New here!

Old May 8th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all
Default New here!

Hi Everyone,

I have been dipping in and out of the site ever since we made the decision to emigrate to NZ in Jan and can I say it has been sooo useful!
My husbands uncle moved out 2 years ago and despite having never been we feel its the best decision for us and our 4 and 5 year old girls.
Im a mental health nurse and therefore on my qualifications alone we have enough points to lodge an eoi next week!
Originally i was interviewed over the phone for a job in aukland, however we have decided to visit in nov and tour around - hopefully our paperwork will be complete then and we can activate the visa.
I decided not to go for the job in auckland as i want the place to determine the job not vice versa!!!
Ive also stopped looking at jobs as we decided not to rush the process ( they wanted me in oct) I would like to settle everyone in once we finally get there for a couple of months, although I am in the process of registering with the NZ nursing council.
My close friend went to Oz in January and we have no ties to keep us here in the UK, so hopefully this time next year we will be ready to move with the kids and dalmatian in tow!!!
I like this site as your comments show the good and the bad, there have been individuals who have said we are mad! however we are sooooo keen to leave here and I often feel its jelousy as they have not got the balls to do it!
would love to hear from anyone else in a similar position with kids and any advise about what we should be specifically looking at when we visit in oct/nov.
keep up the comments, you never know who reads them and how useful they are!
Alison
Old May 8th 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future
Default Re: New here!

hi, i am also thinking of moving but we are going to fly out in april next year for a fortnight to look around look at schools houses give out c.v's ect, i cant wait . im abit random and tell my hubby that we should just sell the lot get the kids and dog and go but i suppose that would be highly stupid lol, i am a community care worker at the moment and im just finishing my open degree which is psychology based, my hubby is a joiner we decided that the bay of plenty is where want to move but this may alter when we visit next year.
the people on here are fantastic and really friendly so if you need any advice im sure they willl help you out. i must say tho it is an emotional rollercoaster but stay focused and you will be fine also do your research ect. i cant really give alot of advice about nz but if u do want to chat just give us a shout. i wish you all the best
ki x
Old May 8th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kira
hi, i am also thinking of moving but we are going to fly out in april next year for a fortnight to look around look at schools houses give out c.v's ect, i cant wait . im abit random and tell my hubby that we should just sell the lot get the kids and dog and go but i suppose that would be highly stupid lol, i am a community care worker at the moment and im just finishing my open degree which is psychology based, my hubby is a joiner we decided that the bay of plenty is where want to move but this may alter when we visit next year.
the people on here are fantastic and really friendly so if you need any advice im sure they willl help you out. i must say tho it is an emotional rollercoaster but stay focused and you will be fine also do your research ect. i cant really give alot of advice about nz but if u do want to chat just give us a shout. i wish you all the best
ki x
thanks Ki,

your right it is an emotional rollercoaster and my husband would be happy to just go regardless tomorrow! It is a rollercoaster, we have travelled before the kids came but when i was offered a job (great position and salary) I just felt panic and felt that although it is the best thing for our family I needed to stay focused.
The whole point was so we would get a better quality of life with the kids, but this job would mean travelling quite a distance to work - defeats the object for me really!
So far without our trip our eye is on wellington or nelson, hence why we will hire a motorhome and just drive around.
We also choose to go in oct/nov because its getting warmer around that time despite it being costly and close to xmas ( we plan it to be our last here for sure).
I just find myself hating certain thigs in england ( stuff on the news etc) and i know NZ isnt perfect either but i feel it will enhance our family life. We have a good agent and our EOI goes off next week so fingers crossed!
Alison x
Old May 8th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

kira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant futurekira has a brilliant future

