Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

New flag for the kiwis!

New flag for the kiwis!

Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:48 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default New flag for the kiwis!

Has anyone seen the new national flag for New Zealand.

Looks pretty good actually. Still has the four stars and then a silver fern on a red and black background in the corner to replace our union jack.

Must say I still find it offensive that they're allowed to use our flag on theirs anyway.

Does this also mean they will leave the commonwealth and fend for themselves without assistance from the uk and australia, and perhaps forge stronger links with China?
Old Feb 14th 2009, 3:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New flag for the kiwis!

The New Zealand Flag has not been changed:
http://www.mch.govt.nz/nzflag/

also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Flag
http://www.nzflaginstitute.org/index_page0001.htm
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all
Default Just wondering...

Just wondering why last post is showing an Australian flag ?!?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Err it's an NZ flag (with red stars!)
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
Has anyone seen the new national flag for New Zealand.

Looks pretty good actually. Still has the four stars and then a silver fern on a red and black background in the corner to replace our union jack.

Must say I still find it offensive that they're allowed to use our flag on theirs anyway.

Does this also mean they will leave the commonwealth and fend for themselves without assistance from the uk and australia, and perhaps forge stronger links with China?
a lot of Kiwi's find it offensive that we have to use your flag pascair.

Care to remind me what aid NZ gets from the UK and Aus.

Right now Aus is once more getting a lot of Kiwi aid fighting their bush fires.

Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:13 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
a lot of Kiwi's find it offensive that we have to use your flag pascair.

Care to remind me what aid NZ gets from the UK and Aus.

Right now Aus is once more getting a lot of Kiwi aid fighting their bush fires.

Well change it then, you guys chose it!

A lot of cash strapped immigrants for starters!

Wow, four dogs and a few fireman a week after the event, and you still make it sound like a chore rather than a gesture of goodwill...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

The Returned Servicemen Association want to retain the NZ flag in its present form. This is the flag they fought under and the one which their friends died defending. The flag will not be changed until the last member of the RSA has passed away. Pascair because you find it offensive that the Union Jack is on the NZ flag - you should make a formal complaint in person , at your local RSA .

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Feb 15th 2009 at 7:22 am.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

For those "our flaggers" please keep in mind that the Union Flag features in many jurisdictions which are part of the heritage of British people moving out into the world to make their way in life, creating a living out of the wilderness and then in the new cities and towns that sprang up in Canada, New Zealand, Australia and many other places. In Canada, the union flag was on a red background. I forget what the red ensign is associated with, but it was used in Canada, with a portion of the Coat of Arms of Canada on it. Almost all the provincial and territorial flags of Canada have a union flag in the corner or is represented in some other way. Keep in mind that the majority of people now living in Canada, New Zealand and elsewhere trace their family roots to the UK. One has only to travel around these countries and see in every town and city a cenotaph or other monument to those lost in the wars. They are the same monuments in each country errected for the same purpose. Many of those who died will have had family members still in the UK. Indeed, it is my feeling that we are all part of the greater family of Anglo Saxons who have made their way in the world. There is no "our flag" exclusive to those who live currently in the UK. The Union Flag (only a Jack on a ship) is one of those emblems and institutions that link as all together. It is not a symbol of division as represented here. I have photos of my grandfather, though born in Ontario, fought in the first war in the Canadian Expeditionary Force under British Army leadership. At the time, the Union Flag was the flag of Canada. So, please, don't appropriate this great symbol to suit your small minded view when it is a symbol much wider and greater than your vision.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
For those "our flaggers" please keep in mind that the Union Flag features in many jurisdictions which are part of the heritage of British people moving out into the world to make their way in life, creating a living out of the wilderness and then in the new cities and towns that sprang up in Canada, New Zealand, Australia and many other places. In Canada, the union flag was on a red background. I forget what the red ensign is associated with, but it was used in Canada, with a portion of the Coat of Arms of Canada on it. Almost all the provincial and territorial flags of Canada have a union flag in the corner or is represented in some other way. Keep in mind that the majority of people now living in Canada, New Zealand and elsewhere trace their family roots to the UK. One has only to travel around these countries and see in every town and city a cenotaph or other monument to those lost in the wars. They are the same monuments in each country errected for the same purpose. Many of those who died will have had family members still in the UK. Indeed, it is my feeling that we are all part of the greater family of Anglo Saxons who have made their way in the world. There is no "our flag" exclusive to those who live currently in the UK. The Union Flag (only a Jack on a ship) is one of those emblems and institutions that link as all together. It is not a symbol of division as represented here. I have photos of my grandfather, though born in Ontario, fought in the first war in the Canadian Expeditionary Force under British Army leadership. At the time, the Union Flag was the flag of Canada. So, please, don't appropriate this great symbol to suit your small minded view when it is a symbol much wider and greater than your vision.
I agree with you can2nz and I'm the first to donate to my local RSA and have a lot of time for that generation.

