British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   New Graduate Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/new-graduate-advice-512063/)

whattodo2 Feb 5th 2008 7:35 pm

New Graduate Advice

Hi

I was just wondering if any one on this forum emigrated in their mid-twenties after having graduated from university, and what their experience was like. I'm planning on initially arriving on a 12 month working holiday visa and if everything works out applying for a skilled migrant visa (without a job offer I only have 100 points at the moment). If anyone has done something similar and could offer advice it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

happynz Feb 5th 2008 7:37 pm

Re: New Graduate Advice

Jeez, you are young and educated. No worries. Just come on out and have a go.

Annemarie85 Feb 7th 2008 10:23 am

I am in the same situation, I graduated last June and I am now thinking of the move. I am a bit more apprehensive about coming over after reading this forum and other bits on the internet.

Having been brought up in the UK, it is installed into us that the aim in life is to make money, live in a big house with a big car. I think the culture shock will be huge, yet at the same time I can see myself been happy there. I just need to decide which country to do my PGCE (Teaching) in. In the UK you get money to do this whereas in NZ you have to pay to do this.

Anyhow, I will keep reading around this forum and recommend that my parents have a read as they are thinking of making the move.

happynz Feb 7th 2008 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Annemarie85 (Post 5898527)
I am in the same situation, I graduated last June and I am now thinking of the move. I am a bit more apprehensive about coming over after reading this forum and other bits on the internet.

Just come on down and see with your own two eyes, feel the grass between your toes and sniff the sea-breeze.

Having been brought up in the UK, it is installed into us that the aim in life is to make money, live in a big house with a big car.

If that is what makes you happy, go for it. If you want something different, do that. As the song goes, 'You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself.'

I think the culture shock will be huge, yet at the same time I can see myself been happy there.

Huge culture difference? It will be different to the UK, yup. However, it's not like you'll be plunked down in Central Asia and be fed a stew of wolf tails and tree bark.

I just need to decide which country to do my PGCE (Teaching) in. In the UK you get money to do this whereas in NZ you have to pay to do this.

Do it in the UK. Bloody expensive here for international students.

Anyhow, I will keep reading around this forum and recommend that my parents have a read as they are thinking of making the move.

Good luck.

spoonguy Feb 7th 2008 11:55 pm

Well I moved to NZ 3 years after getting my degree, I already had a job offer as I was transferring from my company’s London office to their Hamilton office.
I’d say try and get a job offer as honestly having more points certainly speeds things along.
I was given residency with relatively little trouble, not that I’m sure yet that I want to live here permanently.
As far as money goes, rent is really cheap here which is what I assume you'll be doing? I have more disposable cash than I did in the UK but then I was living and renting in London.
Culture … In my opinion younger people go out a lot less here, mainly because of the cost of alcohol when you’re out. If they do go out they often meet up and drink at someone’s first maybe not going to town until 11ish. Much more likely to stay in or go to a mates house and drink there.
The music is mostly American rock / punk / rnb and a large dub following too. Certainly more acceptance for drugs, even if it is mostly party pills and weed most of the time.
The blokes I’d say are more blokey than your average brit, but then so are the girls.
There seems to be a lot less choice over most things, but then it is a smaller country.
All that said there is loads of space the people are on the most party friendly and if you’re in to sport they play just about everything.

whattodo2 Feb 9th 2008 11:09 am

Thanks for the input

"I’d say try and get a job offer as honestly having more points certainly speeds things along."

My plan is to go out next Jan/Feb on the 12/23 month working holiday visa to see what it's like, job opportunities etc etc. The problem is i'll be 24 by then with a politics/econmics degree and 4 years experience in office work, not excactly great demand for my 'skills'.

My main problems are that firstly i'm not sure if it's feasible to claim points on my EOI on any work experience i gain in New Zealand during my stay ifits not in an area of skills shortages, and Secondly if i can submit an EOI whilst in NZ on a Working Holiday Visa???

happynz Feb 9th 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by whattodo2 (Post 5908167)
My main problems are that firstly i'm not sure if it's feasible to claim points on my EOI on any work experience i gain in New Zealand during my stay if it's not in an area of skills shortages,

You can claim work experience if it is relevant to the the job offer. For example when I applied I claimed for work experience that wasn't on the skills shortage list, but my work experieces that I claimed were relevant to my job offer.

Originally Posted by whattodo2 (Post 5908167)
...and secondly if i can submit an EOI whilst in NZ on a Working Holiday Visa???

Sure, you can submit an EOI any ol' time you feel.

BEVS Feb 10th 2008 12:08 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5900455)
J
Huge culture difference? It will be different to the UK, yup. However, it's not like you'll be plunked down in Central Asia and be fed a stew of wolf tails and tree bark.

:lol:

Possum stew perhaps. :sneaky: