New to Dunners

Old Dec 14th 2009, 7:26 am
Just Joined

alsfletch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to Dunners

Hi my names claire me n my partner alan moved here in june biggest jump we made had never been to nz before, we have made some friends through my job but i work for a small practice so this consists of about 4people. We are still looking to meet new people in the area we are both late 20s and as much as we enjoy social sports and happy to join social teams we do not know where to begin. As we are not quite fitness finatics yet. Does anyone know of any good ways of meeting new people in our area apart from social sports, are there any community meetings for new comers? we have both joined teams through our work friends but would like to meet other people but its where to start anyone got some handy tips? Help?
Old Dec 14th 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to Dunners

Hi Claire

Welcome to Dunners. We arrived on 1st July so are newbies like you.We had never been here before either. However, my OH and I are in early 40's with 2 boys aged 9 and 7 so not likely to move in the same social circles. I am a nurse at DPH.We haven't really met a lot of people but find having kids makes it a bit easier to say hello to people. A few others on here are in Dunners......southerner,fooferfish,SLH,georgetoni so they may be able to help you more. Just wanted to say hello really.

Phyl x
Old Dec 14th 2009, 4:01 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Claire & Alan
Not in NZ yet....arrive 1st Feb. Just wanted to say 'welcome' and good luck!!
Think those of you that make the move never having visited are so brave and true pioneers!! Enjoy and I'm sure you'll soon get some new buddies.
B x
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:22 pm

george toni is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Welcome to Dunedin!

tough one to answer this as for us it was through work,schools and this site that we made freinds.

I would say that the uni here has a good social scene (not all mad parties and not all 18 year olds!) so it might be worth contacting them or going in for a look at what they can offer. I realise you might not be students but no harm in looking.

Go online and do a search on dunedin clubs or you could pop in to the council offices/library and ask them in their. Dont feel stupid doing this as most people here are really freindly and would be only to happy to point you in the right direction.

Do you play any instruments or sing? might sound strange but if so there is a programe called weekend warriors which starts early next year.

Its for AMATUREs and I mean that! who want to 'band up' im thinking of joining it (drummer) scary but its all run really well and looks fun.

Point is there are many thuings like that here that you only find by accident so a web search or library visit is well worth a shot.

You guy's would be more than welcome to pop around for coffee

what are you doing for christmas as again you would be more than welcome to join us for some post xmas dinner/boxing day feast fun.

Its a madhouse here as I have four daughters emma 20,katie 17,becky 11 and lucy 10, 3 dogs and four guinnea pigs im george 43 and toni is my wife 40.

Sorry we are old gits but even if you just want a chat and the heads up on dunedin feel free to drop by.

all the best and welcome

george

we run a VERY informal house
Old Dec 14th 2009, 5:33 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Hi we are in Dunedin too. We are a familoy of 3 OH and me and a 13 year old daughter. I found the details below on the DCC website it may be of some help to you. Have you heard of the Dunedin masters games held in Jan/Feb there are a lot of people who take part in the games and there is a big social scene at night held in the Uni grounds. Welcome and good luck. Just PM me if you would like anymore info. Louise

http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/services/...wcomer-support

Who is the Dunedin Settlement Support Co-ordinator?
Fi McKay
Fi McKay brings 25 years of Social and Community Development background to her position of Settlement Support Coordinator within the EDU. Fi has been the co-ordinator since 2006 and has established Settlement Support in Dunedin. She works from the Economic Development Unit of the Dunedin City Council offices and can be contacted on 474 3332 or [email protected]

Fi McKay
Settlement Co-ordinator
Economic Development Unit
Dunedin City Council
Dunedin
New Zealand
(03) 474 3332
[email protected]
Old Dec 16th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

alsfletch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alsfletch View Post
Hi my names claire me n my partner alan moved here in june biggest jump we made had never been to nz before, we have made some friends through my job but i work for a small practice so this consists of about 4people. We are still looking to meet new people in the area we are both late 20s and as much as we enjoy social sports and happy to join social teams we do not know where to begin. As we are not quite fitness finatics yet. Does anyone know of any good ways of meeting new people in our area apart from social sports, are there any community meetings for new comers? we have both joined teams through our work friends but would like to meet other people but its where to start anyone got some handy tips? Help?
Hi thank you to all who have welcomed us here to dunedin, we have already seen fi mckay we did that when we first got here but i was wondering if there where any expat meetings? Thanks for all the tips and advice will get to it n hopefully i can let you know how it goes soon. PS thanks to the offers to meet up we may well take you up on that. Any more ideas please pass on. Thanks again claire