But you'll find (and bellasmum post confirms my point) that this new generation of kiwis have a different attitude and so do not deserve to use our union jack (NOT union flag, tch)
Old Feb 15th 2009, 7:40 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

as ca2nz said, it's not just 'your' flag.

I am a kiwi but my heritage is entirely from the British Isles. I still have relatives there. Having said that, I've always thought we needed a new flag because we are no longer a British colony. Plus I'm tired of having our flag mistaken for the aussies' all the time. Not very original
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice

I.... and so do not deserve to use our union jack (NOT union flag, tch)

If you must be pedantic it is only the Union Jack when flown at the bow of a ship! I will now duck behind a parapet somewhere as this subject can get very heated, and as far as I am aware there is no formal and correct judgment as to whether you call it the "Union Jack" or the "Union Flag".

I personally like the fact that many Commonwealth countries have retained the Union Flag as part of their own. It is also worth pointing out that at least one US state retains the Union Flag as part of its state flag...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CharlesMacLeod
If you must be pedantic it is only the Union Jack when flown at the bow of a ship! I will now duck behind a parapet somewhere as this subject can get very heated, and as far as I am aware there is no formal and correct judgment as to whether you call it the "Union Jack" or the "Union Flag".

I personally like the fact that many Commonwealth countries have retained the Union Flag as part of their own. It is also worth pointing out that at least one US state retains the Union Flag as part of its state flag...
I've never called it a union flag or heard anyone else call it that.

I think it's fine for a country to use the UNION JACK if they are proud to do so but if not they should move on like USA, Canada for example.

The only countries I can think of that use the union jack other than nz and oz are some of the pacific islands and if they're proud of they're history while still having their own sense of identity why not?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:50 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's fine for a country to use the UNION JACK if they are proud to do so but if not they should move on like USA, Canada for example.

The only countries I can think of that use the union jack other than nz and oz are some of the pacific islands and if they're proud of they're history while still having their own sense of identity why not?
a matter for debate it would seem..

(from the source of all knowledge ...and much rubbish! - Wikipedia)

Whether to use "Union Flag" or "Union Jack" is a matter of debate. One view is that "Union Jack" should be used only for the flag when it is flown as a jack (a small flag flown at the bow of a ship),[3] but it is not universally accepted that the "Jack" of "Union Jack" is a reference to such a jack flag and is only an educated guess.[4]

The Flag Institute, the vexillological organisation for the United Kingdom, stated that the term Union Flag is a "relatively recent idea". It also noted that "From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".[2] Nevertheless, the term "Union Flag" is used in King James's proclamations of 1606 and 1634[citation needed], and in King George III's proclamation of 1 January 1801 concerning the arms and flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.[citation needed
]

By the way the State of Hawaii has a Union jack on it's flag....I wonder if they feel a pressing need to change it?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
a matter for debate it would seem..

(from the source of all knowledge ...and much rubbish! - Wikipedia)

Whether to use "Union Flag" or "Union Jack" is a matter of debate. One view is that "Union Jack" should be used only for the flag when it is flown as a jack (a small flag flown at the bow of a ship),[3] but it is not universally accepted that the "Jack" of "Union Jack" is a reference to such a jack flag and is only an educated guess.[4]

The Flag Institute, the vexillological organisation for the United Kingdom, stated that the term Union Flag is a "relatively recent idea". It also noted that "From early in its life the Admiralty itself frequently referred to the flag as the Union Jack, whatever its use, and in 1902 an Admiralty Circular announced that Their Lordships had decided that either name could be used officially. Such use was given Parliamentary approval in 1908 when it was stated that "the Union Jack should be regarded as the National flag".[2] Nevertheless, the term "Union Flag" is used in King James's proclamations of 1606 and 1634[citation needed], and in King George III's proclamation of 1 January 1801 concerning the arms and flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.[citation needed
]

By the way the State of Hawaii has a Union jack on it's flag....I wonder if they feel a pressing need to change it?
Is Hawaii a country now?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

wattsnz has a brilliant futurewattsnz has a brilliant futurewattsnz has a brilliant futurewattsnz has a brilliant futurewattsnz has a brilliant futurewattsnz has a brilliant futurewattsnz has a brilliant future

In this case I think you'll find Wikipedia is your friend...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Flag

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.