hi alison,
thats exactly how we feel i want my girls to have a better quality of life and in a way i want a more laid back approach as i hate this rat race life in england. we decided april first because the flights are cheaper and secondly (correct me if im wrong ) its winter or cold weather over there and this will give us a feel of what it will be like when it isnt glorious weather.
as i read on here nz is in recession also and maybe it might be a good idea to explore places around your job offer to see if there is anywhere that takes your fancy. my hubby backpacked round nz so has a rough idea of different places, funnily enough he never went to the bay of plenty so its bizaar why we want to live there .
we also have been to a seminar but i would say not to use an agent and do it yourself as the people on here are fantastic, also im sure there is a link on here with a persons expenditure and income which will give u a great idea what wage you need and also things to consider like childcare costs, uniform and school fees ect. im sure you will be fine tho and good luck with the eoi.
ki x
Old May 8th 2009, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Wow Alison.....you have your eye on Wellington...thats only 2 hours from where I have my eye (Wairarapa)...we could end up neighbours.....
Old May 8th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ki

Me on that emotional rollercoaster too

x
Old May 9th 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

As someone who moved from England to NZ 14 years ago i would strongly recommend anyone thinking of doing the same to go to Australia instead. I wish I had. It is just a much better, more positive, forward looking country than NZ. And the weathers better.
Old May 9th 2009, 3:52 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishheaven
As someone who moved from England to NZ 14 years ago i would strongly recommend anyone thinking of doing the same to go to Australia instead. I wish I had. It is just a much better, more positive, forward looking country than NZ. And the weathers better.
Thats just your opinion, btw , I would like to check out Oz in the future though... as I dont want to be here forever!

the weather is quite good here, better than the UK anyway
Old May 9th 2009, 3:53 am

And what is stopping you going to Oz now btw, as you can you have been in NZ 14 years!!!
Old May 9th 2009, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

englishheaven will become famous soon enoughenglishheaven will become famous soon enough

I dont want to leave my (adult) children who live here which is why i dont go back to the UK to live either. Just have to settle for regular trips to Aussie. Off next week for two weeks in Cairns. Cant wait.
Old May 9th 2009, 7:31 am

I dont want to leave my (adult) children who live here which is why i dont go back to the UK to live either. Just have to settle for regular trips to Aussie. Off next week for two weeks in Cairns. Cant wait.
aww i see and lucky you have a great time
Old May 9th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Lovely destination, but don't for get the correct Australian pronunciation, its
'Cans' like that place in the South of France, not Caaarrrns, but I don't know if there are too many locals left up there now, they all tend to leave..... oddly enough.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

i looked into oz before new zealand and yes they also have pro's and con's but the biggest con i saw was poisoness critters like the funnel web cain toads ect. i think id be too scared to sleep as im a bit of a wuss with creepy crawlies
the reason we decided on nz was the people are friendly and the country aint that big and great thing is i dont think it has poisoness creepies either.
Old May 10th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kira
i looked into oz before new zealand and yes they also have pro's and con's but the biggest con i saw was poisoness critters like the funnel web cain toads ect. i think id be too scared to sleep as im a bit of a wuss with creepy crawlies
the reason we decided on nz was the people are friendly and the country aint that big and great thing is i dont think it has poisoness creepies either.
Kira I agree totally - they are the same reasons as us! I'm really looking forward to it and in my head i have moved! however in reality it feels very up and down, mainly up!
Old May 10th 2009, 10:38 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

9 out of the worlds top ten dangerous creatures live in Oz, but to be fair you hardly ever see them or come across them especially in the cities. For me it was the non dangerous ones (well relatively so) that ‘bugged’ me – roaches, flies, rats, bluebottles (jellyfish), ants and all manner of beetles!

Having lived in Sydney, I can certainly see the attractions of the weather, and larger population (that’s more people not fatter!). However I find that some of the things I wanted to change about my life from South East England, like ‘the keeping up with the Jones’ attitude, and money is everything was just as prevalent on Sydney’s North Shore. Here in Wellington it doesn’t appear nearly as bad (though people are very protective about the suburb they live in and where their kids go to school!)

Anyway I wouldn’t rule out Australia because of the ‘critters’!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.