NEW TO FORUM

Old Feb 6th 2014, 11:58 am
Just Joined

simon1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NEW TO FORUM

Hi all I'm after some advise please, I am currently living and working in the UK, I have had a job offer from an agency in Auckland for full time permanent work, which will enable me to gain a work permit, and enter NZ to work, they have actually been open with me and said lots of guys do this get their working visa, and look for better work with other companies once they have arrived etc, just wondering on peoples thoughts on this. I am a HGV driver, so my skills are currently on the immediate skills shortage list, it just its a long way to come and bring my family, for what could turn out to be a short trip!!!
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: NEW TO FORUM

If there was/is job security then initially there is no real issue, Dont we all aspire to earn more/work less ect ect, so therfore looking for a better job is really a generalisic statement.

Restrictions on your visa may be more of an issue - e.g. are you ties to the agency or one specific company?

There are lots of people on here who know a great deal about the visa categories, restrictions and criteria - Im sure they can shine some light on this area.

What are your expectations of life in NZ? I love it here but others find that life here does not live up to what they thought it would be like.

Im sure people will express thier views in due course.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gazmac, thanks for your reply, I'm just looking for a possible better future for my family, I know it sounds idealistic, but, I have family in NZ and have vi.sited on a number of occasions, last year I came with my wife and daughter, and they loved the place, and most of all the people, I know where ever I am I will have to work hard to earn a crust, and do approx. 60 hours here to earn a living, I don't have this vision that it'll be any easier in NZ, but I hope that the time I do get off will be better spent in a much nicer place, with like minded people
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

I think it is a positive that you have been here already and also have family here. The support of others/family can be a big help when trying to settle.

I like the idealistic approach, it mirrors my own.

I truly beleive NZ to be a better place to live. (as opposed to Scotland)

True, their are a lot of differencies, some people may call them negatives but its all relative and everyone is different.

Some of the main issues that seem to be raised commonly are:-

The cost of living is higher
House prices are a contentious issue
Rental accommodation can be expensive and of poor quality.

None of these really effected my desicion to stay here but I didnt uproot a family to make the switch so it can be hard to compare.

Where would you be looking to settle area wise?
Old Feb 6th 2014, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

The family are along the Kapiti coast, I obviously like it there, but Im fairly open, Ive not had great experience's in Auckland, so that has put me off there. For my wife's and my daughters sake it'd be good to be near the family as settling in could be an issue with me working my wotsits off, she's a classroom assistant here, so I'm sure she'd like to hopefully find something in those lines. I'm actually considering coming over, trying the job offer which is in Auckland, maybe just renting a room for me, job hunting for 'something better, in a better place' and then bringing the family over.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

There have been recent posts about Auckland and the costs of living there and also in regard to classroom assistants have a look at those in the main forum if you can.

Having family here id be inclined to suggest living closer to them if this is at all possible, at least initially - this should help settling in, My partner found that having no family here was horrible and she was lonely for a while which could have ended our time in NZ , fortunately it didnt.

Coming on your own is a possibility if you dont mind being away from your family for a prolonged period. You may find this to be a viable option in regard to finding altenative work but this could also take time and while working full time may be difficult

Could you search for employment in Wellington prior to coming over? Much closer to the Kapati Coast.

I lived in Auckland for over two years and it was Ok, I have recently moved to Nelson and enjoy it much more.

Depends what you want really.
Old Feb 6th 2014, 7:44 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by simon1967
Hi all I'm after some advise please, I am currently living and working in the UK, I have had a job offer from an agency in Auckland for full time permanent work, which will enable me to gain a work permit, and enter NZ to work, they have actually been open with me and said lots of guys do this get their working visa, and look for better work with other companies once they have arrived etc, just wondering on peoples thoughts on this. I am a HGV driver, so my skills are currently on the immediate skills shortage list, it just its a long way to come and bring my family, for what could turn out to be a short trip!!!
In a bit of a hurry, so hi and sorry this is a bit bluntish.

Truck driving is not seen as skilled , so the only way I know that you could gain security by becoming an NZ resident is a WTR visa. Work to Resident.

WTR needs the employer to be NZIS accredited and also for the employee to earn $55K pa per 40 hour week.
Truck drives do not earn this. Some tankers drivers might.
I have only ever read of one tanker driver gaining residency via the WTR route. That person came out as a tanker driver with the required salary.

AFAIK, Truck Driver is to be removed from the immediate shortage list at the end of this month so the only employer that could employ you would be an NZIS accredited one.

If you got your skates on in the next 3 weeks, yes, you could arrive here to work for any NZ employer under a year temp work permit. It is doubtful that work permit would be renewed at the end of it's life.

You could get a job offer from an accredited NZIS employer and gain a work permit. That could be renewable as the NZ employer pays NZIS to be accredited to take on overseas workers.

Whether or not you could gain the 55K pa to apply for WTR I don't know.

You would have to remain with NZIS accredited employers to be able to stay on a temp work permit. Temp work permits are renewable.

If you worked for an accredited employer but the pay was under 55K pa then you would be forever on a temp work permit which does not offer family security really and leaves you at the mercy of NZIS rule changes.

On a quick final note - please be wary of being told that a sizeable wage rise would arrive after xxxxx months or so.

If you come as a truck driver bonded to an NZIS accredited employer , ensure in writing that your salary will be $55K PA if you are ever to stand a chance of NZ residency.

If you are happy to come for a year experience then take a punt.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

demadpaddy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi if you are willing to go out alone first a few of my friends have got residency by going out to drive trucks for local agricultural contractors for the silage and harvest season as they tend to use wagon and drags rather than tractors and trailers.
Then through local contacts they secured work with fonterra who are accredited employers and secured there residency and brought there family's over.

If you really want to move theirs always options to be explored.
My family and I make the move in august to rural Canterbury for alot more time at home with the family and lot less at work going from a 120+ hour week to 45.