades people, and for those building.

I really do hope it goes well for you.

CarolineSwan Mar 10th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by sparkie down under (Post 7365307)
from what I have seen of it owner/self builds are a nightmare and can affect the value. NZ's love the 'leaky home' thing and it's used and used and over used. Who's to say that a competent DIYer can't do a good job. especially when you see some of the builders out there. But sorry to say from what I see on sites self build means nightmares for trades people, and for those building.

I really do hope it goes well for you.

All he will be doing himself is the electrics which he is qualified for. we just dont want a new house like the last one we bought where gary had to then make holes in walls for all our tv's and sound systems etc , he doesnt like any cabeling on show so likes to have it all in walls etcwith a central cupboard to run it all. This way he does it as being built and i dont come home to holes in my walls lol. This home is intended as our final home so really want to make sure everything 100% as i dont intend to move again,after all he works on trades sites for a living

Team-Reynolds Mar 15th 2009 10:35 am

Any other people who have brought a plot and built on it out there? :)

Hokey-pokey Mar 15th 2009 11:01 pm

We have a section and are planning on building within the next three years.
I have been to an endless number of show homes and spoken to sales people by the dozen. One particular building company met us onsite to discuss plans. 3 months ago they went into liquidation.:(
Generally speaking , and of course the recession may have changed these figures, we have been quoted $ 2000.00 per square metre for a quality build.

CarolineSwan Mar 16th 2009 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey (Post 7382789)
We have a section and are planning on building within the next three years.
I have been to an endless number of show homes and spoken to sales people by the dozen. One particular building company met us onsite to discuss plans. 3 months ago they went into liquidation.:(
Generally speaking , and of course the recession may have changed these figures, we have been quoted $ 2000.00 per square metre for a quality build.

could be why its now about 1500 sq, the recession that is , def a time to build. we having negotioations the now about a section we really want . have the house designed and everything just want to get started

mydogbitjesus Mar 16th 2009 7:35 am

have you considered using an architect? could save a lot of headaches in the long run.

Hokey-pokey Mar 16th 2009 7:48 am

Originally Posted by carolineshewan (Post 7383238)
could be why its now about 1500 sq, the recession that is , def a time to build. we having negotioations the now about a section we really want . have the house designed and everything just want to get started

Thats fantastic ! Good time to buy a section too - all the best with the negotiations . May I ask what type of exterior cladding you have chosen and why ? Thanks.

Hokey-pokey Mar 16th 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by mydogbitjesus (Post 7383587)
have you considered using an architect? could save a lot of headaches in the long run.

We thought about an architect until we saw how much they charged. Design and build through a reputable firm is the way we will go.

mydogbitjesus Mar 16th 2009 8:45 am

not really sure how to put this in the best way as it's quite complicated argument as to why you would use an architect over a design and build contractor but;
-sometimes good design can be offset within the overall budget.
-Architects spend 5 plus years at uni learning design, whereas design/build guys go to tech to learn how to bang nails!
-architects deal with building consents daily and have a rapport with local authorities making for less tears getting permits to construct.
-architectural design documentation can be used to tender from several contractors and possibly reduce construction costs.
- Using an architect can get you a very nicely designed home that is a pleasure to live in, using a design build company will get you a box with a roof on!
-they have different ways of charging, e.g. percentage of overall project cost, hourly. Phone a few and ask them (if you haven't already).